free website stats program Check Engine Light | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

Check Engine Light

Ok, after some looking I haven't been able to find the section for clearing codes. Can someone please point me in the right directions.

I think the code is still occuring, the light came on more often and for a longer duration this morning. I am ready to start pulling my hair out.

Thanks,
Jeff

It's half way down the home page.

Diagnostics, Alarms/Security, and Fuel Injection Related. - Harley Davidson Community

If the light goes out after the second lighting, it's a historic code and will take care of itself after 50 start and run cycles of at least 30 seconds each.

If it were a current code, the light would remain lit while running.

The light does come on about 4 seconds after the bike is started and then goes out. It is also coming on while I am going down the highway then goes out. It happens only when I am moving, not stopped at lights. It came on 3 times this morning, the first for about 5 seconds, the second for about 12 seconds and the third for about 1 min. The bike never missed a beat, didn't sputter, miss, hesitate, loose power, lights didn't flicker, instrument gauges didn't get out of normal operating range. If something was actually happening when the light comes on it would be so much easier to find the problem.

Thanks,
Jeff

You have to work on pulling the code or clearing the error code.

If you have the need to look in the self help forum for something , go to the top left of the home page and click on Quick Links Tips Forums It will give you a listing of anything in there.

Also just as food for thought, if it comes on while riding, I know you said you cleaned the VSS on the trans but they will often fool you and still set the code and have to be replaced. Best way is get a code out of the system. If you come up with P0501 VSS Low Carb or P0501 VSS Low EFI , you know where the problem is then.

Ok, I am loosing my mind and pulling out what little hair I have left.

Today the engine light came on while driving and stayed on almost all the way home, about 15 miles this time, longest it has ever been on. The bike never missed a step. The gauges didn't fluctuate lights didn't dim, no sputtering, hesitating, in fact I even accelerated from 65 to 75 without any issue.

I guess I am going to have to break down and spend the $200 at the dealership for them to tell me the codes. Hope they have better luck than me getting them to display.

Thank you for your assistance Glider, you have been very patient.

Jeff

I had about the same event on my '07 fxst, when going down the light kept coming on then going off. when I would would get on the throttle the light would come on then go off. I would clear the codes but it kept doing it. the code I was getting was no combustion in the rear cylinder. It turned out to be as simple as changing the spark plug wires. you might give it a shot if you can't figure out the code.
P.S. the bike ran fine when it was happening. Hope this helps

Ok, I am loosing my mind and pulling out what little hair I have left.

Today the engine light came on while driving and stayed on almost all the way home, about 15 miles this time, longest it has ever been on. The bike never missed a step. The gauges didn't fluctuate lights didn't dim, no sputtering, hesitating, in fact I even accelerated from 65 to 75 without any issue.

I guess I am going to have to break down and spend the $200 at the dealership for them to tell me the codes. Hope they have better luck than me getting them to display.

Thank you for your assistance Glider, you have been very patient.

Jeff

Jeff

I wish I could have done more but without the diagnostic code, it's difficult to tell anything. It becomes a guessing game.

Well I think I have narrowed it down to 1 of 2 things. Last night I drained 360cc's of oil out of the crankcase. When the bike was level on the jack the oil was about 1/4" above the full line. Now it is 1/4" below the line.

The second thing I did was replace the Screaming Eagle mufflers with the stock ones. The stock ones have been modified, I took all the baffles out. When I replaced them last time I left the torque cones in. Could the torque cones along with the Screaming Eagles create too much back pressure?

Well this morning the light never came on. If the light stays off on the way home tonight I am going to replace the stock mufflers with the Screaming Eagles and see what happens tomorrow morning. If I don't get another code I guess I know what the problem was and if I do get a code I will stop at the Harley shop and get new exhaust gaskets.

I still can't get the d@mn thing to go into diagnostic mode.

Jeff

Sorry, with my luck I had to post one more time. Staying at the number before 14 would just help me continue the same streak of luck.

Jeff

Ok, I am loosing my mind and pulling out what little hair I have left.Jeff

Hello Bighead, :)
Sorry to hear about all your troubles, am with Glider's I don't think changing the exhaust will affect the ECU, neither the oil level.

Am willing to bet a ground wire is loose and giving you all the trouble.

That's one reason alots of oldtimers are hesitant to Fuel Injection Systems because is a little complicated but they are usually trouble free. Carbs are more user friendly.:yes
I hope you get all figure out soon and enjoy your rides trouble free:D

Well I think I have narrowed it down to 1 of 2 things. Last night I drained 360cc's of oil out of the crankcase. When the bike was level on the jack the oil was about 1/4" above the full line. Now it is 1/4" below the line.

The second thing I did was replace the Screaming Eagle mufflers with the stock ones. The stock ones have been modified, I took all the baffles out. When I replaced them last time I left the torque cones in. Could the torque cones along with the Screaming Eagles create too much back pressure?

Well this morning the light never came on. If the light stays off on the way home tonight I am going to replace the stock mufflers with the Screaming Eagles and see what happens tomorrow morning. If I don't get another code I guess I know what the problem was and if I do get a code I will stop at the Harley shop and get new exhaust gaskets.

I still can't get the d@mn thing to go into diagnostic mode.

Jeff

Quite possible with too much oil in the system that it was getting foamed and you may have had a problem like low oil pressure. The oil in the sump can usually range from 1-2 ounces without a problem. More than that indicates a sumping problem which usually comes from a misaligned/damaged oil pump.
It's not a good idea to remove that sump plug in any event unless you are checking for sumping in the engine.

The lack of baffles plus the addition of the torque cones will negate each other pretty much. Low back pressure in the exhaust will loose bottom end torque and the FI motors are very sensitive to this. They need back pressure to an extent to run properly.

Back