free website stats program Check Engine Light | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Check Engine Light

Glider Thanks for all the info i have printed and plan to take it to the Dealership to see what they do. Thanks Se 103

Glider, you seem to be a wealth of information. I was revisiting the issue in mind again last night and thought maybe it was a spark plug wire going bad, so have purchased a new set of SE plug wires and the new plug incase it was a bad plug as well. The plugs in this machine only have about 3500 miles on them currently, but sometimes failures like this do happen. If I dont end up using the plug will just stick it in my bag in case of emergency.
Now I am going to throw another wrinkle on this, since I am planning on installing the Stage 1 high flow kit and download, do they need to correct this before they go further? or just install the new download? Opinion? I only want to have to leave it for and pay for service 1 time at the standard dealer labor rate. Thanks again for all your help.

Your best bet is to stay with stock type wires and plugs for the reason of the ION sensing. The ECM detects the resistance that it takes to fire the plug and if it detects a knock or ping which will vary the resistance, it adjusts the timing accordingly to eliminate it by retarding the timing for that duty cycle. Being that they are SE wires you got, I would assume the resistance would be the same as the stock wires but to me it isn't worth gambling on it being the ION sensing works well and I don't want to mess with a good thing.

Read more about ION sensing here.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/diagnosti...d/762-tc_ion_sensing_detection_explained.html

As far as the download, Once you bring it to the dealers attention about the corrected download, It's his decision what to do here. The download only over rights the parameters of the map in the ECM and does not replace it completely. If it were me, I would ask them to do the correction FIRST and then do the stage 1 download on top of it. The correction download should not cost you because it was a problem with the map from the factory. The digital tech (HD Computer) will be hooked to your bike in any event to do the stage 1 download, so it only takes a few additional minutes to do the correction first.
Just bring in the info to the dealer so he doesn't try to fool with you. If they still do try, you'll be the first to know when the error code comes back, then the dealer gets to do it over again at his time and expense and you know he took a shortcut in the first place by just doing the stage 1 download.

Last edited:
Glider, Finally got ahold of the dealer where I bought the bike and seems there is an emissions warranty that covers the cost on this issue (as long as the bike has less than 16,000 miles, from what I was told), I will get it in next week and post the results. Thanks for the info.

Hello just wanted to let you know got the Revised Calibation done. The Tech that done the work said it had never been changed from what it came with said it had a B download needed a C download. I have put about 1500 miles on it no more Check Engine light. Thanks for all the help
SE103

Back