free website stats program Bagger engine build | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bagger engine build

My question: if quick install push rods were used couldn't they be backed off (or removed entirely) until the valves were seated and then proceed with the test as usual?

Yes, you could leak down that way; just a lot of trouble to go through for a leak down test. One could also remove the rocker covers and the rocker supports as well. That would be less time consuming but still a PITN.

jennmarr said:
Finally got the info on the pistons. According to S&S Technical Assistance, each valve pocket has a volume of 2cc giving a negative dome value of 4cc.

I would still be inclined to the 585, assuming chamber volume is 85cc and head gasket thickness at .030", what it should be for tight squish.

TMan's 590 or 600 would work well, as would the Andrews 57. Having said that, for a two up touring application, I would be more inclined to a lower lift, shorter duration cam like the Andres 37. Still plenty of compression and torque; you would probably see as much TQ, perhaps a little lest HP from the 37 as with the longer cams but with less wear/tear on the valve train and proably a quieter motor. JMHO

Just some THOUGHT....

I remember one of My early builds (Phone call to Jerry Branch):D

Building my 883 to 1200. Wanting Low End Torque.

Using 10.5 Wiseco pistons (883 to 1200 = 1/2" larger diameter bore)

Then Jerry Branch's advice for a bike that would Climb a POLE....
"Used the stock 883 Heads..."

MAN, could you FEEL the compression when Idling... Standing behind that bike and the FORCE Knocking against my body,,,, Great.

Way back then, Never Knew what I had...AND neither did the big bikes in my mirrors...

Asking Jerry Branch "Now What about Cams?"

he YELLED across the Phone.... "You said you wanted low end torque,,,,,,, Now you want to Cam it All Away???"

Thanks Jerry.... Food For Thought here....

signed....BUBBIE

New TTS Mastertune arrived yesterday. Hoping I can get to play with it some this afternoon.

Dolt, I think I am going to delay any decision on cams until I get the motor opened up this winter. If rod end play or pinion shaft runout are unacceptable I am thinking of going to a 117" build. If those two numbers are good, I will leave the bottom end alone and go with a 103" build. I appreciate your advice on this.

New TTS Mastertune arrived yesterday. Hoping I can get to play with it some this afternoon.

Dolt, I think I am going to delay any decision on cams until I get the motor opened up this winter. If rod end play or pinion shaft runout are unacceptable I am thinking of going to a 117" build. If those two numbers are good, I will leave the bottom end alone and go with a 103" build. I appreciate your advice on this.

A 117" motor is strong and dependable; what I should have built when Hoban Brothers (AKA Darkhorse) had my lower unit and crank in for their treatment but I built an all bore 107". Very strong runner but I should have known that I would want more motor after a season of riding the 107". I will be getting around to the 117", probably next year. Too easy, all I need is to replace the crank; just a lot of work.

Let me know how you get on with the VTune feature of the TTS.

I hope it is dependable if I go that route. Will that be capable of going 100k miles?

MasterTune:
I got the canned map installed on Saturday, but that was all I had time to do.

Two up, loaded and a trailer would definitely point you to the 551 or a cam with a similar profile like the SE255, TMan Torkster 555 or the Andrews 48. Work with head porter and get the compression right for whichever cam set you choose and good luck with the project; half the fun is building.:D

Seeing you have covered this...:D

I guess repeat is not a bad thing though. Better to be on the I told you so side.

These Longer threads are hard to keep up on IF you only read the latest end page postings and doing so several days latter...

A LOT of GOOOOd information in here...
So to All,,, Go read it again to Absorb it fully...:D

signed....BUBBIE

Just some THOUGHT....

I remember one of My early builds (Phone call to Jerry Branch):D

Building my 883 to 1200. Wanting Low End Torque.

Using 10.5 Wiseco pistons (883 to 1200 = 1/2" larger diameter bore)

Then Jerry Branch's advice for a bike that would Climb a POLE....
"Used the stock 883 Heads..."

MAN, could you FEEL the compression when Idling... Standing behind that bike and the FORCE Knocking against my body,,,, Great.

Way back then, Never Knew what I had...AND neither did the big bikes in my mirrors...

Asking Jerry Branch "Now What about Cams?"

he YELLED across the Phone.... "You said you wanted low end torque,,,,,,, Now you want to Cam it All Away???"

Thanks Jerry.... Food For Thought here....

signed....BUBBIE
After re reading this thread, I have to say IMO Jerry Branch laid the ground work for The MOCO and the after market for cams and flow bench testing, He forgot more than most will know about how to make a V Twin breathe, with him and the famous xr750 racing team they set many records. I bet it was a joy to talk to him, Thanks for the post Bubbie:D

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would update my progress on the old scoot. After much consideration and a lengthy conversation with Arn at Atwood Performance I decided to go with Andrews 54H cams, Keith Black forged pistons, Screamin’ Eagle adjustable pushrods, and a TTS Mastertune fueler. I am retaining the Rinehart True Duals and the SE air cleaner. My cylinders have been bored to 103” and Atwood Performance did the head work.

Attachments

• Flow Test.jpg
    Flow Test.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Parts.jpg
    Parts.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 42
I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would update my progress on the old scoot. After much consideration and a lengthy conversation with Arn at Atwood Performance I decided to go with Andrews 54H cams, Keith Black forged pistons, Screamin’ Eagle adjustable pushrods, and a TTS Mastertune fueler. I am retaining the Rinehart True Duals and the SE air cleaner. My cylinders have been bored to 103” and Atwood Performance did the head work.

Darn GOOD Looking Flow...

signed....BUBBIE

Back