free website stats program Bagger engine build | Harley Davidson Forums

Bagger engine build

Jennmarr

The old scoot ('07 FLHTCU with 116k right now) is going to be due for an engine overhaul this winter. It will be close to 125k when the riding season is over. The engine has never been opened up and the only mods are a SE air cleaner and Rinehart True Duals. We do a lot of two up touring and occasionally pull a trailer as well. My considerations for the overhaul are:
1, maintain reliability.
2, more power.
3, preserve reasonable fuel economy.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Now would be the time for a performance cam and adjustable push rods, with some fuel management

I see I did not do a very good job of posing my questions. HDDon, I don't mean to discount your suggestion of a reman engine, but for the same money I can build an engine that will significantly out perform what Harley will provide. I did not mean to ask whether or not to add cubic inches and a performance cam, but rather how many inches, which cam, and what head work to have done. Given the number of miles on the heads a valve job is the absolute minimum that needs to be done. The question there is, given the way I will be using the bike, do I have anything done to the heads beyond that.

The Andrews 48 and S&S 551 EZ start cams have been giving very good results in baggers. They pull from under 2,000 rpm, and give good fuel mileage. They don't require anything special, bolt in. A good fuel tuner helps them a lot. I've seen dyno sheets of close to 100 ' tq and 85 hp on 96 cu.in. engines.
It was on the internet, so it has to be true.

I was looking at the S&S 106" kit with the 551 cams. It looks very attractive and S&S has about as good a reputation as anyone in the Harley world. Probably will go that kit and a TTS Mastertune unless someone here convinces me to go another route.

I was looking at the S&S 106" kit with the 551 cams. It looks very attractive and S&S has about as good a reputation as anyone in the Harley world. Probably will go that kit and a TTS Mastertune unless someone here convinces me to go another route.

The S&S 106 kit with S&S 585 cams, a "street" port job on your heads by BigBoyz or the head porter of your choice along with the TTS unit and a good tune will put a smile on your face. Upgrade the inner cam bearings, cam chain tensioners, oil pump, lifters and pushrods. The new S&S lifters are nice, a bit pricey, but good hardware; on the lower end of the price scale are the CompCams VThunder lifters; also good hardware but much cheaper. SE Tapered Quick Install, S&S or Smith Brothers adjustable pushrods are all good stuff. The Rineharts should work well with that combination.

Set the motor up at 9.3 to 9.4 corrected CR; 185-190psi CCP and you will be impressed with the performance. Reliability is as good as any OEM motor but subject to the skills of the builder. Fuel economy will suffer a bit but well worth it. JMHO

The S&S 106 kit with S&S 585 cams, a "street" port job on your heads by BigBoyz or the head porter of your choice along with the TTS unit and a good tune will put a smile on your face. Upgrade the inner cam bearings, cam chain tensioners, oil pump, lifters and pushrods. The new S&S lifters are nice, a bit pricey, but good hardware; on the lower end of the price scale are the CompCams VThunder lifters; also good hardware but much cheaper. SE Tapered Quick Install, S&S or Smith Brothers adjustable pushrods are all good stuff. The Rineharts should work well with that combination.

Set the motor up at 9.3 to 9.4 corrected CR; 185-190psi CCP and you will be impressed with the performance. Reliability is as good as any OEM motor but subject to the skills of the builder. Fuel economy will suffer a bit but well worth it. JMHO

Dolt, I have a couple of questions. Why the 585 instead of the 551? If I am reading the S&S literature correctly, they are recommending the 551 cam for my application. Second, specifically what are you recommending I use when you say to "Upgrade the inner cam bearings, cam chain tensioners, oil pump"? Also, what kind of mileage should I expect from this combination? Thanks for your input.

Back