free website stats program Bagger engine build | Page 8 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bagger engine build

Just got home from the dyno tune. Good news is that it runs great! Bad news is I don't have enough clutch. He told to bring it back when I get the clutch solved and he would run it again to verify the tune and get me an accurate HP/Torque graph.

One way to go...

I bought the SE clutch spring at about 380# (i think)

Take off the outer primary and unbolt the stock one and install the SE..

My 103" was doing the same slip with the stock clutch spring. Now it holds Great.

Not expensive at all... Under 50$ for sure.

signed....BUBBIE

One way to go...

I bought the SE clutch spring at about 380# (i think)

Take off the outer primary and unbolt the stock one and install the SE..

My 103" was doing the same slip with the stock clutch spring. Now it holds Great.

Not expensive at all... Under 50$ for sure.

signed....BUBBIE

What did that do to the feel at the lever? Stiffer pull?

What did that do to the feel at the lever? Stiffer pull?

Definitely a stiffer pull whcih may be OK with you. As Bubbie says, quick and cheap install for the return trip to the dyno. Run it for a while and if you find the pull too heavy, consider the AIM Variable Pressure clutch; pull will be about 75% of stock. Another option is one of the EZ pull ramp kits; the Harley kit is as good as any. Some of the aftermarket kits require a little dremel work on the inside of the housing.

I use both on my all bore 107; VP clutch and EZ pull ramp.

AIM CorpVP Clutch Series

Definitely a stiffer pull whcih may be OK with you. As Bubbie says, quick and cheap install for the return trip to the dyno. Run it for a while and if you find the pull too heavy, consider the AIM Variable Pressure clutch; pull will be about 75% of stock. Another option is one of the EZ pull ramp kits; the Harley kit is as good as any. Some of the aftermarket kits require a little dremel work on the inside of the housing.

I use both on my all bore 107; VP clutch and EZ pull ramp.

AIM CorpVP Clutch Series

I did a little looking at the options you suggested. The AIM VP is certainly a viable possibility. Pretty sure that is what my son is installing in his 124" bagger. However, the only HD reduces effort kit I could find is a new release ramp and ball. Seems like that kit has been adopted as standard equipment since the '06 model year, which means I already have it in my bike. Did I miss something?

I did a little looking at the options you suggested. The AIM VP is certainly a viable possibility. Pretty sure that is what my son is installing in his 124" bagger. However, the only HD reduces effort kit I could find is a new release ramp and ball. Seems like that kit has been adopted as standard equipment since the '06 model year, which means I already have it in my bike. Did I miss something?

Honestly, I don't know as I don't keep up with what is standard equipment beyond '05. Both my bikes are early models, '02 and '05. So, I doubt that you are missing anything. I run a VPC on both bikes, the all bore 107 with the reduced lever kit and the 95" without. I dropped the 95" once and broke most of the clutch lever off; not enough room for two fingers and I was 200 miles from destination. If I had not had the VPC, I would have had to channle McGiver for a "field expedient" repair.:s

You will like the VPC.

I think the clutch issue is resolved. I really wanted to go with the AIM VP setup, but after a conversation with the guy who did the dyno tune for me, I installed a clutch pack from a Suzuki Hyabusa. If that doesn't do the trick, I will order the VP clutch. I cannot detect any slippage riding it, but we won't know for sure until it goes back on the dyno.

I think the clutch issue is resolved. I really wanted to go with the AIM VP setup, but after a conversation with the guy who did the dyno tune for me, I installed a clutch pack from a Suzuki Hyabusa. If that doesn't do the trick, I will order the VP clutch. I cannot detect any slippage riding it, but we won't know for sure until it goes back on the dyno.

Interesting. I had no idea a Hyabusa clutch pack would retro-fit to a Harley. IIRC, yours is an '07 model? Do you have part numbers? Let us know how it works out.

Interesting. I had no idea a Hyabusa clutch pack would retro-fit to a Harley. IIRC, yours is an '07 model? Do you have part numbers? Let us know how it works out.

It is not a direct fit. Takes a bit of machining, but not much. About .080" of material has to come off the i.d. of each plate, but still makes it pretty cost effective. So far it seems good. Clutch feel is good and I cannot detect any slippage. Hope to get it back on the dyno in a week or so and find out for sure. I do not have any part numbers. I will see if I can come up with them. Your memory is correct, it is an '07 FLHTCU.

Back