free website stats program andrews 26 cam in 95 build | Page 9 | Harley Davidson Forums

andrews 26 cam in 95 build

Oh I plan on that . I'm just in the prosses of getting all my parts together and figuring out a budget or a relative budget on this build
WAP.gif

Talk to your head man about trimming the valve guides a bit for better flow:s If he is good a flow bench will bear this out

Sounds good Jack . I'm going to have to start writeing all this down . I have taken some notes because going back to find the info I'm learning is getting tedious remebering were to look
WAP.gif

I will send them to bean at big boys along with my pistons , jugs and intake manifold. Was that $450 a head for serdi and minor porting with comp releases ?

There are other porters (see links below) as Bodeen suggested; all offer variations on a theme similar to what BigBoyz offers in their "street" port. I don't think you can go wrong with either of these shops but it would be worth your time to talk to all of them, listen the their pitch and, if you get a warm and fuzzy with one more so than the others, roll with it. This is a busy time of the year for these guys so it may be hard getting them on the phone but remember that getting them on the phone and to return calls is important. Maybe one is closer than the others which will reduce shipping cost; down time is another factor to consider. Talk to them about working with you on an exchange basis to minimize down time.

Cost is going to vary from one to another but you are looking at a minimum of $600 for cylinder boring/piston fitment and head porting.

Note that BigBoyz does not replace valve guides unless they are worn and retains the OEM valve springs. The porting price includes a performance valve job. BigBoyz used to install larger intake valves at the customer's request; don't know what he charged or if he still offers that service.

Kirby at VTwin performance offers a similar "street" port package and Scott at Hillside offers their Stage I package which is similar. Not sure what Don Dorfman at HD Street Performance offers similar packages at very competitive pricing. Some do include new valve guides and larger intake valve in their packages so you have to take notes and compare cost and scope of services to get the most for your money. It will take some time on the phone but will be worth it.
http://www.bigboyzheadporting.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Cylinder Head Porting - Services - VEE-TWIN Performance Center

Cylinder Heads Hillside Cycle

Twin Cam Head Porting Packages at HD Street Performance Head Porting and engine packages for Harley Davidson motorcycles

Any of these guys can probably machine the piston dome as well (if you are still planning that) but you will need to tell him what your CR target is; should they suggest something different, listen.

One more thought; don't get hung up on flow chart data. A set of heads does not act the same on a flow bench as it does on an operating motor. A flow bench has a set pressure at which airflow is measured. An operating engine develops vast and very rapid changes in pressure depending on where the piston is in the cylinder. From the time the piston hits BDC until the time the intake valve closes, the only force keeping that cylinder filling, is inertia. A slow moving large port moving the same cfm of air, as a fast moving small port, will have less inertia and consequently less cylinder fill and power. Thus, fast moving air in a small port may actually fool an operating engine by giving it more air than a slower moving large port that actually flows more volume on a flow bench.

There are other porters (see links below) as Bodeen suggested; all offer variations on a theme similar to what BigBoyz offers in their "street" port. I don't think you can go wrong with either of these shops but it would be worth your time to talk to all of them, listen the their pitch and, if you get a warm and fuzzy with one more so than the others, roll with it. This is a busy time of the year for these guys so it may be hard getting them on the phone but remember that getting them on the phone and to return calls is important. Maybe one is closer than the others which will reduce shipping cost; down time is another factor to consider. Talk to them about working with you on an exchange basis to minimize down time.

Cost is going to vary from one to another but you are looking at a minimum of $600 for cylinder boring/piston fitment and head porting.

Note that BigBoyz does not replace valve guides unless they are worn and retains the OEM valve springs. The porting price includes a performance valve job. BigBoyz used to install larger intake valves at the customer's request; don't know what he charged or if he still offers that service.

Kirby at VTwin performance offers a similar "street" port package and Scott at Hillside offers their Stage I package which is similar. Not sure what Don Dorfman at HD Street Performance offers similar packages at very competitive pricing. Some do include new valve guides and larger intake valve in their packages so you have to take notes and compare cost and scope of services to get the most for your money. It will take some time on the phone but will be worth it.
http://www.bigboyzheadporting.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Cylinder Head Porting - Services - VEE-TWIN Performance Center

Cylinder Heads Hillside Cycle

Twin Cam Head Porting Packages at HD Street Performance Head Porting and engine packages for Harley Davidson motorcycles

Any of these guys can probably machine the piston dome as well (if you are still planning that) but you will need to tell him what your CR target is; should they suggest something different, listen.

One more thought; don't get hung up on flow chart data. A set of heads does not act the same on a flow bench as it does on an operating motor. A flow bench has a set pressure at which airflow is measured. An operating engine develops vast and very rapid changes in pressure depending on where the piston is in the cylinder. From the time the piston hits BDC until the time the intake valve closes, the only force keeping that cylinder filling, is inertia. A slow moving large port moving the same cfm of air, as a fast moving small port, will have less inertia and consequently less cylinder fill and power. Thus, fast moving air in a small port may actually fool an operating engine by giving it more air than a slower moving large port that actually flows more volume on a flow bench.
Ill talk to Bigboys I think they are not to far over the boarder to Canada . You have recommend them a few times .
Would that be $600 total or per jug ?
Ill get hold of all of them like you said
F.k.
WAP.gif

Ill talk to Bigboys I think they are not to far over the boarder to Canada. You have recommend them a few times. Would that be $600 total or per jug? Ill get hold of all of them like you said. F.k.

Cost above is the least you will spend for the total job; both cylinders and heads. I just listed the others because they all offer a similar package but with a twist; just need to find the best value. However, if Bean is close enough across the border for you to visit, that also has a value. Bean can also do the tuning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not shure if I can make it over the boarder. I need to get my passport. Not shure then either. My past as a kid might haunt me lol. . I saw the quote but the way it was worded I wasn't shure if the price you gave me was per jug and head or both to gether
WAP.gif

Yes I'm still going to shave the pistons
WAP.gif

Oh I know when you get into new fasteners ,gaskets and bearings. It does boost the caust . I'm going to go with the power vision . Looks like a real good set up . The closest dyno for it is in Portpery about 11/2 hours away .
I'm about 100 miles north of Toronto
WAP.gif

Can't forget the cams as well
WAP.gif

WAP.gif

Just reread you last poast . It is for both cylinders and heads .
Kool
WAP.gif

Good read now to just apply it . Ill check out the other articles and see were it leads me
Thanks Jack
WAP.gif

Hey Dolt . I was wondering if the 06 heads could utilize the extra lift from the tw 57 cams . I'm looking at a multi grind , comp releases , and maby a street port if I need it .
I figure .560 lift is not that agressive . No rocker box mods or mods to the valve guide ?
I figure ill try to get what I can out of it , but if the heads choke and can't handle the extra lift then not much point in putting them in .
WAP.gif

Hey Dolt . I was wondering if the 06 heads could utilize the extra lift from the tw 57 cams . I'm looking at a multi grind , comp releases , and maby a street port if I need it . I figure .560 lift is not that agressive . No rocker box mods or mods to the valve guide ? I figure ill try to get what I can out of it , but if the heads choke and can't handle the extra lift then not much point in putting them in .

Yes, the '06 heads can handle the .560" lift; no problem. However, the '06 head flow flattens out about .500" lift, so if you want to take full advantage of the .560" llft, you need to have the heads ported. If budget won't allow porting, stick with the 37 cams. No rocker box mods will be required.

I was toying with the idea of using the andrews tw 54 cams . They say they are for higher compression , with about the same character as the 37/57 .
Using my 9 cc dome pistons and a .040 head gasket
Static comp : 10.2:1
Corected comp 9.29:1
Ccc :187.4 @1000
This would meen not having to shave the pistons .
They say the power range is the same as the 37s , start pulling at 2200-5600
F.k.
P.s. What are peoples thoughts
WAP.gif

Back