free website stats program andrews 26 cam in 95 build | Harley Davidson Forums

andrews 26 cam in 95 build

Fisherking

I was looking at putting andrews 26tw cams in my 95 build . I have cp 10.25 forged pistons . How will this cam work for this set up .
Thanks fk
WAP.gif

I have cp 95, 10.25-1 pistons and thinking of putting andrews 26 tw cams in .
What do yeall think .
Thanks f.k.
WAP.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wasn't shure with the higher compression pistons. Pluse I'm using the stock heads.

Carillo/CP makes three 10.25 pistons for a 3.875" bore and each has a different dome volume; 9.0cc, 9.4cc and 9.7cc. You need to know the PN of the pistons so you will know what dome volume to use in calculating CCP and corrected CR. Do you know your head gasket thickness?

In any event, the 26 cams intake closes at 35*ATDC and will set CCP up near 200psi and corrected CR near 9.6; a recipe for detonation and difficult to tune. You will need a cam with an intake close of 40*-42* ATDC.

Running stock heads, you are also limited to cams with lift that does not exceed .510"; that is all the stock springs will allow.

If you can find a set, the Andrews TW44 cams would be perfect for any of the dome volumes listed above. If the dome volume is 9.0, the TW37 cam would work. You really need to know the piston dome volume but, as I mentioned, the Andrews 26 won't work at any dome volume. The S&S 510 is also another cam that would work at the 9.0 dome volume but starts to push CCP and corrected CR to the high side for a street build at the higher dome volumes.:s

I suggest that you check compression and see what your current CCP is for a baseline before selecting a cam set.:s

Actualy I think the boar or piston size is 3.885 and the dome is 9 with a .30 head gasket this just gives shy of 10.25:1
WAP.gif

They are the cp m5063
WAP.gif

Looked it up static compresion is 10.49:1 and comp compresion is 9.83:1 207 at sea level .
Is tjis to much I want it to pull in the lower and midrange. I know I will alwas use at least 92 octane and I can get 94 here as well
WAP.gif

I put in for .035 gasket and lowerd the comp to 10.22:1 and actual at 9.42:1 with the andrews 26 . Ill aways have to use high test but I figured on that
WAP.gif

I put in for .035 gasket and lowerd the comp to 10.22:1 and actual at 9.42:1 with the andrews 26 . Ill aways have to use high test but I figured on that.

Well, you know what you need to know to do the math. 185-190psi and 9.3 corrected CR is a reasonable target for a "street" build and compression releases would be advisable.

You can also increase head gasket thickness up to .040" without issues; setting squish is less an issue with a domed piston as compared to a flat top.

You haven't mentioned if the bike is carbureted or EFI? If carbed, I think 9.42 corrected will be a challenge to tune without a programmable ignition like the DTT unit. If EFI and a good system like the SERT, SEPST, TTS Mastertune or DJ Powervision, tuning will be much less an issue.

The 26 is a good little cam but don't expect much from it after 4500 rpms; it's a stump puller up to that point.

You could really help yourself by having one of Big Boyz "street" port jobs on those stock heads.:D

I got a deal on se 251 I think tjat might work better . Ill check the bog boys sight and poast
F.k.
WAP.gif

Looks like 10.49:1 and corected comp is 9.36 what do these cams pull like ?
WAP.gif

Ill have to put in difrent springs what other head work is involved in using stock heads with se251 cams, should I go roller rockers . ?
Thanks F.k.
WAP.gif

I'm looking for a cam for a build I'm doing . I'm using stock heads and springs .
I'm using cp 10.25:1 ,9cc pistons 3.885 diam
I'm looking for more bottom to middrange torc but might not be able to do to the highr compression . I was thinking an andrews tw37 cam but corect compresion is at 9.58 :1 with 0.040 head gaskets . Is there another cam that is close to this one but with maby giveup a bit of correct compresion .

Thanks F.k.
WAP.gif

Re: best cam

I merged theses threads together to try and keep this as concise as possible. Same subject, parts and no need to rehash it all over again.

Re: best cam

I'm looking for a cam for a build I'm doing . I'm using stock heads and springs . I'm using cp 10.25:1 ,9cc pistons 3.885 diam
I'm looking for more bottom to middrange torc but might not be able to do to the highr compression . I was thinking an andrews tw37 cam but corect compresion is at 9.58 :1 with 0.040 head gaskets . Is there another cam that is close to this one but with maby giveup a bit of correct compression.

You, my friend, have been all over the place and until you focus, you are beyond help.:panic Answer the following questions so we can get this thread back on track.

1. What cam's are you running now?
2. Is the bike carbed or fuel injected?
3. If carbed, do you have a programmable ignition?
4. If EFI, do you have a fuel management system and has the motor been tuned?
5. Are you having any issues with the current configuration, i.e., pinging, hard starting when hot, etc.?
6. Have you run a compression test to get a read on CCP?
7. Are you looking for a cam only change to achieve your goal or are you willing to spend some money on head work?
8. You can have the piston dome shaved down to reduce compression and open up the available cam choices; are you willing to spend the money to do that as well?

Answer the questions and, if you don't know current CCP, run a compression test and post the CCP; we can go from there and come up with some options for your consideration.:s

I agree with dolt, cams are going to be a give and take IMO there will be no complete cam for your riding needs. You will have to decide how much of a build will best suit you and your riding habits. Before you get confused might I suggest you stopping by your dealer and see if they have a Screaming Eagle bike you could ride to get a feel?

Back