free website stats program andrews 26 cam in 95 build | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

andrews 26 cam in 95 build

F.K. I think I muddied the waters with post #44.
Somehow my mind got off tangent thinking the two different cam lifts entered the equation for push rod length. THAT WAS WRONG...it is the base circles of the cam that matter. Dolt refered to this and somewhat subtly corrected this, he should've spanked me harder on this one.
Sorry for the confusion! :(
Np . I just realy apreciate the help both of you have given me . It has given me a greater understanding of cams and compression, and how it affects my build
WAP.gif

The best thing you can do is if you have an indy building your engine is ask to be present during the build. Asking questions is all good but living it and seeing it will give you a better understanding IMO

I agree I'm a visual learner anyway
Fk.
Ps all you guys have been great with great advice , and not making me feel dumb for some of the things iv asked .
This has been a real positive experience for me .
Fk
WAP.gif

Actuall, I think FK should pull out the service manual, roll up his sleeves and take this project on himself; plenty of help here on the forum. I have walked several first time DIYers through BB projects, cam installs, etc. via the internet several times. The last one I did was for one of FK's fellow countrymen and I bought all the HD parts from an online discount dealer and shipped the to the guy. There is a first time for everything and this might be the first time for FK to build the motor for his Harley; a great way to bond with the bike.:D

F.K. I think I muddied the waters with post #44.
Somehow my mind got off tangent thinking the two different cam lifts entered the equation for push rod length. THAT WAS WRONG...it is the base circles of the cam that matter. Dolt refered to this and somewhat subtly corrected this, he should've spanked me harder on this one. Sorry for the confusion!

You didn't need a public spanking; just needed time to think.:s

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I understand the oil pump alingment now with the taperd screws that is what was keeping me out of the cam case . That and I don't have the bearing tools and what not . Iv rebuilt a 350 small block that was pushing about 350 hp .
I do gunsmithing on the side as a few extra $$$ and a hobby
I want this as my reliable ride . My gf wants me to get another fb . Gota love her ...
This one will be an evo though and ill tear that one apart myself .
I think I could do it . But I hate it when I'm done and try to figure out were the extra washer should have gone lol
WAP.gif

I think I understand the oil pump alingment now with the taperd screws that is what was keeping me out of the cam case . That and I don't have the bearing tools and what not . Iv rebuilt a 350 small block that was pushing about 350 hp. I do gunsmithing on the side as a few extra $$$ and a hobby. I want this as my reliable ride . My gf wants me to get another fb. Gota love her ... This one will be an evo though and ill tear that one apart myself. I think I could do it. But I hate it when I'm done and try to figure out were the extra washer should have gone lol.

If the small block motor didn't blow up, make weird noises, smoke, use oil or catch on fire and you obviously can read; you have the skills. All you need is the service manual for your model year, basic hand tools, no fear and a bit of patience; we are here to bail you out if you get in a jam. You won't have any washers laying around if you are methodical in disassembly. A clean assembly is important; don't want any grit or grime in the top end when you put her together.

There are work arounds for the "special tools"; shade tree methods that I and others have used before we succumbed to "tinkeritus", a terrible affliction BTW, and bought some of those special tools. For instance, you don't need the tapered pins to align the oil pump; you just need start two of the oil pump fasteners at opposite corners and as you tighten them, slowly rotate the rear wheel with plugs out and the trans in 5th gear. Keep doing this until the two fasteners are finger tight and the pump is snug against the plate. The pump is probably aligned at this point but repeat that procedure with the other two fasteners. When all are snug and finger tight; torque to spec.

As for the inner cam bearings, in the lower 48 Autozone will "rent" out a blind hole puller; put down a deposit equal to the cost of the tool and get the deposit back when you return the tool in good condition. Maybe there is an auto parts store in your neck of the woods that offers a similar service? Anyway, make sure the correct size collet is in the kit and the inner cam bearings can be removed with this tool. You can install the new inner cam bearings using one of the take out cams as a "driver". Freeze the bearings overnight, liberally apply assembly lube to the bearing boss and the bearing cage and "tap" the bearings in until the seat in the boss. The bearings should be installed with numbers facing out; the cage is beveled on the backside to facilitate the install. The only "trick" is to be sure you have the bearing started straight in the bore from the jump.

You don't need the little rubber thingy that locks the cam sprockets; those nuts are only torqued to 25 and 35 ft/lb. You put the trans in gear, lock the rear brake and loosen the rear cam bolt first, then the pinion sprocket bolt; install the same way. You can also lock the primary with a piece of flat bar cut to size; my tool is made from an old lawn mower blade.

You will need a ring compressor; no work around for that one but they are cheap. You will need decent in/lb and ft/lb torque wrenches but they don't have to be top of the line. You don't "need" the CYCO tensioner install tool but that is one I would purchase; not that expensive and will save some time and maybe some skinned knuckles. You will need assembly lube but DO NOT apply to pistons, rings or cylinders; install those with a light coat of motor oil.

Don't let not having the "special" tools hold you back; save yourself some $$ and get her done.:D

U know what with the way u explained it I think I will do the wrenching my self . Good winter project between doing wood lol
WAP.gif

Picked up my jugs and heads today .
Looks like he gave me twobsets of 06 heads the set with the jugs have the beehive springs . The blond set has high rise springs . Spring inside a spring . I'm not shure but these heads have been worked on I figure . The heads with the jugs look like they have less km on them .
Would I just use hd rinkle paint , then sand the edgess to bring out the aluminum on the blond heads ?
Thanks F.k.
WAP.gif

You can use VHT paint and steel wool on the fins:s

Picked up my jugs and heads today .
Looks like he gave me twobsets of 06 heads the set with the jugs have the beehive springs . The blond set has high rise springs . Spring inside a spring . I'm not shure but these heads have been worked on I figure . The heads with the jugs look like they have less km on them .
Would I just use hd rinkle paint , then sand the edgess to bring out the aluminum on the blond heads ?
Thanks F.k.
WAP.gif

What are the casting numbers on the heads? The pre '05 heads all had straight wound springs; spring inside a spring. The straight wound springs do not necessarily mean that the heads have been "worked"; could just be an early set of heads and it would be a mistake to use them in lieu of the '06 heads which will accommodate higher lift and flow better.

You will need a set of '06 intake flanges to match up the '06 heads.

Jack has you covered on the paint.:s

Now the flanges are just the retainers that bolt over the intake manifold .
Yes the other blond heads I assumed were worked over because of the double spring thing . The 06 beehive springs hardly have any carbon inside the exhaust port and the seals on the valve stim looks brand new still orange and clean .
WAP.gif

Back