free website stats program andrews 26 cam in 95 build | Page 8 | Harley Davidson Forums

andrews 26 cam in 95 build

Yup, flange PN is 26993-06. What are the last two digits of the casting number on the heads; that will tell you what you need to know. Regardless of how good the '06 heads look, clean them up, remove all the carbon and change the guide seals. If you have the $$, have a SERDI (multi-angle) valve job done.

Yep that's what ill do . A SERDI & clean up and seals . He charges $150 a head but only $80 a bore
WAP.gif

The blond set of heads are -99 witch I figure meen 1999 heads , the ones that came with the jugs , .the rear is - 06, the front just has -0 then it runs out of room .I figure they are both 2006
WAP.gif

Jack thanks for the haeds up about the paint . Good to know
F.k.
WAP.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone used or checked out the "Night Ridder " dino chart for diffrent cams and bike work . They show compression ratios that are preaty high . Are these static compression ratios or corrected compression ratios ? Thanks F.k.
WAP.gif

Iv been looking at the woods tw-6 would this be the better cam for my set up then the andrews tw37?
What are pros and cons . I hear the woods has a more agressive cam angle more noise so I'm thinking harder on the valve train ?
WAP.gif

Has anyone used or checked out the "Night Ridder " dino chart for diffrent cams and bike work . They show compression ratios that are preaty high . Are these static compression ratios or corrected compression ratios ? Thanks F.k.
WAP.gif

Iv been looking at the woods tw-6 would this be the better cam for my set up then the andrews tw37?
What are pros and cons . I hear the woods has a more agressive cam angle more noise so I'm thinking harder on the valve train ?
WAP.gif

As you stated. The Woods will be noticeably nosier than the 37 will be. Done right they make good power.

I was talking to a guy at stecklers cycleworks and he says I need to port my 06 heads and get bigger exhaust valve because they are to restrictive and I will build heat and my engine will pin using either the andrews 37 cam or the woods -6 or -7 cams .
Could someone clarify . I'm not shure but I think he might be just looking for more work ???
WAP.gif

I was talking to a guy at stecklers cycleworks and he says I need to port my 06 heads and get bigger exhaust valve because they are to restrictive and I will build heat and my engine will pin using either the andrews 37 cam or the woods -6 or -7 cams . Could someone clarify . I'm not shure but I think he might be just looking for more work ???

You don't NEED to port the '06 heads. As I posted in one of my previous posts, I helped a friend build a 95" motor with TW37 cams and a set of '06 heads. He did not want to spend any money on porting but he did have the heads cleaned up, decked for 9.6 or 9.8 (can't remember for sure) static CR with a .030" head gasket, new guide seals and a SERDI multi-angle valve job. Motor made 102TQ/96HP; no porting.

Of course, if you want to spend the money for porting, the gains are there but remember that you are running bolt in cams; no hi-lift, long duration cams, so while there is a benefit; you don't neet a Stage IV or Pro Street porting; the cams and throttle body cannot take advantage of the higher flow; that kind of porting could actually hurt performance if velocity suffers from larger ports.

If you decide you want to port your heads, send them to Bean at BigBoyz or Kirby at VTwin Performance for their "street" porting. Cost will be about $450 or $500 with machine work for compression releases, measuring chambers, decking for compression, minor porting, new guide seals and valve job. The bigger exhaust valve won't hurt and is isn't necessary to hit the 100+TQ number. Having said that, not a bad idea for future should you decide to replace the 37 cams with a higher lift. I don't know anything about Steckler's, they might be great for all I know but I do know that Kirby or Bean will get the heads right if you decide to go that route.

I would avoid the Woods cams; the ramps are aggressive, noisy and hard on the valve train. JMHO but I don't think the extra couple of TQ/HP is worth the extra noise. The 37s will work just fine and will be quiet. If you want more cam, consider the Andrews 57. Exact same cam as the 37 but with more lift; the OEM springs in the '06 heads will handle the additional lift.

If you go with a higher lift cam, say .570 or up; you need to check the clearance in the cam chest between the cam lobes and the main bearing boss; you need at least .030" clearance there.

You don't NEED to port the '06 heads. As I posted in one of my previous posts, I helped a friend build a 95" motor with TW37 cams and a set of '06 heads. He did not want to spend any money on porting but he did have the heads cleaned up, decked for 9.6 or 9.8 (can't remember for sure) static CR with a .030" head gasket, new guide seals and a SERDI multi-angle valve job. Motor made 102TQ/96HP; no porting.

Of course, if you want to spend the money for porting, the gains are there but remember that you are running bolt in cams; no hi-lift, long duration cams, so while there is a benefit; you don't neet a Stage IV or Pro Street porting; the cams and throttle body cannot take advantage of the higher flow; that kind of porting could actually hurt performance if velocity suffers from larger ports.

If you decide you want to port your heads, send them to Bean at BigBoyz or Kirby at VTwin Performance for their "street" porting. Cost will be about $450 or $500 with machine work for compression releases, measuring chambers, decking for compression, minor porting, new guide seals and valve job. The bigger exhaust valve won't hurt and is isn't necessary to hit the 100+TQ number. Having said that, not a bad idea for future should you decide to replace the 37 cams with a higher lift. I don't know anything about Steckler's, they might be great for all I know but I do know that Kirby or Bean will get the heads right if you decide to go that route.

I would avoid the Woods cams; the ramps are aggressive, noisy and hard on the valve train. JMHO but I don't think the extra couple of TQ/HP is worth the extra noise. The 37s will work just fine and will be quiet. If you want more cam, consider the Andrews 57. Exact same cam as the 37 but with more lift; the OEM springs in the '06 heads will handle the additional lift.

If you go with a higher lift cam, say .570 or up; you need to check the clearance in the cam chest between the cam lobes and the main bearing boss; you need at least .030" clearance there.
WAP.gif

Thst is about What I was expecting . Thanks for reafirming what I was thinking . Ill stick to the andrews ...
F.k.
WAP.gif

I will send them to bean at big boys along with my pistons , jugs and intake manifold .
Was that $450 a head for serdi and minor porting with comp releases ?
WAP.gif

You really need to call some of the guy's previously listed as machinists and talk to them about your goals and what you are trying to achieve. That is the business they are in. They'll tell you exactly which direction to go and how much it will take to get there. They are all good folks and tremendously helpful.

You really need to call some of the guy's previously listed as machinists and talk to them about your goals and what you are trying to achieve. That is the business they are in. They'll tell you exactly which direction to go and how much it will take to get there. They are all good folks and tremendously helpful.

Oh I plan on that . I'm just in the prosses of getting all my parts together and figuring out a budget or a relative budget on this build
WAP.gif

Back