free website stats program 2009 Street Glide Improvements over 2008 | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

2009 Street Glide Improvements over 2008

At this point no one has full pipes out yet, only slip-ons as 2008 will fit the 2009s. [/I]

Is the sound/performance significantly different with the slip-ons in comparison to the full exhaust system?

I was told by my dealer that there are no slip ons availbe that would fit the '09 street glide.....

Mike

I was told by my dealer that there are no slip ons availbe that would fit the '09 street glide.....

Mike

Vance & Hines has 4 up currently that fit the bike. They just added two this week. I emailed them about 3 weeks ago and they said they were getting an 09 bike in late august. So I am assuming they got the bike and are now fitting slip-ons on the bike. I am waiting for Rineharts though plus I want to get a T-max and they don't have that for the 09 so I am waiting for next season. Oh well at least I can hear the radio in the meantime.

Vance & Hines about 2 weeks ago had the 2008 pipes listed as fitting the 2009. Apparently they were wrong because last week they removed all the 2009 listing of slip-ons and now just have 4 listed.

Last edited:
I think I am going to go with the Rineharts, I like the deeper tone, not the loudness on the highway of Vance & Hines.

I bought a 09 Ultra. Called Rinehart, they told me that they only have slip-ons as of now. But if I get them now, I would have to buy different mufflers later if I decided to go with there new pipes because the pipes are going to be larger when they come out with a full system. But I gots to do what a man gots to do. If ya know what I mean.

nt6977 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Last edited:
I bought a 09 Ultra. Called Rinehart, they told me that they only have slip-ons as of now. But if I get them now, I would have to buy different mufflers later if I decided to go with there new pipes because the pipes are going to be larger when they come out with a full system. But I gots to do what a man gots to do. If ya know what I mean.

nt6977 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Larger aren't necessarily a good thing in all cases. The flow slows down in a larger pipe and unless you have a big motor, It may take you in a direction that you don't want to go.

Ok I figured I'd post my last opinion on the street glide for those who have one and who are looking at them. I am at about 1,600 miles now about 600 of which has been 2 up riding. All in all, my opinion of the bike hasn't changed it is a great bike. At around 1,000 I switched over to AmsOil 20W-50 after running AmsOil the bike performed "better" much smoother sounding that is. Some updated negative opinions/observations are:

-While riding 2 up the temperature under my right leg is to a point, almost unbearable. It only does it while riding 2 up and I believe it is because the air flow is blocked by my leg as well as my girls. I don't believe it has anything to do with the extra 130lbs. It can be remediated by bending my leg out and allowing air to flow by the inside of my leg which I do about every 5 mins but it is still annoying! The temp yesterday was only 75ish and low humidity. I hope to upgrade to a T-Max w/ Autotune (once available) and Rinehart slip-ons which I believe will remediate the problem going forward. We'll see.

-At around 90-100mph when changing lanes I get a slight shimmy in the front tire/handle bars. I believe this is more from the excess drag from the Bat wing more so than the engineering of the bike but it tends to straighten out after a few seconds.

Other than that no significant complains/observations. Other than the seat that is... I just ordered a C&C seat so hopefully that will do the trick!

400 miles and here are my thoughts.

The bad: The stock seat sucks out loud not just for a passenger but for the operator as well! Its like sitting on a board after just 10 minutes or so.

I ordered a Mustang solo/pillion combination yesterday as I didnt want to wait till the end of the year till they make the one piece. The rep I spoke to said the solo/pillion will work on the 09 because they are seperate and dont interfear with the frame changes made on the 09's. He also said the solo is way more comfortable anyway.....something I strongly desire.

Also (possibly bad) but not that big of a deal, My wife has commented that this bike is a lot hotter on her right keg than the ole Deuce. I notice more heat too, even with the improved exhaust routing, but then I am used to riding a softail wich I am assuming is cooler because of the narrow frame allowing the heat to slip away much easier.

The heat issue is something I think might be alieveated with a true duel system. Speaking of which, the exhaust note on the stock pipes is not really bad for stock. I kind of like it for now. It is kind of deeper than what I remember stock baggers from the past sounding like and at any speed you can still hear them and they still say "Harley" but they dont interfear with the radio or the overall riding experience. When the time comes, I will probably go with "Rush" slipons. A friend just put a set on his 09 nitetrain and they sound awesome.

So, other than than those two things, I absolutly LOVE the bike. Being on a Deuce for the last 6 years, I am so impressed with the handling characteristice of this machine. It feels more like a sport bike than a bagger on the twisties....honestly! Passing a semi at highway speed is nothing too!

I no longer feel like I'm being sucked into the truck as I pass like I did on the softail.
This bike loves to run 70 mph and only tachs about 2500 rpm doing so.

The radio is awesome and as those of you who ride with one already know, adds a whole new dimension to the overall riding experience.

Now I never thought I would ever own anything but a black bike, but when I saw this thing in the sun I changed my mind immedieately!
The metallic in the paint on this thing really pops in the sun and everybody (except the wife who loves black) loves the color.

Well, thats it for now. Like someone has said.....Dont ride one unless your prepared to buy one! Its that good!

Mark in Pa......

I just got my 9" light gray "Fastair" windshield (as seen in the originator of this thread's pictures). It was at my door in 3 business days, fit like a glove, had excellent installation instructions and is the perfect height as I am 5'8". No more wind turbulence flopping my helmet around. I highly recommend this product! At just $30.00 + $10.00 shipping, you simply can’t beat it.

Of course I only plan to use this during the spring and fall. Summer months I’ll be welcoming the extra turbulence!

Still waiting on my "Freedom wings" and Mustang seats. Hopefully this 5th post will then allow me to put up some pics. Love this bike!

Mark in Pa

Well, let’s see....I think I referred to some pics that are on another board. Sorry about that. I'll get some pics up here when I get all the add on's, added on!
M

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got my 9" light gray "Fastair" windshield (as seen in the originator of this thread's pictures). It was at my door in 3 business days, fit like a glove, had excellent installation instructions and is the perfect height as I am 5'8". No more wind turbulence flopping my helmet around. I highly recommend this product! At just $30.00 + $10.00 shipping, you simply can’t beat it.

Of course I only plan to use this during the spring and fall. Summer months I’ll be welcoming the extra turbulence!

Still waiting on my "Freedom wings" and Mustang seats. Hopefully this 5th post will then allow me to put up some pics. Love this bike!

Mark in Pa

Well, let’s see....I think I referred to some pics that are on another board. Sorry about that. I'll get some pics up here when I get all the add on's, added on!
M

If I were going to buy a bike today... it would be the new 2009 Street Guide in Sunglow Red. BEAUTIFUL BIKE. I have only had mine two years and will keep it for a while longer... Since I will probably will only get one more bike before my age catches up to me!!:small3d004:

Back