free website stats program What was your first bike? | Page 9 | Harley Davidson Forums

What was your first bike?

First bike was a Suzuki 425 I traded a friend my '65 Dodge beater for. That bike seemed top heavy but was a ball to learn on. Got my licence on it and 3 months later traded it in on a new '83 Honda V45 Magna.

Kawasaki 500 2 stroke 3 cylinder. I had a hard time keeping the front wheel on the ground and sure collected a lot of speeding tickets. That was 35 years ago. I much prefer a slower pace with my Road King Classic now!

In 1999 I bought a new Suzuki Intruder VL1500 LC. I just traded it last week on a slightly used 09 Electra Glide Classic. One of the better moves I've ever made! :s

I agree, if you go for anything under 500 cc he will be tired of it real soon. That would be enough power to get out of a situation but not enough to be too stupid. There are plenty of bikes in that range Think about how big the kid is as well, not just the size of the motor.
At 16 Suzuki GT 380, 2 stroke was my first. It always sounded like it was going to explode. It was a good size and weight and had a little kick for excitement. Moved on in 1980 to a 1973 Kaw 900 z1. Still own the z1 with 11k miles. What a screamer in it's day. Just bought an awesome '09 Road King and love it. Suits my current riding style. Need to get the Kaw out of the garage to keep the Mrs. happy. Feels like I'm preparing for a divorce getting rid of the Kaw. Just can't find someone that loves it as much $ as I do.

The first street bike I rode and got my license with was a CB-350/4. It didn't have much power but it had a nice sound. This was back in 1973.

Later on I had a "76 KZ-400 and then a "77 KZ-650C. I kept the KZ-650C until fall of "88 then I got my first hog! That was an "82 FXRS 5 speed shovel followed by an "80 FXWG.

My first EVO was an "86 FXWG and the next and last one so far is an "86 FXSTC.

My 1st bike was when I was 12 (56 now)... Dad bought me an M-50 Harley, (Great Choice) A little Itallian Looking bike: 50cc 3speed on the handle bars..'65. 1969 I got a Harley"Rapido" another 2-stoke Trail bike. Then in 1972 I bought a Harley 350 Sprint, kept it for 6-months (It was a Dog). Also in 1972 after the Sprint I bought a Honda 500 4-cylinder, Great bike (But it wasn't a Harley) Kept that bike "Courted" my wife to be. She Loved riding w/me... Got married, Hung onto the Honda until our 1st child was born... Sold the Honda... 28years later wife said "Maybe we should get another Bike" When I picked myself up off the floor I started looking... Bought a '07 Sporty 883 great bike but a little small for 2-up. Earlier this year we bought the '09 Heritage & have Loved every minute. I'm glad to be back in the saddle again (I think there's a song about that) This was a little long, sorry but I got carried away...

Harry B

Back