free website stats program What do you think about the new 103 motor? | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

What do you think about the new 103 motor?

I picked up a 2011 Road King Classic in May. I have about 2500 miles on it. Have some miles with the wife as co-pilot.

When I picked up the bike they had the rear shocks set at the max psi and the tires were set to factory spec.

I lowered the shocks to about 10psi. At first that was nice. As I have put a few more miles on them they needed more air. As my wife rode more with me I added a little more. Together we are at about 30psi and the ride is good. I do not know what more miles will bring. However, I can see that the shocks are settleing in as we are.

Oh, I also took about 2psi out of the rear tire. It is running at 38 instead of the factory 40. That helped, too.

Give them some time. Play with the psi as the bike settles in.

Oh, and follow up.... Since my comments really did not address the topic if this forum.

I love my 103. The other day my wife and I were riding up a grade. The speed limit there is 55. I left it in 6th and turned on the cruise control just to see what the bike would do. Of course, it all depends on the grade. Nevertheless, from past experience in other vehicles, I would expect to have to down shift to at least 5th. But nope, crawled right up the hill. And, at one point I wanted to go around a car in my lane, so I just rolled the throttle and the bike gained speed.

My son has an 11 Ultra something with the shark nose fairing with the 103. He has 3500 trouble free miles, loves the machine. He has more power AND gets better gas mileage than I get on my 08 Road King 96. (Both stock) More power, better economy, how can you go wrong?

Today I spent some time on my new 2012 FLHX Street Glide with the 103 Motor! Its quieter that my previous 96 as it does not sound like a sewing machine! Gobs of more useful torque to! I love it!

Been looking really hard at the new Ultra Classic Limited. Merlo and Sun Glo red of course.

Was wondering if the 103 motor will soon become the next standard motor and when? One of the features that really stands out for me on the Limited is the chrome and black aluminum spoked wheels (like on the 09).

The Limited comes with all the goodies, ABS, security, oil cooler, etc.

I heard the 110 motor is having some problems.

Any comments?
I have a 2011 Road Glide Ultra with the stock 103 motor. I am having problems with the heat management, aka parade mode, shutting down the rear cylinder while riding. It is a great loss of power. Is anyone else having this problem. I was first told by the dealer that this problem is impossible. But then, after the dealer checked it out, that's what is happening. Please, anyone having this problem, please let me know. Thanks Ken

I read through all the pages and still haven't run across any big problems with the 103 does this mean that its a pretty good engine? I mean evidently the 96 seemed to have a problem with the run out on the cam or the crank which one i don't recall!

To put it simply...The 103 pulls like a John Deere Tractor! Seat of the pants feel is MUCH more low end torque.

I'll say this again.

The 103 is the SAME bore as an earlier (pre 07) 95" over bore of a 88 cu in motor.:s

The big difference is the old 88" TC motor has a different crank (pressed together) and a Longer Rod from a 4" stroke to a 4.375 stroke that makes it a 96" motor... SO the 96" and the 103" are JUST STROKER Motors of the 88" and the 95" older TC motors...

Like it or Not, this is what it is.

My 96" bike has the same cylinders in size (exactly the same) as the older TC 88" motor.

Boring out a 96" bike to 103" ,,, the same Cylinder size can be swapped out with an 88" out to 95" motor...

Just a Modified piston (wrist pin hole is moved up on the old stock TC piston) to fit the New longer stroked motors by .375/3/8 stroke. With the piston skirts fitted as well to Miss the crank.

From 4" to 4.375" is what makes the Cu. In. difference here.

Old TC motor of 88" and 95" using the 4" stroke
Newer TC motor of 96" and 103" using the 4.375" stroke.

IMO, the HD company did a CHEAP job using this method to increase the CU.Inches of the new TC. then added power and using a WEAK crank to Boot.

The crank is Just aligned in a Jig and Pressed together.

The good timken case bearing that used to hold the crank from side thrust movement is no longer used either. That had been changed Long ago ? 03 model year?...

The cranks are easily Fixed and "Over Killed". Aligned, Pined and Welded.

A company like Darkhorse and others have been doing a Big Business in Modifying a crank that WILL and DOES hold up in the BEEFED up motors, MAINLY when going to a Larger Power House than just the 96 or 103.

Hope this helps you to understand the what and how it is done on todays NEW Hot Rod Motors from HD...:bigsmiley23:

signed....BUBBIE

Back