free website stats program What do you think about the new 103 motor? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

What do you think about the new 103 motor?

Been looking really hard at the new Ultra Classic Limited. Merlo and Sun Glo red of course.

Was wondering if the 103 motor will soon become the next standard motor and when?

Great post hdvandodge.

Not very likely.HD has seen the wrighting on the wall.The VRod wasnt just the moco's experiment to see if the buying public would bite.With EPA requirements getting tighter they've already introduced the cat in the head pipe.

With the current air cooled motor lineup already running dangerously lean we have all adapted to better airflow "louder pipes" the comunities have had enough of the loud pipes and stock mufflers seem to be on the horizon.

That takes away what little tuneing ability we had to combat the lean condition.More heat by going with bigger displacement from this point makes no sense.

I realy think liquid cooled is in the near future across the board.Not saying I like the idea but its better than electric,and maybe the moco can build a bagger that can beat out a Jap bagger for tourer of the year.

I believe you have got a pretty good idea of where things are likely to go. Good bye 45 degree and hello 60 degree. Kiss those potatoes good bye.

That Sunglow is a really sharp color. I really would love to have a set of those new chromed mag wheels on my FLHTP. But you know they have to cost a small fortune.
They probably are worth more than my bike. It's hard to see much of the rear wheel, so maybe just one in the front would do.

We bought 103 engines with out police bikes. At first there was a hesitation and we keep dropping the bikes in a curve. This was caused by the throttle by wire, which our local HD dealer had a little nonHD fix. Also the rear cynlder drop is causes a small hesitation. Power is great and has plenty of getup and go.

I bought the Limited and have no isues with it. I am still trying to find the sweet spot for the air shocks but that is minor.

I purchased a Limited Black / Black Ice this past September. Big improvements from the 2008 Ultra to 2010. With that said, the rear suspension (EDIT) I used to use 14 psi on the Road King, 20psi on my 08 Ultra, the new factory spec for a person my size recommended 50psi. I could not find a happy air pressure setting…either I was rattling my teeth out riding 1 up or bottoming out the shocks riding 2 up. So the stock shocks were quickly replaced by a set of Progressives 13 ½ “coil over shocks. 95 percent of the harshness cured. I am extremely disappointed that I needed to fork out big bucks to swap out suspension that should have been designed perfect from the factory. Ya, ya tell me about your hardtail…but the fact is this bike is designed for Touring and an Ultra is top of the line and is going to be packed to the gills for long distance runs.

Guys, I'm also experiencing the dreaded rear suspension woes on my 2009 FLHT. I share your dissapointment about having to fork out money on new aftermarket shocks but there is no option because as a tourer they are painful over rough road and a dismal dissapointment. Corners well but rides (EDIT)I cannot get a happy medium with the air.

Glider, there seems to be a few of us having problems with the rear suspension on the new 09-10 frames. (seems to be only the rear for me) I don't know haw to start a survey but it might be a good subject to check for customer satisfaction. a) are we satisfied with the ride of the rear suspension (not the handling - just the ride) and b) have we replaced the factory shocks and with what sort?

What do you think?

Neil

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a 2009 road king police with the 103. I like it but--my 2001 king will out run it at top end with good mods. I will up date the 103 this winter to better the 2001. se air, exhaust and tuner. they till me the police has a 255 cam? we'll see.

I bought a 2010 Ultra Limited last August. I traded an '07 Ultra for it. The 6 gallon tank and ABS were the big draws for me. The 103 and the new frame made it that much better. I can be ilding along at 45 MPH in 6th gear and the engine will pull smoothly without downshifting when the speed limit increases. My '07 would not do that. I have the rear shocks set at 50 PSI and find that to be a comfortable setting for me, whether riding solo or two-up. The difference in handling between the two bikes is just incredible. This is my third Electra Glide, having started with an '02 Electra Glide Classic. Until riding the Limited I had no idea how "sloppy" the older bikes were. I never had a complaint about them, but I would hate to get on one after spending the last four months riding the Limited.

A local dealer has a new black & red limited for $2k off MSRP. If it was the sun glo red and merlot I would've bought it on the spot. This bike looks like a pretty good deal. I hope HD comes to their senses and keeps that color combo so I can pay off my RK and buy a limited.
Go Vikings!
WAP.gif

I Bought a Black Ice/White Ice Lilited at laconia a few weeks back. I love the bike. so much more than my 01 FLHTCUI with hi flow, s/e pipes and power comander. I had the heated grips... basically the same bike. I put 90k on her and never had so much as the jugs apart.

anyway, here my current issue...
went in for my 1k service yesterday. My rear jug is making a sound much like George jetsobs car at idle. I had all the mechanics from my dealer around it with stethescopes, flashlights etc. They have no Idea. The think it may have something to do with the thermal shutdown of the rear jug. Any Ideas?:small3d012:

I am very impressed with the new 103" motor. I did a lot of reading before I got the bike and had all the work done by the dealer before pickup so as to not affect my warranty. I had the 255 cams, SE compensator, PC V and 2 into 1 Pro Pipe put on it. It will run circles around my wife's 07 CVO with the 110 and my son's 09 Fatboy with a stage 1 on it. I have about 3500 miles on it and am very pleased with it. Good pickup and excellent torque pretty much throughout the rev range.

I Bought a Black Ice/White Ice Lilited at laconia a few weeks back. I love the bike. so much more than my 01 FLHTCUI with hi flow, s/e pipes and power comander. I had the heated grips... basically the same bike. I put 90k on her and never had so much as the jugs apart.

anyway, here my current issue...
went in for my 1k service yesterday. My rear jug is making a sound much like George jetsobs car at idle. I had all the mechanics from my dealer around it with stethescopes, flashlights etc. They have no Idea. The think it may have something to do with the thermal shutdown of the rear jug. Any Ideas?:small3d012:

Twist the throttle Away and hold it Until it shuts off the parade feature(over-heat).. IF It shuts off the function AND If the noise is still there it is Not the parade function..

signed....BUBBIE

Back