free website stats program What do you think about the new 103 motor? | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

What do you think about the new 103 motor?

Heard a salesman say the other day that the 103 is what they used to call the screamin eagle option, same motor, just identified as the 103 now. ????

I'll say this again.

The 103 is the SAME bore as an earlier (pre 07) 95" over bore of a 88 cu in motor.:s

The big difference is the old 88" TC motor has a different crank (pressed together) and a Longer Rod from a 4" stroke to a 4.375 stroke that makes it a 96" motor... SO the 96" and the 103" are JUST STROKER Motors of the 88" and the 95" older TC motors...

Like it or Not, this is what it is.

My 96" bike has the same cylinders in size (exactly the same) as the older TC 88" motor.

Boring out a 96" bike to 103" ,,, the same Cylinder size can be swapped out with an 88" out to 95" motor...

Just a Modified piston (wrist pin hole is moved up on the old stock TC piston) to fit the New longer stroked motors by .375/3/8 stroke. With the piston skirts fitted as well to Miss the crank.

From 4" to 4.375" is what makes the Cu. In. difference here.

Old TC motor of 88" and 95" using the 4" stroke
Newer TC motor of 96" and 103" using the 4.375" stroke.

IMO, the HD company did a CHEAP job using this method to increase the CU.Inches of the new TC. then added power and using a WEAK crank to Boot.

The crank is Just aligned in a Jig and Pressed together.

The good timken case bearing that used to hold the crank from side thrust movement is no longer used either. That had been changed Long ago ? 03 model year?...

The cranks are easily Fixed and "Over Killed". Aligned, Pined and Welded.

A company like Darkhorse and others have been doing a Big Business in Modifying a crank that WILL and DOES hold up in the BEEFED up motors, MAINLY when going to a Larger Power House than just the 96 or 103.

Hope this helps you to understand the what and how it is done on todays NEW Hot Rod Motors from HD...:bigsmiley23:

signed....BUBBIE
Thanks for this. If I remember correctly Strokers were for drag racing, burn out engines. So they might have serious dependability issues.

I've got the 103 in my 2010 UL & have 27k on her. So far so good! I've added the PC, SE air cleaner, & Vance & Hines true 2-1 exhaust. I have had a couple bolts come loose from assumed vibration, but a quick torque on my regular checks keeps that issue at bay. I have had a bit of popping when shifting from 1st to 3rd gears, and have been working with the dealership in tuning it (adding fuel in the rpm range). I too find the need for slight air adjustments in the rear shocks when riding 2 up, but that's easy. So far it's been reliable & strong. Noticeable difference from my 96 in my 08 Street Glide.

I have the V&H pipes installed recently as well and have some popping too I need to take it back and get it adjusted when I get back in town as well evidently this is a common problem from what I have been reading that's takes some sorting out

EPA Dictates to HD about their AFR air fuel ratio... I don't...:D

HD has to Jump thru EPA Hoops here to be Lawful of THEIR (epa) rules.

Adding a less restrictive exhaust and better air-breather onto the bike, Changes things that the HD brain can not over-come and Is NOT allowed to over come.:(

Hence a fueler of some sort is needed.. (TFI,Gen3,Gen4 from Dobecks and a HDT discount on these products) Many others and Price ranges are available.

The Heat problem is Factory Too Lean on fuel, Bigger cu inches, a Stroker motor, and mostly a Cat. converter on the 2010's and up...

Heat is easy to over-come with proper parts added OR Removed and all adjusted properly.
My choices were naturally on a fueler, the TFI then Gen3 Now beta on a Gen4.

I added a Jagg 6 row side mounted on the down-frame (09 King). It is a thermo controlled cooler, thermo unit is in the device that fits before the oil filter.... Works great. That cooler on my bike, solved Many of My Heat Problems here in HOT az. (no cats on the 09):D

signed....BUBBIE

Back