free website stats program What do you think about the new 103 motor? | Harley Davidson Forums

What do you think about the new 103 motor?

larryjmiller

Been looking really hard at the new Ultra Classic Limited. Merlo and Sun Glo red of course.

Was wondering if the 103 motor will soon become the next standard motor and when? One of the features that really stands out for me on the Limited is the chrome and black aluminum spoked wheels (like on the 09).

The Limited comes with all the goodies, ABS, security, oil cooler, etc.

I heard the 110 motor is having some problems.

Any comments?

I am really pleased with my 103. The engine is really torquey, good power down low through the rpm range that really matters for touring. Mine was put on the dyno after doing exaust,pcv and a/c and it returned 75hp and 92tq. So if your thinking its going to be a dragracer than you will dissapointed. Riding it is a total pleasure, the engine works effortlessly at moving the bike loaded down with gear and 2-up. As for the future, i would not be surprised at all if this engine is the base engine before long. Why not everybody knows the 103 is a very solid engine. As for the 110, i think they have most of the bugs out of it. Problem with it is the $10k price of admission on that one!

I got the red/black, and as for price i paid msrp plus freight and taxes and tags. No set-up, as i have bought 3 bikes off these guys in the last 13 yrs and i did expect a little break. I also got 15% off all accessorys and clothing for a year. I bought my bike in oct. and back then these things were just about impossible to find. I checked several dealers and all of them were saying msrp was the deal, im sure they have probably cooled down a little now.

I rode a 2010 blue/black with the 103. Granted, I didn't ride it more than a few miles so my opinion may not be well educated.

If you have an older HD wanting to trade up or are looking at moving into a new one, its something to look at. But if you currently have a 96ci, I wouldn't trade up for the 103 just to have the 103.

I didn't see enough of an increase in power/performance to get the 103 specifically for that reason.

But everyone has their own view on it. Not saying mine is right. Just mine. :s

I am sure the 103 is ok, but the 103 in the limited is not the same as the SE 103 upgrade for the 96 . The upgrade includes the 255 cam and high flow air filter, and has more HP and torque.

I bought a new '09 Ultra and had the dealer install the 103 before I ever rode the bike.....I wish I'd rode the stock 96er before spending the $$ but it was real cold out. Anyhow, I like my 103 and, for 90% of the folks that ride it'd be plenty of power to ride 2 up fully loaded. Bike pulls hard down low but the 255's don't carry through the higher RPM's the way I like. I put 15K+ miles on my bike this year and did not have 1 single problem with the motor. Good motor. IMO, a good upgrade from the 96 for the $ if you complete the stage 1 and let it breathe a little.

I purchased a Limited Black / Black Ice this past September. I have about 4200 on the OD before winter set in here in Detroit. This is my 3rd new bagger in the past 8 years. I’m impressed with the handling. I always thought my 03 Road King was King of the road….but I have to say the new frame, bigger wheels/tires the 2010 Limited really cuts up the road. I found myself compensating from leaning the bike to much going into turns. Big improvements from the 2008 Ultra to 2010. With that said, the rear suspension (EDIT) I used to use 14 psi on the Road King, 20psi on my 08 Ultra, the new factory spec for a person my size recommended 50psi. I could not find a happy air pressure setting…either I was rattling my teeth out riding 1 up or bottoming out the shocks riding 2 up. So the stock shocks were quickly replaced by a set of Progressives 13 ½ “coil over shocks. 95 percent of the harshness cured. I am extremely disappointed that I needed to fork out big bucks to swap out suspension that should have been designed perfect from the factory. Ya, ya tell me about your hardtail…but the fact is this bike is designed for Touring and an Ultra is top of the line and is going to be packed to the gills for long distance runs.
The factory air cleaner and backing plate were replaced with a Big Sucker from A. Ness. Factory exhaust was replaced by a D&Ds new 2010 Boss Fat Cat 2:1 system.
The bike still lags for a second or so from a hard dead stop take off until the torque kicks in…..sluggish up to about 2800 rpm. Let’s set what injector tuning can do to cure this once the white stuff stops.
Heck my friend out ran me 3 bike lengths 1st gear through 4th. He peaked as he shifted into 5th and I passed him as I shifted into 6th, he was on my old 88CI Road King which has nothing more that SE air filter, SE slip ons, and a re-flashed map.…as some else mentioned, don’t think you’re getting a hot rod.
Also, even though the 103 comes with a factory oil cooler I found the motor management system kicking into “parade mode” with ambient air temps of 78 to 80 degrees while riding in city traffic. I hate to think how the bike is going to act in 90+ temps while in heavy city traffic.
No regrets, I got a fair price for my 2008 Ultra and now have a new bike with another 2 years warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been looking really hard at the new Ultra Classic Limited. Merlo and Sun Glo red of course.

Was wondering if the 103 motor will soon become the next standard motor and when?

Great post hdvandodge.

Not very likely.HD has seen the wrighting on the wall.The VRod wasnt just the moco's experiment to see if the buying public would bite.With EPA requirements getting tighter they've already introduced the cat in the head pipe.

With the current air cooled motor lineup already running dangerously lean we have all adapted to better airflow "louder pipes" the comunities have had enough of the loud pipes and stock mufflers seem to be on the horizon.

That takes away what little tuneing ability we had to combat the lean condition.More heat by going with bigger displacement from this point makes no sense.

I realy think liquid cooled is in the near future across the board.Not saying I like the idea but its better than electric,and maybe the moco can build a bagger that can beat out a Jap bagger for tourer of the year.

I bought the Limited and have no isues with it. I am still trying to find the sweet spot for the air shocks but that is minor. It handles great, has plenty of take off power and cruises effortlessly. I kept it stock and have no regrets. I swapped an 06 Road King Classic that had a stage 1 and V & H true duels. The Limited has not disappointed me at all. I did buy the Merlot/Cherry Red Sunglow. It really sparkles in the sun light. The web or dealer floor does not due the color any justice. I have had many people ask me if it is an after market paint job. Depending on how the sun hits the Merlot it takes a different tint.

Back