free website stats program What do you think about the new 103 motor? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

What do you think about the new 103 motor?

Going to find out real soon about 103 engine. Just bought the RG ultra with factory 103.
I have had nothing aginst my TC96 it served me well for 60,000 miles just time to trade and 103 comes with my new one. We shall see.

Allright smitty - let's see some pics of your new ride!!! I'm sure it was sad to see your old scoot go, but gotta love that "new bike smell."

I am really pleased with my 103. The engine is really torquey, good power down low through the rpm range that really matters for touring. Mine was put on the dyno after doing exaust,pcv and a/c and it returned 75hp and 92tq. So if your thinking its going to be a dragracer than you will dissapointed. Riding it is a total pleasure, the engine works effortlessly at moving the bike loaded down with gear and 2-up. As for the future, i would not be surprised at all if this engine is the base engine before long. Why not everybody knows the 103 is a very solid engine. As for the 110, i think they have most of the bugs out of it. Problem with it is the $10k price of admission on that one!

I'm really surprised that's all the power these put out! I have a 10 SG with the 96 motor and it runs fine and don't really need a lot more power. However, a couple years ago had a Yamaha Raider with the 1900 CC engine. That was a beast compared to my SG. I'd love to have that engine in my current SG!

I just bought a 2012 EC Classic with the 103 engine. It is a significant improvement over the 96 in my opinion. My last Harley was a '07 Road King, the first year of the 96 engine. That 96 was rattly, lacking in low end torque, and a leg scalder. There was not much of an improvement after stage 1 kit, Rinehart True Duals, and two different tuners, and two different tunes.

Right out of the box the 103 is an improvement. It does not rattle, has more low end torque and more horsepower. It does however run very hot. No doubt due to the catalytic converter in the heads and the extremely lean mixture. As soon as it is broken in, it will be getting Rinehart True Duals, S&S 551 cams, Arlen Ness Cleaner, and a good tune from one of the local pros. I suspect it will make a world of difference in performance and heat.

I am not one of these "Harley-Owners" that believes everything the "Motor Company" does is magical and wonderful. Some of it has been down right junk. AMF? In fact, I have boycotted and encouraged boycotting of Harley's foreign made apparel and accessories. You won't see any of it on my back or on my bike. No jobs will be sent to China, etc. on my dollar. Spend yours as you wish. I am now concerned with how much of the actual bike the CEO is outsourcing and I think I will undertake a campaign to find out. I have owned 5 bikes, two of them Harleys but, if my bike has to be made overseas, then I will get another German bike or an Italian bike.

Anyway, I digress, so far in the first 800 miles, I am very pleased with my EG Classic. It's almost on par with the old 88's.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought a 2012 EC Classic with the 103 engine. It is a significant improvement over the 96 in my opinion. My last Harley was a '07 Road King, the first year of the 96 engine. That 96 was rattly, lacking in low end torque, and a leg scalder. There was not much of an improvement after stage 1 kit, Rinehart True Duals, and two different tuners, and two different tunes.

Right out of the box the 103 is an improvement. It does not rattle, has more low end torque and more horsepower. It does however run very hot. No doubt due to the catalytic converter in the heads and the extremely lean mixture. As soon as it is broken in, it will be getting Rinehart True Duals, S&S 551 cams, Arlen Ness Cleaner, and a good tune from one of the local pros. I suspect it will make a world of difference in performance and heat.

I am not one of these "Harley-Tards" that believes everything the "Motor Company" does is magical and wonderful. Some of it has been down right junk. AMF? In fact, I have boycotted and encouraged boycotting of Harley's foreign made apparel and accessories. You won't see any of it on my back or on my bike. No jobs will be sent to China, etc. on my dollar. Spend yours as you wish. I am now concerned with how much of the actual bike the CEO is outsourcing and I think I will undertake a campaign to find out. I have owned 5 bikes, two of them Harleys but, if my bike has to be made overseas, then I will get another German bike or an Italian bike.

Anyway, I digress, so far in the first 800 miles, I am very pleased with my EG Classic. It's almost on par with the old 88's.

Only one thing about AMF. They poured a lot of money into H D R&D and gave us the 5 speed and the EVO motor. That said they pumped out too many bikes that should have never left the factory as they did, but we still bought them and rode them and made them better with after market (READ) better gaskets and hard parts, I know because I owned them and worked on a lot of them, JMHO

What color did you get?

Did the dealer give you a good price?

Got mine in Vivid Black. Looks great when it's clean.

Had to pay sticker, but they gave me a 2k gift card, suspension pump, 2 t-shirts, hog membership, swapped stock pipes for the ones on my trade in and gave me $1100.00 more on my trade than 2 other dealers.
Could not be happier with the bike

My stock 96 Ultra Classic is more than enough to pull 550lbs of 2 up all day....this is not to say I'm not getting ready to do a good stage one. 103?..meh..

Back