free website stats program Transmission Dipstick! | Page 9 | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmission Dipstick!

Checking my transmission oil today, 2009 UC , and noticed that the dipstick has some chafe marks. Took some photos of dipstick and the cause. As you can see there's a piece of casting/milling left at the bottom. This chafes against the dipstick, which will eventually cause failure. Have started the warranty process with my dealer and will keep you posted. Looks like they want to change out the transmission after only 3000 miles.

Attachments

• DSC_0563.jpg
    DSC_0563.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC_0566.jpg
    DSC_0566.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 67
Checking my transmission oil today, 2009 UC , and noticed that the dipstick has some chafe marks. Took some photos of dipstick and the cause. As you can see there's a piece of casting/milling left at the bottom. This chafes against the dipstick, which will eventually cause failure.

Great pictures! Exactly the cause on my '08 SG and with others bikes that I've brought this issue to there attention. Cut the stick everyone.

I've been following this one closely and looking at every bike I can get my hands on. I just don't see how this is possible on a 2009 or 2010 bike. Look at the parts diagram and the dipstick is no where near the cable to where they would rub together. The dealer we work with even had a 10 tour apart for some work and as they tore it down, it looked like they are too far apart for them to rub.

Is anyone seeing this on a 2010 bike? Look at the marks on the stick under some sort of magnification and see what it looks like. Could the small nicks be cast or mold marks? I'd hate to cut my purty chrome dipstick all up for no reason.

The SIX speed cases are different than 5 speed cases. This thread has jumped around between the cable rubbing on 5 speeds, and the casting slag remaining on the 6 speeds. Throw in vibration causes, and it complicates it even more. Someone said the dealer is replacing his six speed case because of the casting slag. I used a rat tail file to remove most of the slag, and chainged the trans oil. Then, I decided to play totally safe, and cut the dipstick off!

I would opt with the file, change the fluid like Breeze said. I would inspect the dipstick and get a new one.

I never bother with checking my transmission lube level. Nothing is leaking. There's no drip spots where the bike is parked. Transmission lube isn't under pressure and doesn't get consumed. I change the lube maybe every 20,000-25,000 miles ... take out a quart, put in a quart. The dipstick is pretty useless ... I can never see the lube level on the chrome stick.

I agree and never check my tranny fluid for the same reasons. I just stumbled upon this thread for the first time, though, and pulled my dipstick for a check. It has two marks on it about halfway down, one deeper than the other, but isn't very worrisome unless you consider vibration and harmonics. With a mark in the stick that point is weaker than the others and I can see it breaking in time, especially since the stick itself is fairly heavy. Tomorrow I'm cutting it and won't be buying another one to check, as I never do that anyway.

Mine has 2 spots outer serfice worn off..

Welcome to the "in the know" club. :) Went to a bike night last night in Southern Cal and had a photo copy of Glider's pictures, etc. A lot of dipstick removal today I'm sure. (and new HDTimeline members)

Checking my transmission oil today, 2009 UC , and noticed that the dipstick has some chafe marks. Took some photos of dipstick and the cause. As you can see there's a piece of casting/milling left at the bottom. This chafes against the dipstick, which will eventually cause failure. Have started the warranty process with my dealer and will keep you posted. Looks like they want to change out the transmission after only 3000 miles.
Yes This is what I found on my 07 and 2010 Ultra, they still have not addressed the problem

Back