free website stats program Transmission Dipstick! | Page 11 | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmission Dipstick!

Well guys! First of all I would like to thank you for the brief post.
I have a 2005 FXDC (7059 ml) and couple minutes before I checked the dipstick and found small marks in 3 places on it.
I think that I will follow the action described by HayWire.

Hey All,
Check out "clacking noise from clutch" in transmission section. Sure we all feel for the guy.

Yep. I saw that post and thought the same thing. I may be wrong but in my case, that dip stick stem was not made of soft material by any means. Maybe on the 2009's HD changed the material because after cutting off the stem, I beat it against an anvil and I would not call that material soft.

Took my bike to local HD service mgr and told him the story & guess what - he never heard of it, or seen any...seemed shocked. Then I showed him my old dipstick w/etching & he became a believer. Said they'll note to look at all 6-speed dipsticks to ensure none are wearing.

And this is a service manager? :small3d012:

He should be in charge of checking HD Net for the service bulletins. I'm sure there something on this about the dipsticks.

you know i was really worried about this and had been checking my dipstick for the signs every 500 miles, then i remembered durghhhhhhh no cable in mine its hydraulic:small3d012::newsmile022:

Doh but it could still fall apart due to vibration/poor quality manufacture as may have been indicated in previous posts so perhaps a good idea to chop it and keep a spare for checking
a replacement gearbox will cost about £1500 and a big bucket of £ to have it fitted
spare dipstick falls into small change in comparison

Brian

I was waiting to buy a new dipstick before I cut mine off, then realized it would be a long time before I went by the HD store. I cut mine off today, it only took about a dozen short, easy strokes with the hacksaw and it was off. I put the cut end in the vise and snaped it in two with only my bare hand. I smacked a piece, and it took several real hard blows to flatten it out. Before cutting the stick off, I measured my oil, then made a dipstick out of a carrage bolt and 2 fender washers. I ground a flat spot on one side and notched a full mark, the bottom of the bolt is add oil. I just plop it in the hole and see where the oil is. I'll keep it in the drawer with my special HD tools.

Hobbit; Even though you have a hydralulic clutch, doesn't your dipstick go into the main trans. case? Or is it in the trans. end?

Attachments

• trans dip stick 002.jpg
    trans dip stick 002.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 19
I measured my oil, then made a dipstick out of a carrage bolt and 2 fender washers. I ground a flat spot on one side and notched a full mark, the bottom of the bolt is add oil. I just plop it in the hole and see where the oil is. I'll keep it in the drawer with my special HD tools.

Now that is Great Idea & You Just saved me some money. Thanks!

I was waiting to buy a new dipstick before I cut mine off, then realized it would be a long time before I went by the HD store. I cut mine off today, it only took about a dozen short, easy strokes with the hacksaw and it was off. I put the cut end in the vise and snaped it in two with only my bare hand. I smacked a piece, and it took several real hard blows to flatten it out. Before cutting the stick off, I measured my oil, then made a dipstick out of a carrage bolt and 2 fender washers. I ground a flat spot on one side and notched a full mark, the bottom of the bolt is add oil. I just plop it in the hole and see where the oil is. I'll keep it in the drawer with my special HD tools.

Hobbit; Even though you have a hydralulic clutch, doesn't your dipstick go into the main trans. case? Or is it in the trans. end?

This is pretty much the same thing I did, took a piece of 1/8in stainless steel rod, then silver brazed a flat washer on the top of it and marked off the rod, same principle, no more worries..

Back