free website stats program Transmission Dipstick! | Page 8 | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmission Dipstick!

checked mine, hole not cut all the way down mark on stick. nice/// oh & the O ring in falling apart. whats it made out of CHEESE...

I never bother with checking my transmission lube level. Nothing is leaking. There's no drip spots where the bike is parked. Transmission lube isn't under pressure and doesn't get consumed. I change the lube maybe every 20,000-25,000 miles ... take out a quart, put in a quart. The dipstick is pretty useless ... I can never see the lube level on the chrome stick.

I never bother with checking my transmission lube level. Nothing is leaking. There's no drip spots where the bike is parked. Transmission lube isn't under pressure and doesn't get consumed. I change the lube maybe every 20,000-25,000 miles ... take out a quart, put in a quart. The dipstick is pretty useless ... I can never see the lube level on the chrome stick.

+1. I can never read the level on the dip stick myself..I do try and check it regularly.

For those who can't read their tranny dips sticks, here's a helpful hint for you. I too can't read the dipstick. I figure that I just can't ignore not reading it so I devised a method that seems to work pretty well. I insert the stick all the way in on my '03 Ultra, remove it and line the very tip of the stick up with the edge of a paper towel. The fluid transfers nicely onto the paper towel and I am able to see more clearly the level of fluid in there. Prior to doing that I couldn't hardly see any fluid on the shiny chrome stick. So yeah, it is pretty useless!

I've had good results by scuffing the stick up with some very fine sandpaper. It dulls it out a bit and you can see the fluid level better.

I've been following this one closely and looking at every bike I can get my hands on. I just don't see how this is possible on a 2009 or 2010 bike. Look at the parts diagram and the dipstick is no where near the cable to where they would rub together. The dealer we work with even had a 10 tour apart for some work and as they tore it down, it looked like they are too far apart for them to rub.

Is anyone seeing this on a 2010 bike? Look at the marks on the stick under some sort of magnification and see what it looks like. Could the small nicks be cast or mold marks? I'd hate to cut my purty chrome dipstick all up for no reason.

Look at the parts diagram and the dipstick is no where near the cable to where they would rub together. .

Well they are saying they could snap from vibration. I went ahead and cut off my 2009. I would never forgive myself if my tranny eat up the dip stick.

I've been following this one closely and looking at every bike I can get my hands on. I just don't see how this is possible on a 2009 or 2010 bike.

The cable is not near the dipstick on these later models so the cable wear issue is not a factor, however the poor quality of the part = making the possibility of it breaking is a reality. I agree with an earlier post, Tranny fluid is not consumable. If there are no leaks there will be no low levels. Keep an extra dipstick to check periodically if you feel the need, but I am going to remove the stick from the plug on my 09. I think it is far more important to check tire air pressure than tranny level on a regualr basis. If we are watching our rides at all we will see a leaky tranny. It would make a mess on the scooter or the floor quickly. This is an EZ fix that if ignored can be catastophic. :s

Back