Votes: 45 3.6%
  • Bel Ray

Votes: 56 4.5%
  • Lucas

Votes: 33 2.6%
  • OTHER (Please specify)

Votes: 223 17.8%

• Total voters
Switched to Spectro 6-speed 75W140 GL-5 a couple of nights ago. Wow! Had Royal Purple 75W140 in it (all I could find until the Spectro came in), and the difference is apparent!

Thanx for the suggestion!

Now running:

AMSoil SAE 20W-50 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil (MCV) - engine
Spectro SAE 85W Heavy Duty Primary Chaincase Oil - primary
Spectro SAE 75W-140 Heavy Duty Platinum 6-speed Transmission Oil - transmission (SE 6-speed)

TQ

Last edited:
Another vote for Spectro 6 Speed Platinum. Kind of spendy for a quart of fluid, but you only need one! It eliminated my 5th gear whine.

+1

It was $18.00 a quart.
I finally got to change the trans oil yesterday and I really like this stuff. It could just be my imagination but I no longer hear the 5th gear whine (but I still hear the voices in my head):skipping and transmission operation is smooth. I will be calling my local shop and letting them know how much I like this stuff and that it would be great if they could stock it although the owner said my opinion might be biased but I know for real this Spectro is good stuff.

I need ya'lls advice.--I'm jones'in to change fluids in the bike.--Looked all day in this little town for proper oils. I found 4 qts. of Mobil 1 V-twin(only 4 in this town!),found the Purolator filter(cross ref to HD 63798-99),--Spectro gear oil is 3 hrs. away! so I bought Lucas Hi perf 80/145 gear oil for tranny for now,--HD stealer is 2 hrs away, so instead of formula + for the Primary I bought a qt. of Valvoline 20/50 motorcycle oil which said on the bottle that it is superior in wet clutch applications.-- Am I on the right track with this combo?--I can allways drain it out --Thanks(Man I have never thought so much about oil products before for my rides!!)

You should be OK with your choices. Just remember that only put 3 1/2 qts in the engine and check it hot then add if you need more. I prefer the HD filter too.:s

Thanks glider,---Also, am I correct to fill the primary up(after I drain same) to just before it runs out the bottom of the cover hole with the bike sitting level? (I'm a virgin) ooops!!

Thanks glider,---Also, am I correct to fill the primary up(after I drain same) to just before it runs out the bottom of the cover hole with the bike sitting level? (I'm a virgin) ooops!!

Nope, on yours it gets filled to the bottom of the clutch basket straight up and level looking in through the derby cover. Too much oil and it will be hard shifting and finding neutral.

PRIMARYCHAIN2arrow.jpg

Never hurts to have a spare around when doing this. If you have the large "O" ring gasket on yours, it can be reused, the disc can be reused a few times but to be safe, have a spare on hand once you find out which one you have.

Back