Votes: 45 3.6%
  • Bel Ray

Votes: 56 4.5%
  • Lucas

Votes: 33 2.6%
  • OTHER (Please specify)

Votes: 223 17.8%

• Total voters
I used the Syn3 and the 6-speed quieted down and shifted a little smoother. Does the Spectra smooth it out more and is the heaver weight oil OK to use in ambient temps 60 and below?

HTC'sFLSTC

Even if you put brand X in the trans, get the syn 3 out of the trans and you would be better off. It's a motor oil and not a very good one at that as compared to the group 4 oils. Syn 3 isn't a true synthetic for openers but a modified group 3 oil (dino oil)

The Spectro is about the best choice that I have found to date and I have tries many. A bit expensive as compared to others but well worth it. You will see a noticable difference when you use the Spectro and especially over the Syn 3.

Take a look here.

Oil Groups Explained - Harley Davidson Community

Spectro-6 Speed. Very Happy With It!
Feels like a new ride...Well It Is...But, Can Defiitely "Feel" and "Hear" the difference.
I had no issues getting them to respond to me, and they made a follow up call to make sure I was satisfied with the product and if there was anything else they could do for me. (Make a few payments?):bigsmiley14:

Mobil1 75/90. It replaced the stealer installed Syn3 and made for much improved shifting. No hunting for Neutral and quieter clunk into 1st.:D

Nobody's mentioned Bel Ray products. Is there a particular reason, or is it just an average, non-standout product?

Their website shows 3 separate products for crank, primary, and tranny.

IMO, Bell Ray puts out some quality products, if you check into the specifics for them, I think there are better products available with different additive packages.

Last edited:
well i am a new owner and i will be changing tranny oil, but i have done some research on the spectro oil, which seems by all the comments very great. But it says it mainly for spherical cut gears to quite the tranny down. besides the gl5 rating, what other differences are there compared to the spectro platnum transmission fluid with the gl1 rating?? im trying to decide????

Basically you can use either the GL1 or the GL5. The GL5 had more additive package for the helical gears in the 6 speed but will work in either. For the same price I think I would opt for the GL5 in the 5 speeds. The Spectro's claim to fame really isn't to quiet things down, just to make it shift easier and last longer being a gear oil instead of an engine oil. It will quiet things a bit due to the heavier qualities than a plain motor oil.

well thank you, the spectro oil is kinda hard to find in my area, but i did opt to go with the 6 speed this morning and ordered some. thanks for the info tho. Even tho i did consult the dealer in my area and they said that the syn 3 is the way to go. I asked if that would satisfy the pressure inhibitng prpoerties needed in hypoid oil, but they could only tell me thats what they recommend.........kinda dont think i can consult them to much. so all in all im glad i found this place..... thank you all

kinda dont think i can consult them to much.
Amen to that. They usually only recommend what they sell for obvious reasons. My dealer handles Spectro and a few other brands too. It's nice to see a dealer that doesn't believe in "one size fits all"

Glad to have you here!

Back