free website stats program Things You Should Never Use On Or Do To Your Bike. | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Things You Should Never Use On Or Do To Your Bike.

Washing, Meguiars Gold Class
Polishing, Gold Class Wax
Chrome, Mothers Chrome Polish

Microfibre Cloth to polish chrome and paint, and clean after use for next polish job.

I haven't tried Mother polish, anyone used it.

For chrome rims, I use a lambswool duster before I go anywhere near them with a cloth.
A cloth may pick up some sandy dust and scatch them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brake fluids are not all the same. Never ever put DOT3 or DOT4 in a brake system that takes DOT5. You'll be sorry.

Check the master cylinder cap and always put the proper fluid in the brake system.

Glider, about using Pledge, I have read that it is a good product and works well. Is it something you use after a good wash? Instead of a wash? Or how? Does it take the place of a wax? Thanks for your advice.

Can't beleive you've got 50 posts and don't know about the Glider Pledge Campaign !!:bigsmiley24:

Never let a dealer tech, that you don't know, touch your bike, period. Even if you know the tech, don't let him/her touch your bike until you are absolutely sure you are not capable of doing the work yourself.

Remove watches, rings, bracelets, etc. before working on your bike. It will prevent minor scratches.

Question: I've used Easy Off oven cleaner on several occasions to remove surface material off of exhaust pipes, heat shields. Someone listed Easy Off as a "do not use." I'd like to learn more about their experiences using it.

Jim

I have used it to remove boot scuff marks off of my pipes with no ill effects.
But if it IS causing damage i'd like to know myself what harm is being done.

There's a new product out called "pig spit" that will remove those white spots......

And NEVER try to crank your bike while the battery charger is still connected to your battery.......

I am afraid to ask but why is that? I have done that before with my battery tender.:31:

never go faster than your Guardian Angel can fly.
With the my Harlley that never a problem
but with the Hayabusa I just tie her on to the handle bars

Always remember to take you feet off the floorboards,or pegs when stopped,unless you ride a trike then I guess it's OK!
When stopped for a break ALWAYS remember to wait till the OL Lady gets back on before leaving Very Important!!!!
Do not use wax with cleaners it can soften and eventualy destroy the clear coat,espically on older scoots, Harley Glaze and Pig Snot it's the way to go.

1 Do not use materials with Hydrogen Peroxide at strong concentrations (or better still avoid the stuff) - sometimes recommended for removal of stubborn bug carcasses/splots - is corrosive to metal and can damage some types of paintwork. An overlay of a wet towel for about 5-10 minutes will get most of it off and then Pledge will deal with the rest (almost up there with the manual as a great tool :D:D).

2 If you wear boots with metal/buckle on the instep (over the inner ankebone area) like some of the HD boots do - it will scratch the derby cover like crazy as you gear change (I've put some black insulating tape over my inner book metal ring) and if you ride in a forward position - maybe if you are short or carry a big passenger - it's worth having a tank bra to avoid your belt buckle or metal on your trousers gouging your initials and birth date into your gas tank when you move around.

Back