free website stats program Things You Should Never Use On Or Do To Your Bike. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Things You Should Never Use On Or Do To Your Bike.

I have gotten away without a torque wrench for the couple of years I have done minor work on my motorcycles. However, the value of a torque wrench was made apparent to me a few days ago when I was tightening a bolt and tightened a bolt and tightened a bolt. The bolt kept turning so I figured nothing was wrong. That is, nothing was wrong until the bolt snapped in the middle from all the torque. Yep, those torque wrenches look like mighty useful things.

When changing your oil, don't warm up the bike too much. Otherwise, you burn your fingers when you take the drain bolt off. Don't fumble the drain bolt and drop into the collection container, Don't use a collection container that has holes that are just large enough to let the drain bolt fall in, but make it impossible to get back out.

Make sure that you have a clean filter handy to replace the dirty filter, or another form of transportation, before you drain the oil. Otherwise, you have to either put the old oil back in or put the new oil in with the old filter so you can get to the store to buy the proper filter.

And, tighten the oil filter by hand instead of using an oil filter wrench. Otherwise, you will need two big guys using a wrecking bar for leverage to get it off.

Don't ask how I learned all these lessons.

Remove watches, rings, bracelets, etc. before working on your bike. It will prevent minor scratches.

Question: I've used Easy Off oven cleaner on several occasions to remove surface material off of exhaust pipes, heat shields. Someone listed Easy Off as a "do not use." I'd like to learn more about their experiences using it.

Jim

Don't use the squeegee at the gas stations on your windsheild! I seen aperson filling their vehicle one time and when the pump kicked off and the tank burped gas down the car this person hung up the pump,put the gas cap back on and took the said squeegee and "washed off" the gas with it!!! :breakdance

Never forget to give your bike a quick lookover for any visible damage before you drive away from a shop that worked on your bike....

I saw a cleaning tip in a Cobra exhaust ad once that recommended Easy Off for cleaning cooked on rubber, etcm off of pipes.

if you own a bike, a battery tender is a must. always attach the battery to a battery tender when not using the bike for more than 2 weeks. they are so important that they should come free with the bike!

Back