free website stats program The have & the have nots | Page 9 | Harley Davidson Forums

The have & the have nots

I joined the "haves" club three times. Yikes! The first time in the drive way putting her away. That was my sporty and I just lost my footing duck walking her in. Now I always ride the bike into the garage. Lesson a newby learned. The second time I was taking my new Deluxe to a cycle shop for the inspection so I could register her. Beautiful spring day.... I pulled into the lot, turned too tight and down we went. How embarrasing! The third time... my beautiful Deluxe again. At work, leaving for the day, uphill on a right hand turn at a stop. California stop and down I went. REALLY embarassing as a co-worker came to help me up. That was two years ago. Praying that is the last for a long time. You can never be too careful.

I joined the club on Saturday Sept 4, 2010. I was on my way home from a day trip, riding on the access road of one of the local freeways here in the Dallas Metroplex. I was about 1 mile from home in the right lane of a 3 lane road traveling about 35 mph and slowing for an upcoming intersection where the light was red. About 50 yards from the light it changed to green so I accellerated to get back up to the speed limit and that is when an older lady that had stopped for the light in the center lane suddenly decides to make a right turn in my pathway. I locked the brakes and made an attempt to lay the bike down but I hit her old Chevy in the right rear quarter panel. I went thru my windshield and over the backend of her car and did a head first somersault and ended out in the intersection. It knocked me out. According to witnesses she looked at me laying there and took off! Luckily she was caught and charged! I was fortunate...I ended up with a dislocated shoulder, 2 broken ribs, 3 small bone fractures in my neck, whiplash and a lot of road rash. I only spent one day in the hospital. Everthing has healed with the exception of the whiplash. I'm just happy to be alive! It did 9K damage to the bike. It is almost back together...I am making a few cosmetic changes that I think will make it look better. I should have it finished in a week. When it is done I will repost pics on this site. I am definitely one of those who have!

Lost mine in my driveway a couple months ago. Luckily only scratched my mirror and foot peg slightly. Felt a fool but at least I know I can pick my bike back up.

I joined the club on Saturday Sept 4, 2010. I was on my way home from a day trip, riding on the access road of one of the local freeways here in the Dallas Metroplex. I was about 1 mile from home in the right lane of a 3 lane road traveling about 35 mph and slowing for an upcoming intersection where the light was red. About 50 yards from the light it changed to green so I accellerated to get back up to the speed limit and that is when an older lady that had stopped for the light in the center lane suddenly decides to make a right turn in my pathway. I locked the brakes and made an attempt to lay the bike down but I hit her old Chevy in the right rear quarter panel. I went thru my windshield and over the backend of her car and did a head first somersault and ended out in the intersection. It knocked me out. According to witnesses she looked at me laying there and took off! Luckily she was caught and charged! I was fortunate...I ended up with a dislocated shoulder, 2 broken ribs, 3 small bone fractures in my neck, whiplash and a lot of road rash. I only spent one day in the hospital. Everthing has healed with the exception of the whiplash. I'm just happy to be alive! It did 9K damage to the bike. It is almost back together...I am making a few cosmetic changes that I think will make it look better. I should have it finished in a week. When it is done I will repost pics on this site. I am definitely one of those who have!

WOW! Makes mine look soooo insignificant, they might through me outta the club after that.... Glad you are okay.

Was down in VA for a small bike show/weekend vacation. We were in a parking lot bored and started moseying around the lot doing dumb stuff. I put my feet on top of the risers still steering with my hands and went around a curb too tight. Knew it was coming, pipes saved the fall. Just a niche on the lever.

I dropped my previous bike 4 times (2 times in 2 different years). Each time I was on a hill with a hard corwn and stopped. My foot on the low side was either on wet grass or sand each time and lid out from under me. Never even tried to catch the bike, just lay it down as easy as I could. No damage to me or the bike, except that pride thing.

I finally lowered the bike and never had an issue after that. Hopefully, those are the last of my dropsy days!

Yep, and it saved my life. While learning on my brother's bike, took a sharp but slow left, used front brake and down I went. Broke 6 left ribs, couldn't raise my left arm for a chest x-ray in the hospital, so they gave me a CT scan instead. Found stage 1 lung cancer in my left lung. Operation & chemo later am fine. Went out and bought a HD Trike. Like I said, riding saved my life. :small3d026:

Yep, and it saved my life. While learning on my brother's bike, took a sharp but slow left, used front brake and down I went. Broke 6 left ribs, couldn't raise my left arm for a chest x-ray in the hospital, so they gave me a CT scan instead. Found stage 1 lung cancer in my left lung. Operation & chemo later am fine. Went out and bought a HD Trike. Like I said, riding saved my life. :small3d026:
As if we need a reason to ride yours is better than most.

I dont think I know anybody that hasnt at least dropped their bike. If you spend any kind of time on a bike its sure to happen. at least you learned your lesson cheaply, like i did. some guys arent so lucky.

I joined the "have" club November 6, 2010. Stupid mistake, also one I will not make any time soon. I was in a construction zone turning left, and my front tire hit some sand. That was the end of that turn. I had the joy of watching my bike spinning in circles on my brand new saddle bags I put on less then 3 hours before. Thanks to my army training I did a nice combat roll (or I thought it was nice at the time). I thought I had just dislocated my left thumb, and the bike was still able to ride. I jumpted back on the bike to ride to a urgent care facility that was about 2-3 miles away. On the ride there I quickly found out my thumb was more then dislocated.

The bikes bill was $3,500, thank goodness for insurance cost me $500.
The hand was another story, with health insurance it still ended up costing me $6,800.

On a good note, I have my bike back, and I have been riding.

Now I'm in the cool group of people who "have"

Keep her on two, the fun lasts longer, and it lets you put more money in your bike for upgrades.

Back