free website stats program The have & the have nots | Page 10 | Harley Davidson Forums

The have & the have nots

Have. it was a nightster "test drive" on a U-turn. As a newbie with height of 5'2, i hesitated to go for the "California stop" or to "tippy-toe" my way around the corner since there was oncoming traffic. Before the ride, I was told to try not to look down, but i did... And i had 4 fingers on the front brakes.. and presto! panic, steer full lock, 4 fingers on the front brake, looking down on the front wheels = a "lay-down".. no harm to me nor the bike. Another advice they told me.. if it's going down.. it's going down.. so don't even try to stop a quarter ton machine from kissing the asphalt..

a few weeks later I got into a safety ride course (before i owned my motorcycle) and I talked about the incident. they gave me tips as follow:

1. by looking forward (heads up) increases your body balance They simulated by making me mock like I'm on a bike and put a box of smokes 2 meters in front of me. Then they made me look at it. With 1 finger, an instructor pushed me.. i was easily leaning forward. Now they wanted me to look straight ahead (as far as i can see).. not so easily "pushed around".. :small3d026:

2. to brake, 70% front, 30% rear, to avoid brake locks, i was taught to use 2 fingers, the index and middle finger. being those two are "not that strong" with out the others.

3. try not to fully turn the handle bars on very low speed/ California stop. I am other committed to the California stop with wider turn angle assuming there is no oncoming traffic or to stop before the U-turn, wait for traffic to pass by, then do the Dip/ walk the motorcycle till it's straight..

4. either you're (me) committed, or better back down.. there is no in between..

now i practice those tips every day on my way to work and still practice figure 8's (slow riding) in the parking lot as much as i can..

Is there a thread on riding tips i can read here?

I joined the club shortly after buying my first bike in 30+ yrs. My driveway consists of a product called "dirty rock" a mixture of sand clay and round river rocks. ( packs pretty good on level ground ) unfortunately my approach to my carport was downhill. The rain had washed the rocks to the bottom and at 2 mph the front end washed out on me...twice. no damage or injuries. Third time was exactly like yours...coming out of driveway, leaning and then..."car". Down I went. Oh. well, only my pride hurt and no big deal. better that than contact with a cage.

yup twice both when i was 18. both stupid and my mistake. first time stopped at a stop sign and forgot to put my feet down (it was a good party and i was 18 i could do anything). don't drink that stuff and get on the road anymore. Second time coming back from work running up a hill came right up behind a logging truck then swerved into the left hand lane. ooops car stopped waiting on traffic for to make a left hand turn into the hospital. connected at about 45mph they would not let me go to the hospital i had to wait for a ambulance. only damage to me was a cut in my heal, but i was sore for DAYS with all the bouncing ended up 30ft in-front of the car. just when there was a break in the on coming traffic.

not even going to mention the dirt bike years

I've been down more than once. I could probably be president of the "have" club. Last time I was on a Kawasaki Concourse pulling up to the gas pumps prior to crossing Beartooth pass. One minute I'm up and the next my bike is laying on its side running at redline. I think it was a combination of my inattention, a dip next to the pumps and a top heavy motorcycle. Broke the footpeg, scratched the mirror and bruised my ego.

On the plus side I had my riding buddy mention the crash to his wife knowing she would call mine. When mine called me I blamed it all on a design flaw with the kawi and told her I was going to eventually trade it for something safer. She assumed I meant when I got home from my trip, not! I traded it away for a new Road King at Yellowstone H.D. Wife was so happy to see me alive when I got home she didn't get mad until two day's later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone and anyone who's been riding for any length of time has dropped a scoot or two over the years, embarrassin but it happens to everyone. At the age of 9 old man gave me an old cushman, at the age 14 he gave me a honda 305, by 16 I was on a trumpet...and so on. You can bet every scoot I owned got 'dropped' at some time in it's ownership. Now when I drop this FB I just purchased ya can bet ya (EDIT) I wont tellin none of ya > laffs

I was fortunate as a kid, I grew up in a harley/trumpet atmosphere.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
First excuse me for asking a stupid question , what is a California stop ?

It is when you slow, almost stop, and continue on without stopping i. e. come to the end of a driveway or a stop sign without coming to an absolute stop. Do not know where the term comes from exactly, but first heard it at my MSF class.

I've been down more than once. I could probably be president of the "have" club. Last time I was on a Kawasaki Concourse pulling up to the gas pumps prior to crossing Beartooth pass. One minute I'm up and the next my bike is laying on its side running at redline. I think it was a combination of my inattention, a dip next to the pumps and a top heavy motorcycle. Broke the footpeg, scratched the mirror and bruised my ego.

On the plus side I had my riding buddy mention the crash to his wife knowing she would call mine. When mine called me I blamed it all on a design flaw with the kawi and told her I was going to eventually trade it for something safer. She assumed I meant when I got home from my trip, not! I traded it away for a new Road King at Yellowstone H.D. Wife was so happy to see me alive when I got home she didn't get pissed until two day's later.

That's a great one! Everyone take note!

Back