free website stats program Shovels | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Shovels

Hello Shovelors! Can anyone tell me what happened in 1978 to make a shovelhead a 1978-1/2? My son is getting out of the airforce this week. While he was in, I came across a shovelhead that was all there but not running. We paid $1000 for it and got it fired up and running while he was on leave last summer. When he gets home his first priority is to get that machine road worthy. So what do I need to know about that 1/2 year issue? Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Hello Shovelors! Can anyone tell me what happened in 1978 to make a shovelhead a 1978-1/2? My son is getting out of the airforce this week. While he was in, I came across a shovelhead that was all there but not running. We paid $1000 for it and got it fired up and running while he was on leave last summer. When he gets home his first priority is to get that machine road worthy. So what do I need to know about that 1/2 year issue? Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Early 78's had points,late 78's had electronic ignition.

Thanks for the info! Is that the only change? Wow. seems like a weird thing to do mid year. They must have thought it was a change worth making.....I never had any trouble with points...anyway, thanks again!

Moving from points & condenser technology (mechanical switching) to electronic technology was a pretty big step...and like anything new, had a few years of "growing pains" with industry experimenting with LED and optical pickups, magnetic reluctance (magnets, coils and transistor chopper), to finally Hall effect moving coil in magnetic field w/ transistor amplified signal feeding ECM processor finally winning out. Points and condenser are essentially non-electronic...primitive but effective, replacing the parts only if worn...not a bad deal for the do it yourself crowd...!

Thanks for the feedback! Now to find the best option for my son's project. I gotta say this is one of the more interesting ones I've seen. The guy i bought it from was a commercial electrician and when we pulled off the speedo cover, guess what? Household wire nuts for all connections....Needless to say, all wiring was removed. I wish i could post the video I have of the moment that engine cranked over and my son's reaction. Pure Joy!

When you get a chance post up some pictures. Would love to see it. Get a Photobucket account, save your pictures as *.jpg files at 800 x 600 size using their editor and copy the last of four options into your posts and your good to go.

OK, good information. I am using a mac, with i-photo. I did post some pictures of my panhead and geezer glide on my profile page, but they are way too big. There are a couple of the shovel coming home too. (That's a '55 Chevy first series by the way). I will repost them at 800 x600. How about video? Can we post video anywhere here?

Thanks for the info! Is that the only change? Wow. seems like a weird thing to do mid year. They must have thought it was a change worth making.....I never had any trouble with points...anyway, thanks again!

They also changed the style of the 4 speed transmission. Still a four speed but a little different. There are probably others changes too. I remember seeing other things in the manual referencing the late and early 78.

Thanks for the feedback! Now to find the best option for my son's project. I gotta say this is one of the more interesting ones I've seen. The guy i bought it from was a commercial electrician and when we pulled off the speedo cover, guess what? Household wire nuts for all connections....Needless to say, all wiring was removed. I wish i could post the video I have of the moment that engine cranked over and my son's reaction. Pure Joy!

I am not sure, but I think Harley used the blue inline splice clamps under the speedo cover. Not a huge step away from wire nuts.

I replaced the wiring harness on my 81. I am 99% sure it was the orignal harness. I know the bikes history from 1984. It had the inline clamps and the replacement harness came with them too.

Back