free website stats program Pledge is great cleaner | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Pledge is great cleaner

pledge.jpg
IMG%5D
bills985

OK, Ok whood a thunkit, I am a convert too. Tried it yesterday and was impressed. I had a good coat of wax (Nu Finish) on it already. Used a damp rag to get the prior evenings bug carcasses off. Then sprayed pledge on a rag and wiped it on then buffed with a dry one, was gleeming for sure. Looked so good had to go for another ride. :)

Can't believe this post still has legs...glad you guys are liking the Pledge. From reading, ya'll have hashed it out pretty good..Ride Safe

I'm glad they brought it up again. I just put some new chrome on the bike and used some Pledge to shine it up. It works great! I'm cleaning the bike tomorrow and will finish the job with a good wipe down of Pledge. If it does as well on the rest of the bike as it did on my small chrome parts, I'll have the shiniest bike at work on Tuesday. :s

You got it my friends, the secret is out. Pledge offers the same detail cleaning, shine, and protection as the more expensive motorcycle products on the market for a lot less money. Damn, I should have bought stock in Johnson & Johnson years ago before this secret was reveled on the world wide web. Damn the luck!

I own a furniture refinishing business and cabinet shop. I have recommended against Pledge for years because it has silicone in it. Furniture that has had Pledge causes fish eye in the finish coats. The silicone does not wash out even with paint remover and lacquer thinner. If you ever repaint any part of your bike you may have fish eye problems. Yes, there is 'smoothie' that is added to the paint/clear coats but fish eye still occurs in unpredictable places.

And I would never pressure wash my bike. The pressure forces water past seals and into wheel bearings, swing arm bushings, etc. I learned this in the dirt bike days.

You are absolutly incorrect in the fact that pledge contains silicone according to the material safety data sheet on Pledge. Actually it is HYDROTREATED HEAVY NAPHTHA (PETROLEUM); (ISOPARAFFINIC
HYDROCARBON SOLVENT) for the most part. It contains no wax or silicone but used over a waxed painted metal surface provides the cleaning and shine and with the protection of the wax underneath on painted steel and chrome without destroying the water shedding properties of the wax underneath and with the added protection with the moisture shedding ability of the pledge.

In so many cases the protection and shine products for automobiles and motorcycles do contain silicone in numbers too many to count, especially the long lasting protection products advertised as once a year applications. So, this is not a new thing. Proper paint preparation and phosphoric cleaning on bare metal is sufficient even using these products. But pledge is not one of these. The film on top of the clear coating on furniture whether it be lacquer or polyurethane is a whole different story. Even the lacquer thiner itself absorbed can cause the "fish eye" when penetrating the wood. I'm not going to try to tell you about wood refinishing since you are the expert but I can tell you as an experienced metal painter that prepping for a paint job on steel after using pledge is a non issue. I do have experience in this. I don't know definitively what is causing your problems with wood, but evidently it doesn't apply to metal or plastic parts on a Harley. IMHO

Peace brothers

Last edited:
Back