free website stats program Non Drinker? Why.. | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

Non Drinker? Why..

I do not understand when you guys who haven't had a drink in years say you can't handle even one but I don't understand a lot of things. You do have my admiration and deepest respect by not taking the chance of trying that first one. I wish I had your willpower and strength.

That's my problem I never had one drink in 27 years of active drinking. For some reason I was just born with an allergy to alcohol.

69 years old and never started drinking or smoking. Not bragging, just fact. Never aquired a taste for alcohol, not even beer.

Not a "do gooder" either, as most all of my friends drink to some extent and I do not fault them for that. All of my known relatives are drinkers to some degree but the urge escaped me for some reason. Most generally say, "nothing like a cold beer on a hot day"!! Tried that and don't like the bitter taste of beer either. Ice Tea is awesome on a hot day!!!

However, there have been times when I was harrassed for being in the crowd and a non-drinker. Someone always trying to put a drink in your hand!!

I do not understand when you guys who haven't had a drink in years say you can't handle even one but I don't understand a lot of things. You do have my admiration and deepest respect by not taking the chance of trying that first one. I wish I had your willpower and strength.
Some people can handle things, some can't. I have an occasional drink, no big deal. My brother has a drinking problem, therefore, he no longer drinks. He stayed in trouble when he drank, and he will be the first to tell you that if he was still a drinker, he wouldn't be here today. :s

Because sometimes 1 isnt enough and 2 is too many!!! ( ten foot tall and bullet proof ) :yes

Happy New Year to all!!!
Stay strong to those struggling out there.
Ride Safe.......Springs a comin'
wilks3

I have a transplanted kidney and the doctors only allow me three alcoholic drinks a week. It is like drinking decafinated coffee. What is the point?

I quit drinking and doing drugs back in 1997, because of all the issues I was having that were due to the abuse of alcohol and drugs. A couple years ago I decided to drink again, knowing that if it became an issue I would go back to the same program I used to help me in the first place. I found out that I was not an alcoholic, but at one point in my life I had a serious drinking problem. Now I drink a beer when i feel like it. I don't have the desire to drink anymore than that. Anybody that has a real alcohol problem quits because they know they literally can not stop with just one. My hats off to all who have realized this issue. It's tough. When I'm at a gathering these days and I may or may not have a beer, it's really easy for me to tell when almost anyone had had more than a few, and I thank the guy above for relieving me me of those bonds...to each his own.

If I go out for a special dinner with other people, I will have 1 beer with my meal and it has to be a micro-brew or import. I am always the designated driver so I do not want to wreck my life or the ability to carry my firearms concealed. In AZ, If I ever get a DWI/DUI, I will lose my CCW.

Also, since 1985, I had to take drug tests and background checks for my employment. I would never get hired with a DWI/DUI.

I think addition and this is JMHO, I believe some people are more prone to it then others

It's really a good idea to give up drinking, smoking pot, snorting powder, or as some enjoy shooting drugs in there veins. I quit doing everything except some drinking after 25 years.
I grew up as most of U folks did in the 60's, 70's, Vietnam vet..
Some people deal with addiction very well and some do not.
Maybe that is why Jesus died on the cross? For people with addictions, of everykind, drinking, drugs, sex, etc..
Maybe my reply does not addresse this topic, but I just want to make clear that just because U give up drinking never gives U the right to be self rightoues (misspelled).
I believe in generation curses as the Bible talks about, and that addictions are passed down the gene lines.
Please do not take my imput the wrong way, just my two cents worth.
Some brothers and sisters do very well from where they came from in ther youth.

WOW..:small3d022:

I have a beer or glass of single malt from time to time. Mayby 3 or 4 drinks a week. Have to admit I like the effect......relaxing. I can say I have never drank to excess and never drink when driving a car or my bike.

However.....and here it is.....bad alcoholic tendancies in my family. My dad, two grandfathers, grnadmother, 3 uncles. Some got sober and some still struggle. My twin brother and I swore we would watch out for each other and drank in college.....again...never to excess and we both swore we would never let alcohol take control. That came to a screeching halt last year. While I was deployed for a year I found out my brother lost his job due to drinking and his wife left him for a time. Went completely over the edge......drinking daily to the point of dt's if he tried to quit. Thankfully he is recovering and he is back with his family.

I have a great career and a blessed life. Am I taking a chance on ruining it by continuing to drink.....even only 3 - 4 a week. Again I have to admit I like the relaxing feeling and find myself looking forward to that glass of single malt while watching the news at night. I am open to all comments from you guys!

Back