free website stats program Non Drinker? Why.. | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

Non Drinker? Why..

I like a drink, both whisky and beer. I rarely go out and drink to excess. Normally I have a couple of drinks at home. I love a glass of port with cheese and biscuits. I never drink and drive. I got caught in Jul 85, and don't have any drink if I am driving.

Its a personal choice like the helmet argument.

For those who abstain, I respect your views; for those who don't, cheers :newsmile100:

I agree

.When i was 18,the drinking age was 18.Grew up drinking heavy .Never had an alcohol related accident .One d.u.i. several years ago changed my outlook on things .It's just not worth drinking and driving.I now drink in moderation,and usually at home.Not all of us have to drink into oblivion when drinking.I have a couple of beers most evenings ,but I have quit the liquor.
To those that are addictive and had to quit ,Congratulations .To those that drink responsibly and in moderation ,Congratulations.
Have a good New Years

been struggling with it for a long time doing ok right now sure wish i knew how to get ride of that urge to stop at the store and get a 12pack when i get off work...i just ride on by go home and fix a cup of coffee. but i still have that urge everyday. i'll tell u what all the people that just never liked alcohol and never had a problem with it you are very very lucky. i would not wish my problem on my worst enemy! but like i said i'm hanging in there right now.in fact its time to brew some coffee up!
Keep it up, you're doing great.

First of all, Happy New Year to everybody!

I enjoy responsible drinking with responsible drinkers. Everybody makes a choice when they drink and I drink in moderation. However, some choices that people make about drinking are bad.

My girlfriend is moving out today because she is choosing alcohol over our relationship. Without going into specifics about how the conversation got started, I suggested that she had a drinking problem and I asked her to get help.

She said that she didn't have a drinking problem; she had a falling down problem. Denial is a sign that you may have a problem. Perhaps our relationship wasn't as strong as I had hoped. I would like her to get counseling and stay around, but she is choosing to move on. I wish her the best. Maybe I could have tried harder, but she has been divorced five times because of her drinking. I knew that when we began our relationship, and I thought that I could help. After a year of trying, I am worn out and heartbroken.

I have seen the devastation of alcoholism on families and relationships over and over again. I am aware of the sadness that it can bring.

I will stop drinking if I think that it is a problem, or if anyone near me thinks that I have a problem. That is not a New Years resolution, that is a lifetime resolution.

If anyone tells you that you have a drinking problem, you probably do. If you love them, find a way to work it out if you can.

Note: Hank Williams Senior died at the age of 29 on New Years Day in 1953 because of alcohol related problems. Many others have suffered a similar fate.
Soory to hear of the break up. Pray one day she will recognize she has a serious problem and gets help.

First of all Holy Diver, you didnt have to drive by the store yesterday but you did, and you can stop tomorrow, but if you just drive on by today it will get easier. Tell yourself that everyday. Good luck to you brother.

My short story,
I was coming home from a beer festival and there was a major accident on the interstate. I had been up for quite a while by this point and I saw that there was one dead person and medics working on others and I decided that I am going to die one day and I was done throwing my life away. Thats was July, 26 2005 I was pretty young, 23, still am. It was just my time, I dropped that life and somehow have not gone back. Life gets so much better. I actually just got married today to an awesome woman, and i know that would not have happened if I continued down that path. I probably wouldnt be here typing this right now.

Thanks for letting me share!

If anyone needs to talk feel free to pm me.

Congrats on getting married.

I had an eyeopener on how alcohol changes people back when I was 17 and staying with my second oldest brother to finish the last few months of high school after my parents sold one farm and bought another further away.
My brother was an alcoholic. I knew he drank but didn't know the extent of how much and how it changed him. Almost every night he'd be pounding on a bottle of rum. To me it was neat thing to sit around with him and share a few drinks and shoot the breeze. Unfortunately he never just had a few. While drinking with him one evening I decided I'd try and prevent him from getting too drunk by drinking a little more myself. My train of thought being then there would be less rum for him if I drank more of it. That didn't work out as planned when he grabbed the bottle and threatened to blow my head off if I ever drank his booze again. I didn’t realize it then but that was his way of keeping me from becoming like him.
This was someone I used to look up to and admire. As soon as I graduated I was out of there. Several years later he met the right woman who set him straight and he’s been alcohol free for 27 yrs now.

As for me, after I left home I’d do some drinking with friends usually beer. But as I hit my early twenties I was drinking heavier on days off and felt myself getting suicidal. So when I met my wife I decided to quit drinking for a year. She was the reason to change before I got out of control and messed up a great relationship. Been together 26 yrs and counting.
I still drink occasionally but keep it to no more than a few at a time and at most only drink one or two days out of the month; except during the summer, but then it’s no more than one beer a day and on my days off only.

My hat's off to those whos drinking was a problem and manage to keep the temptation at bay. And cheers to those who drink responsibly.

I just wanted to clarify my drinking. I like a glass of wine with a meal whilst out. I like the odd beer or whisky at home. I don't go out drinking with my buddies much, and it would be a very rare occasion to find me drunk.

I couldn't give up. I don't have the willpower.

I just wanted to clarify my drinking. I like a glass of wine with a meal whilst out. I like the odd beer or whisky at home. I don't go out drinking with my buddies much, and it would be a very rare occasion to find me drunk.

I couldn't give up. I don't have the willpower.

No reason to give up if you are in control, as an Alcoholic I am not in control, but I am OK with it now for all who drink responsibly :cheers just dont drink and ride:s

No reason to give up if you are in control, as an Alcoholic I am not in control, but I am OK with it now for all who drink responsibly :cheers just dont drink and ride:s
I commend you Jack for your strength. I don't think any of us would be enjoying your input on/to the forum if you were still on the bottle. Stay sober my friend!

I enjoy a couple drinks now and then, and appreciate those who had the will power to stop and be a part of this post. I have known many who have suffered due to alcohol related injury and even death so I am truly lucky to have survived "-yon lusty brawling era..."!

I have also known many who are in the industry and enjoyed the fruits of their labor and dedication it takes to farm and harvest crops, prepare and manufacture that "perfect" blend. Would have sample tastes in the cellars and yes party with them as well.

BTW, congratulations Glidenwide and hopefully this new year will bring more success stories to you and all the members here. The industry knows that it has to do it's due dilegence too...so if you do...drink in moderation and do not drink and ride. To those who abstain and fight the good fight my hat is off!:hii

I commend you Jack for your strength. I don't think any of us would be enjoying your input on/to the forum if you were still on the bottle. Stay sober my friend!

Thanks Cyclops, if I had not stopped I would not be here, enjoy being sober and helping when I can, kind of like religion tho it is not for every one and Lord knows I aint no preacher just a humble servant one day at a time:s

I do not understand when you guys who haven't had a drink in years say you can't handle even one but I don't understand a lot of things. You do have my admiration and deepest respect by not taking the chance of trying that first one. I wish I had your willpower and strength.

Back