free website stats program Is Harley Davidson Bikes Overpriced? | Page 12 | Harley Davidson Forums

Is Harley Davidson Bikes Overpriced?

Does anybody of you think that these bikes are over priced?
I mean there are a lot of cheaper bikes and look good and are also very good. I feel that these bikes are though of great quality and performance, but a little overpriced.

It is questionable whether you came to the right forum to post your query! The fact that H-D owners have already proven they are willing to pay the $$ for their rides (and image, brotherhood, lifestyle, etc.) will bias their opinion.

Any owner's group is comprised of individuals that are proud of their purchase and be willing to defend their choice. Check out forums for other brands.

Many metric cruisers sold in the US (maybe most?) are built in the US and support US workers. The cruiser style is popular in the US and that credit probably does go to Harley, since they were making and selling them in the US long before the metrics arrived. But that doesn't mean the metric makers need to re-invent the wheel or can't build a cruiser that will appeal to the tastes of US buyers.

Much has been said about the resale value of H-D. Asking price and selling price are two different animals, but it is true that the classified ads in my local paper are full of used H-D's for sale--probably 2 or 3 times as many as other brands. Not sure what that means, but ...

Paying the $$ for an H-D will buy you an image and gain you an entrance into a group that otherwise probably wouldn't notice you. Birds of a feather do flock together. And you will have a fine motorcycle as well.

The 40-50 ci (sorry, 750-900 cc) cruisers that are now days called mid-sized, made by non H-D companies, are probably the best bang for the buck for buyers on a budget.

Having said all that, if you truly want a Harley you'll never be satisfied until you get one. And then you too can tell everybody that you really did get what you paid for and you love it.

Are Harley Davidson motorcycles over priced? Oh yes!!! Has that stoped me from buying seven of them in the last 22 years? Oh No!!!!! :D I just can`t help myself, I`m addicted to the Bar and Shield.:)

Probably has more to do with demand. There's only one Harley, but there are dozens of metrics that are all about the same. I too support American labor whenever I can.

There are a lot of good comments in this thread, wow what a topic!

I guess I would have to say that Harley's are only over priced if you want one and can't afford it. I am fortunate to be able to afford a Harley. I've ridden others, I even had a BMW K1200LT, touted as one of the best touring bikes you can buy. But I'll tell you what, that BMW couldn't hold a candle to the '05 Electra Glide Classic I had not to mention my new '08 Ultra Classic! They were about the same price too.

In my mind it is not as important what you ride, it is important that you ride!

Sorry but I have to vent here a bit. Up in Canada we are paying anywhere from 30 to 40 percent more then our U.S. brothers and sisters for Harley Davidson bikes, parts and clothing. Just today there was a story on the news about our dollar being about par with yours but Canadian's still paying more for the same products. I have to tell you it pisses us off big time but there is not a thing we can do but not buy those products or order online. I'm going to try online and hope not to get ripped off. It sure would be easier just to go to the local Harley shop to pick things up (two in Calgary) but I'm not a rich man. In fact I would not even have the bike I got if my mom and dad hadn't left a small inheritance. Thanks Mom Thanks Dad.

Animal if you order on line from the U.S. try to have it shipped USPS instead of UPS. The brokerage fees ups charges can be pretty stiff. I find most items arrive about 10 - 12 days. I also find that if your order is less than $100. you might not be charged gst.

Tell me what isnt overpriced any more .. Gas food cloths cable blah blah blah everything is going up excpet what ya get paid

Animal if you order on line from the U.S. try to have it shipped USPS instead of UPS. The brokerage fees ups charges can be pretty stiff. I find most items arrive about 10 - 12 days. I also find that if your order is less than $100. you might not be charged gst.
Thanks for the tip!

Back