free website stats program Is a Sportster a "real" Harley? | Page 8 | Harley Davidson Forums

Is a Sportster a "real" Harley?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted a Harley Davidson Sportster Custom and I finally got one. The 883 is fun and fast. Infact I was having fun with a guy on his Dyna the other day and he was having fun keeping up with me riding around in the city. But back to the point it definitly is a Harley.

i also have a sporty . the last time i looked at the sticker on the tank it said harley davidson and i sure have spent way to much money if isn't . i don't know about the rest of yours but mine will get up and move on down the road just like the other harleys and sure does corner great.

Hi. First saw a 1000cc XLCH Sportster in Pratts of Greenwich back in 1978. At £3500.00 could not afford it but fell in love. Managed to buy my first Sportster 1200 in 1990. Loved it to bits. Moved on to a Dyna then a Roadking. Lately due to ill health, the Roadking was getting too much of a effort to haul around so she had to go. Not wanting to be without a Harley I bought a 2009 Nightster as I just loved the look of it. Now I am always popping out to the garage to look at it. Proper Harley ? Of course it is !

I have actually read this entire thread. God I need a life.

To answer your question; no, a Sportster is not a "real" Harley. If you look under the Harley emblem on your bike you will see the word "Vespa". It may be faded, someone may have tried to paint over it or grind it off, but it is there.

Now go ride your darn bike and quit worrying what other people think. If you are worrying about what other people think you didn't buy the bike for yourself, you bought it to impress others. That isn't the right reason to buy a motorcycle.

You are riding a Vespa. There are millions of them on the road. Some of them are even painted pink. I will probably buy one of those. Feel proud that you are a member of an elite group of motorcycle wannabees. PeeWee Herman owns 3 of them.

And yes, the Vespa 1%'ers is the baddest bunch of big meanies you will ever meet up with.

Its getting worse now - a few weeks later and 1000 kms on the clock I find that I have to start it once a day - is this normal or do i need therapy ?????

I agree with you Hobbit. Anytime life has stressed me out I always go to my "therapist" and she never lets me down. Once I get in the wind all of my problems and stress disappear and I am able to enjoy life. That is the reason I own a bike in the first place. I don't really care what others say or think but I ride to escape and enjoy life! What better therapy?

Its real you have to ride one to know that its not as easy as one would think. I had my sporty for two years and every ride made me fell like I road a 1000 mile day. my girl loved my sporty she is 11, and has protested my sale of it. enjoy it and forget the rest.

My old man keeps telling me I my Sportster looks like a mini Bike next to his and my little 883 isn't going to keep up with his TourGlide. my reply " your '86 tourglide looks expired, and ill be sure to put the coffee on so its done by the time you get there grandpa"....is a sporty a harley? I can keep the front in the air better than I can on my zzr, the weight makes it more stable, yet it grunts everytime i twist it open. yes its a harley....

Best selling part of the HD family. I really hope it's a Harley, otherwide the MoCo are going to have to do an awful lot of expensive refunding:s

I really think the purchase of my 883 was the best money I've ever spent. Riding a motorbike, especially one with so much character, like any of the HDs, is a joy and a privilege and will save you a fortune on therapists' fees if you want to invest in some seriously good stress relief. I'm lovin' it now but I know I'm really gonna love it once I've Stage 1ed it. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back