free website stats program Is a Sportster a "real" Harley? | Page 10 | Harley Davidson Forums

Is a Sportster a "real" Harley?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if my 08 1200C is a real Harley or not, BUT I just got home from the stealership and had Python3 slip-ons put on it and now IT SOUNDS LIKE A REAL HARLEY! :D Tracy

I've been riding over 25 years on all kinds and makes of bikes. Hondas, Suzukis, Yamahas, BMWs, Ducatis etc.
I now ride an 08 XLC 1200 Sportster, and it rides like no other bike !, It definitely is a Harley !
People who deride you over a Sportster are either non-riders, or if they ride a "larger" twin and talk trash, are trying to "compensate" for a "little" problem....hehe

JUST RIDE !!!

BTW... I "RIDE" my Harley, I don't drive it........ :)

Hmmm...It's like saying a Ferrari V8 isn't a real Ferrari.... It's plenty real for me!!!

Sportster has been around for a long long time and well accepted....whoever thinks it's not a real deal is going bonker in his head.

Surely you understand that these comments are made in jest?

I am often asked, "Why are you riding a girl's bike?" - uh, because I'm a girl. And, "Are you ready to trade for a bigger bike?" - Why? You want my Sporty?

But these same guys love my bike, the look and the sound of it. Would they like to ride it, yes? Daily? Probably not. But that's okay. I don't want their bike, or any other one right now.

And Harley has recently put out some bikes that don't look like Harleys...the Sportster is not one of those.

I want to ask everyone who owns a Sportster this question. Have you ever had anyone ask you why you bought a sportster instead of a "real" Harley? I have had this asked me several times. Don't these ignoramouses know that Sportster was one of the first lines Harley put out? I point out the decal on my sporty. It says Sportster by Harley-Davidson. This is just something that has bugged since I have had my Sportster. I am very happy with my sporty and will ride it until either it or me drops.

OMG! And all this time, I thought my Sportster was a Honda product! :yahoo

Last edited:
i'm guilty of the "thats a girls bike" comment . the sportster is just that harley's sporty bike . it is faster and handles better than most of the other bikes right out of the box . the truth is i'm just breaking stones when i say it to people . i'm acctuallt trying to get my buddy to buy a sportster , but he's all cought up in the whole "girls bike" thing . i will say this though , if you are a bigger guy (or girl) get a bigger bike . it just looks silly when you are bigger than the bike you are riding . that being said my buddy is only 5'8" or so . so a sportster will be perfect for him plus (and i haven't told him this , yet ) i'll never be able to keep up with him if he didn't want me to .:newsmile106:

IT IS A REAL HARLEY ! just not for me but niether is a V-ROD so does that make that "not a real harley" ? after all the motor was designed by porche .

Was at a local locksmith shop who made the comment that Sportster was not a real Harley...I then pointed out that his blanks for a HD key were not Harley either...sayonara!

One thing that a bro and I do at work when people make comments about being a "biker" or riding, we simply ask them where is your bike? I have learned to do this and have found that it works wonders. It is amazinf how many people talk the talk but cant back it up when the need arises. There is always some excuse or the other as to why they no longer ride or why they can't have a bike( the usual excuse is to blame wifey.....). As for me as I have stated in other threads it is a family tradition so to speak. As tp why I own a Sportster? I wish Obama would stimulus me so that I could get that Fatboy that I want:small3d036::small3d036::small3d036:
By the way, I still enjoy the Sporty very much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back