free website stats program Is a Sportster a "real" Harley? | Page 9 | Harley Davidson Forums

Is a Sportster a "real" Harley?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all -

Personally I had shopped for a Harley for years before pulling the trigger on a all black 09 Nightster. I think it was all about style and what appeals to you the rider. For me it was the low stealth look about the Nightster and the fact that it just looked mean. Funny thing is that I thought I would get grief or have to put up with friendly smack talk from the group I ride with (rough crowd) but have heard nothing but love. Its like someone else said earlier - its what you like not what anyone else likes... unless they bought it for you that is :D

Just my 2 cents

I started riding 4 years ago when I was 55. I bought an 05 Honda Shadow Sabre and added an 05 Goldwing a few months later. All my Harley friends said they were both rubbish and asked when I was going to get a "real" bike. I bought an 09 Road Glide about 8 months ago. My Honda friends said it was rubbish and when was I going to buy a "real" bike.

I have 2 "real" bikes (my Goldwing and my Road Glide) and I don't care what people say about either one of them. The Sportster is also a "real" bike and a "real" Harley Davidson. I would have bought one, but I'm partial to the big heavy touring models.

I started riding 4 years ago when I was 55. I bought an 05 Honda Shadow Sabre and added an 05 Goldwing a few months later. All my Harley friends said they were both rubbish and asked when I was going to get a "real" bike. I bought an 09 Road Glide about 8 months ago. My Honda friends said it was rubbish and when was I going to buy a "real" bike.

I have 2 "real" bikes (my Goldwing and my Road Glide) and I don't care what people say about either one of them. The Sportster is also a "real" bike and a "real" Harley Davidson. I would have bought one, but I'm partial to the big heavy touring models.

If they have two wheels (sometimes three) and you ride them then it is a real bike. Just try to tell my son's that their Moto-cross bikes aren't REAL bikes!:D

The Sportsters, the whole series, ARE definitively Harley's.
And some of the most beautiful and classic models too!!!
I had a XL1200R Roadster and I enjoyed it: beautiful looking, good quality, iron everywhere...
Only I found it too small for my taste and traded it for a Dyna Street Bob, but I definitely love the Sporster!
I'd buy the Iron883 if I could in addition to my Dyna!
The Nighster is gorgeous looking and the Custom is a shining chrome....
The difference with the Big Twin is that they express the torque at higher rpm's and the engine is generally more "rude".
But you can ride comfortably and safely for hundreds of miles a day and reach the same destinations you can reach with a CVO!
Long live to the Sportster!
:)
Ciao
Ugo

It makes no difference what you ride, as long as you ride. If it makes you happy, smile and leave 'em in the dust.:D

OMG - of course a Sporty is a real Harley! Some people are just silly! I loved my Sporty and wish I had enough money to keep both bikes. Sportsters are a fun ride and who cares what people think anyway!

Hmmm, is a Sporty a Harley.... Of course it is. The same way a V-Rod is a Harley :s
But yes, people do seem to look at your bike differently depending on which model you ride. When I had my VRSCDX I got all kinds of compliments, but anyone riding a Dyna or Touring model Harley wouldn't give it a second glance. And I'm talking both hardcore "biker" types and the newer breed of H-D rider, who of course enter the showroom with the sole intent of purchasing one of the heavier models because in their eyes, those are the "real" Harleys. Enter my Street Glide two years later and these same guys are pouring over my bike like it is something unique. Go figure. My DX was a (EDIT) of a lot more unique than my SG. I think a lot of folks tend to have tunnel vision when it comes to brands and models.
That said, I rented an Ultra for a week back in the eighties and my Sporty was never the same again :( So who am I to say (lol).

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back