free website stats program How long do you keep your bike? | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

How long do you keep your bike?

I think I am too new to riding to comment, as 2 years riding and 2 years on the same bike. I do not see myself getting rid of it anytime soon, and I have to plan for 3 college tuition bills in my future, so whatever I do has to be within my strict budget guidelines. So I think the Dyna will be with me for a long time to come.

In the first 10 years I had 6 bikes. Then in 1998 bought my first heavy weight cruiser. Owned it 10 years. In 2008 purchased my 1st Electra Glide and I suspect I will own it along time as it is my all time favorite. So I believe at least 10 years. Though some day I would like to own a Ultra.

I will keep my dyna forever and just keep rebuild. Which is what i'm doing now at 70K (new pushrods, S&S 510 cams, new lifter, all new gaskets/seal for inter and outer primery). However I will be adding a new bike to the stable in the next 2 years or so.

I used to go threw bikes every 4 years or so as i worked my way up to what was most comfortable and what i really wanted.But now after 7 years i still like my bike very much.At bike rallieys i use to demo all the new harleys but now i get back on my bike and still like mine better. If im going to the store on the corner or on a 300mile ride with the wife,or if its hot summer time pull the shield off or spring fall put the shield on, i just wonder how many miles the engine will go,ihave 50,000 on it now with no problems.I guess when it wears out then i wont keep it.But i hope it never wears out

4 years ago, I learned how to ride on a 1983 Honda cm250c. Still have that one. Last summer, I purchased my first Harley, XL1200C and I can't imagine ever getting rid of it! I still like it more every time I ride it. Of course, I haven't tried anything else either.....

Spent too much money and time to get ride of mine. Plus, my wife and I have racked up thousands of happy miles with her. I can't imagine getting rid of her. Ride her till the engine wears out, rebuild, ride her some more.

I think the idea is to buy a bike pay it off and then get a second bike :D

I would have tried to kept my Wideglide if I would have liked it. I got into a new ride because I just outgrew the Dyna and wanted a touring bike and I think that is how it goes for most people, you start out on a smaller Harley and move your way up. Everybody is different though, my neighbor could probably go out and buy the entire Harley lineup 5 times over, but he is happy with with his sporty.

I had my Sportster from '90 -'07, 17 yrs.
I've had my Dyna since '93, 17 yrs.
I've had my Shovel since '99, 11 yrs.
The Electra Glide and I are still on our honeymoon 14 months.:)

I only sold the Sportster because a guy at work offered me more than it was worth.

Back