free website stats program How long do you keep your bike? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

How long do you keep your bike?

My old (2000) E/ glide is doing me good. She ain't real pretty and I think that I have turned every nut and bolt on her so I guess we are together till death do us part.
kemo

Depend on the bike.....only 1 year for my HD 1200C, new one FLSTS 1999....and more than 20 years for my Guzzi 850 Le Mans II and my MF 650

Ultra (31K+) and Dyna (18K+) are both '08's and running strong. No need to replace them. At least I haven't seen the reason yet. :D

Also have a '90 Suzuki VX800 as a bare frame and a pile of parts, so don't need another project right now. :bigsmiley20:

I'm done :)
Bought 3 bikes in a calendar year; '08 Sporty, ' 09 Fat Bob and final(?) '10 Street Glide.
BTW, I trade them in.

Kind of interesting thread here, we have this 08, and really it took us a couple of years to get it the way we wanted, and I would truly hate to see what the total investment is, but with that being said,, we love the bike, and have no desire for bigger and better,, it suits us just fine, and we'll own this girl for a very long time to come. Think about it, trade in is just on the base price, not the extra 6 to 10 grand that you stuck on it in goodies, that is a total loss unless you plan to unbolt everything,,,,,,,,,, Not Me,, We'll keep what we have. Tim

I have an 05 Road Glide and an 09 Road Glide. I'm planning on keeping them for as long as I can ride. That might not be that long since I'll be 60 this year.

Picked up the FLHT new in June 2001...66K on it and Ive got it set the way I like it, plus its showin a little character now so...no change on the horizon. A few bikes have shared the garage with it over the years but this one is stayin...

I'm very lucky to have one of each, 2000 FLHTC for cruising, 2003 FWG because it is a100th Anniversary bike and a 1997 Herritage Springer because I think it is one of the best looking bikes ever produced by the MOCO.

I do like the changes made in 2009 to the frame and suspension of the touring bikes, but the only thing I would really gain, other than a payment book, is a CD player and I can get all of the music I need from my new phone (If I ever figure out how to work it).

If I were to add a bike, it would be a Duo Glide, again because of the look of the bike, and because I am a master at adjusting mouse-traps. Had a '56 Pan for 15 years - Don't ask, I don't know why I sold it.

Started riding at age 50, 14 years ago. We needed another vehicle as my girls needed to drive to high school. Turned over my white van (affectionately known as "Moby") to them and went cycle shopping. Bike history, after I took the MSF course:

1991 Honda Nighthawk 750: Nine months and 9,000 miles. Ran great but was showing its age at 27k miles. Needed chain and sprockets, head gasket, tires, and battery. Sold at a slight loss to a mechanic at the Motorcycle Institute in Phoenix.

1989 Honda Goldwing: Two months and 3,000 miles. Great for distance but wrong for the commuting i had to do. Sold at a respectable profit to a member of the local Goldwing club. Saw it years later when I took the Wing precision riding class, looked good.

1995 Honda VT1100 Shadow: Eight years and 77,000 miles. Commuter and a long trip bike until I retired. Ate fork seals and batteries, handled well, did everything I ever asked of it and never let me down. Disliked the small tank, 3.4 gallon, liked the mileage, 48 in town, and loved the looks. Sold for most of what I paid for it to a friend, who promptly dropped it.

2005 Honda VTX1300S: Two years, two days, and 27,500 miles. Purchased after I retired and for my 60th birthday gift to myself. Great road bike, cheaply made, no personality. Sacrificed to the highway gods in what should have been a minor incident, and settled favorably with Progressive. Had no emotional ties to it and would have sold it soon anyway.

2007 Harley SuperGlide: Just under three years and 37,500 miles. No major or serious issues, just minor stuff like loose exhaust flange nuts and a lost swing arm cap. Several upgrades for comfort and utility, not wild about the silver engine paint. Love the overall appearance, and intend to keep until the mileage exeeds the sum of all the prior bikes. Only bike I've added appearance items to, with more on the horizon. Only bike with a name - wife calls her the 'HARlot".

Would only sell if the right '09 or newer Road King or a late model Heritage or Fat Boy came along and called my name. Right now she's set up just as I like for the riding I do.

Back