free website stats program Fuel Leak from fitting | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel Leak from fitting

when i got inside the tank i found that rear one does not connect to anything it is just clamped across the saddle part of the tank.. so, no extra clamping or anything, just got the old fitting off and put the new fitting up there in the tank, finger squeeze the clamp down on the hose as it lays across that high part of the tank and tighten it up.. put the tank all back together and no leaks...

Just for my own knowledge, do I understand that the second fitting does not have a similar plastic tubing up inside the tank? So it must be a return line from the injectors, right?

TQ

the second fitting (rear one) does have a tube attached, in fact the fittings are the same part number from the olathe dealer anyway that i got mine from... the tube once inside the tank did not clamp tight onto anything, it just had a little hold down type thing you press with your finger to keep the tube in one place... and yes, i believe the manual called the return line... my bike is a 01 road king and i think the rubber o-rings up in these fittings were the ones to go.. when this all started i was thinking glider was talking about the o-ring that keeps the seal between the tank and this screw in high pressure fitting, so i replaced that. he may very well have been talking about the o-ring inside this fitting... i am just not sure how to go about replacing that ... also these two high pressure fittings are just 29.00 each... then there is the plate and those 10 screws keeping the plate on the tank... the lines going from these fittings down to the injectors are the expensive guys... glad my issue was not with those.

i did not replace the plate... just that cork gasket that seals it to the tank... (twice, ha)

all in all, a very enjoyable experience for me... getting into the new bike and learning a thing or two about it. i just had purchased it labor day 08, so, have not had it very long yet. next is the oil change... got the goods already from the dealer.. but will check out the oil discussions on this forum for sure. thanks to all again.

Last edited by a moderator:
the next is the oil change... got the goods already from the dealer.. but will check out the oil discussions on this forum for sure. thanks to all again.

OK, excellent! Just FYI, check out the discussion in the help sections on oil. In a nutshell:

Engine: FULL synthetic 20W50 engine oil (NOT SYN3)
Tranny: FULL synthetic 75W90 or 75W140 (depending on ambient temps) GEAR oil at least GL-1
Primary: Fit-for-purpose lubricant like HD Formula + or Spectro Primary w/o friction modifiers

Oil Related Tips - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

I had what i figured was this same issue. I followed the instructions you fine folks put out here... thank you for those... however, after i was pretty happy i got the fitting off the bottom of the tank and got the o-ring replaced, and the whole fitting with that long snake of hose put back onto the tank, reattached the line... put my fuse back and turned the power nob to get ready to fire back up... it is spraying out of the fitting now... any other suggestions or is it time for me to take it in to the doctors office(dealership)

before i had a drip at the fitting, now a spray... :cry

Hi, having this same problem. Did you get it figured out, where did you end up finding the o-rings? We have the quick disconnect's out and are waiting for rings. Having to replace all 6 of them. 2 in each female and 1 in the male. Was this the same thing you went through? Our rings were all rotted away. Let me know. Thanks

I think he just bought and changed out the fittings themselves rather than try to rebuild them with new o-rings. He is talking about the fittings that exit the tank that have the corrugated plastic tubing attached.

TQ

I did the same I started to rebuild them and remembered how the gas felt on my legs and upper parts and decided to spend the money , nothing more uncomfortable then gas easing up your pant legs , It is also a good time to inspect your fuel pump and filter , I also replaced the screws and gasket for the fuel pump , another chance for gas to get on you ......OUCH

ok, i am sure you guys are checking this every hour to see my update.... i had great success on the part i was working on. the clamps i purchased (4 just in case) worked perfect the first time, getting the plate back on just right might have been a little tricky than i thought at first... but with that fairly thick cork type gasket i am sure i got a great seal all around, i followed the instructions and did the key to on for 5 seconds then off for 10 then same again... i siphoned some gas back out of my riding mower for the bike, rode around the block and looked it over again... the stuff i worked on is not leaking... but my other quick connect is now... so, i guess i will be doing this all again, but now i know what i am doing... i suppose i messed with the connection enough times looking at it comparing it to the other that i jacked it up... i will turn it on again and make sure it is leaking .. i reseated it after i noticed it was leaking... but pulling the fuse, cranking a little to let the pressure off.. and it seemed a tad better after that... so, i will see if it clears itself up before i tear into it all again... but this forum has been a great help to me.. thanks to everyone.
jeff

hey everyone.... I am back in the saddle again... sweet!! last night i did the other fitting, when i got inside the tank i found that rear one does not connect to anything it is just clamped across the saddle part of the tank.. so, no extra clamping or anything, just got the old fitting off and put the new fitting up there in the tank, finger squeeze the clamp down on the hose as it lays across that high part of the tank and tighten it up.. put the tank all back together and no leaks... i will ride it a few days then change the oil and hopefully will be good for the this whole season... too bad it was raining this morning or i would have rode to work.

oh, and thanks to everyone for their help. it is greatly appreciated.
the rear one is your return line and can still leak , I changed them both out

yes, i wound up replacing both fittings.... they come with the plastic tubing that goes up into the tank. I had not gotten onto this forum for a bit, sorry.

basically, once you have the tank drained and get the speedo cluster plate lifted off and are getting your bits out of the tank to get a look at everything... it all comes together, those hoses with the fittings attached are not all that much right from the harley dealer... in olathe kansas they were less than 30 bucks.... but i had to buy 2 of them, and the gasket and little screws 2 times as well.. :) good luck with it... i have not had any leaks since doing this work.

also, check my posted photos...

I was going to rebuild them and then decided to just buy new ones after reading the posts on here. Great site by the way... anyway, picked them up today along with the new gasket and screws. Problem is the o-rings that sit on top of the check valve in the "male" quick disconnect are bad also and the dealers, shops, etc. are all saying Harley doesn't sell the 0-rings seperatly. I have to buy both lines with attached male fittings and there not cheep... Any suggestions on where I can get them or what I can use for 0-rings before I go to that expense? I read somewhere that the tank drain plug ring was the same but I'm not sure if that's true. Any advise?

The #5 picture in Jnyhus2's album is the o-rings I'm looking for now so I don't have to buy both of those lines...

I think he just bought and changed out the fittings themselves rather than try to rebuild them with new o-rings. He is talking about the fittings that exit the tank that have the corrugated plastic tubing attached.

TQ

Hi, I decided to do the same, picked up the fittings today, however I need 0-rings for the male end and Harley doesn't sell them seperate. Have to buy the whole assembly. I'm trying to find a comparable o-ring to try before I go the new way. The 2 lines are $118.00 and $125.00 each. OUCH!! I would be happier if I could buy a couple rings... Any suggestions?

Back