free website stats program Fuel Leak from fitting | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel Leak from fitting

i will try again this afternoon. I hope it is just a matter of getting it seated level.. I guess i am suprised this type of fitting would give the "click" of seating... and still allow it to be un-level.. i will let you know the turnout. thanks for the answers!...

ok... i missed tquentin1's last response... so the not seated level is probably a fitting issue... i will get the parts today then... kansas has had unseasonably warm weather and i hated not being on it yesterday....

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know if parts are available or you have to replace the assembly, my guess is the assembly would need to be replaced.

are the locking balls something i can get and put in myself?
thanks,
jeff

Doubt it without special equipment to dissassemble the quick connector.

To get yourself back on the road quickly, I would bite the bullet and buy a new "through the tank" fitting, and a new hose assembly and replace what you have. Anything that turns out to be OK in what you have now, you can save as "spares" in the garage. I have boxes of old junk that I am saving in case the new stuff fails!!

Should get you back on the road only having to drain the tank one more time!

TQ

ok boys, i went and got the new fitting that goes up into the tank... it comes with that hose attached to the fitting... can either of you guys help me on where up inside the tank the other end is going to attach... and how i get to that?? do i take the speedometer off and go in that way?? or do i keep pulling the hose out till the end where it is attached comes out with it and attach it that way then push it all back in?? thanks for all the help.
Jeff

ok boys, i went and got the new fitting that goes up into the tank... it comes with that hose attached to the fitting... can either of you guys help me on where up inside the tank the other end is going to attach... and how i get to that?? do i take the speedometer off and go in that way?? or do i keep pulling the hose out till the end where it is attached comes out with it and attach it that way then push it all back in?? thanks for all the help.
Jeff

Sorry!! You have to take the plate off the top of the tank and pull the fuel pump and all that stuff out with it in order to use the new conveluted hose. But I don't think you need to do that. Just take the new hose off the fitting and save that for when your hose develops pin hole leaks in it (see the self-help section for all that nightmare!!). Just plug and secure the old hose onto the new fitting and then fasten the new fitting back to the tank.

Did you get a new hose assembly that goes from that new fitting to the injectors? This is the part that is suspect since from your picts it looked like the quick-connect fitting on the hose was not seating properly on the tank fitting.

TQ

Sorry!! You have to take the plate off the top of the tank and pull the fuel pump and all that stuff out with it in order to use the new conveluted hose. But I don't think you need to do that. Just take the new hose off the fitting and save that for when your hose develops pin hole leaks in it (see the self-help section for all that nightmare!!). Just plug and secure the old hose onto the new fitting and then fasten the new fitting back to the tank.

Did you get a new hose assembly that goes from that new fitting to the injectors? This is the part that is suspect since from your picts it looked like the quick-connect fitting on the hose was not seating properly on the tank fitting.

TQ

well, i did not get that part yet... i suppose i better go get it as that might be the easier to replace... it was 140 bucks and the quick connect part i got that mounts to the tank was only 29.. i went the cheap route... but hey like you have said more than once... get me back on the road quicker

so, this clear type hose that attaches... currently it looks like it slips over the part of the fitting that sits up in the tank... but isn't that high pressure... so do i clamp it somehow?? or just pull the old fitting off and push the new fitting back into it... this is the last of the gas in the tank as it has all drained out the holes i have been taking and putting this fitting into.. but there is enough in that hose to spray out .....

well, i did not get that part yet... i suppose i better go get it as that might be the easier to replace... it was 140 bucks and the quick connect part i got that mounts to the tank was only 29.. i went the cheap route... but hey like you have said more than once... get me back on the road quicker

so, this clear type hose that attaches... currently it looks like it slips over the part of the fitting that sits up in the tank... but isn't that high pressure... so do i clamp it somehow?? or just pull the old fitting off and push the new fitting back into it... this is the last of the gas in the tank as it has all drained out the holes i have been taking and putting this fitting into.. but there is enough in that hose to spray out .....

Look at this schematic. May not be exactly your bike, but I think these parts are similar. I believe that the plastic tubing just presses on the through the tank fitting on a barbed nipple. Don't remember there being a clamp on it. I think you can go ahead and replace the fitting you have, and then try it with your existing hose assembly to the injector. If it still leaks, then you will need a new one of those. But you do not have to drain the tank to replace that, just bleed off the pressure on the line as Glider described earlier.

2002 Harley Davidson Motorcycle Parts for FLHRSEI, OEM and Aftermarket at BikeBandit.com

Here is all the stuff inside the tank!!

2002 Harley Davidson Motorcycle Parts for FLHRSEI, OEM and Aftermarket at BikeBandit.com

TQ

Back