free website stats program Fuel Leak from fitting | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel Leak from fitting

I have the same problem and it looks like a lot of people have these fuel leaks. I reported this problem to the Consumer Products Safety Commision this morning (it was pretty easy). I think that everyone should do the same. This is a safety thing but H-D won't do anything about it until someone forces them to.

Wow, lots of talk about this little matter. I just went through it myself on 08 Fat Boy. Being kind of remote north of Saigon I only found oversize o-rings. Spent a sunday afternoon sanding them down to make one that finally fit. Thought it was holding, but overnight it started to leak again. Into the city a bike shop had some that worked. Not exact but holding.
Singapore shop only sells complete check valve with the teflon fuel line $130. Same story from HD in Texas. So got to do what I have to do. Will change out on arrival.

Anything with moving parts is going to wear, but this is a matter HD should address. Either improve it, or make these little rings available.

Bottom line, these "quick-disconnect fittings" are ridiculous & dangerous, especially on a motorcycle(right above the hot engine no less)....its not "if" they will leak, but "when"!! I've changed out the fittings/tank lines/o-rings/engine fuel lines(now braided)/etc, so I'm familar with the cheesy set-up Harley gave us. There are "multiple" things at play here, not just one o-ring. My advice to owners of older bikes(especially MM EFI bikes with 2 fuel lines), would be to replace/upgrade everything BEFORE you have a leak!! Upgrade the cheesy original rubber(external) lines with the new s/s braided ones(which also have their own o-rings in them), and if you dont want to take the tank apart, replace the the internal o-rings on the tank fittings "carefully", then lightly lube & re-connect. However, this really is the perfect time to "upgrade" the inside of the tank as well. The new tank fittings come with new internal fuel lines, so all you need is a fuel filter kit & assorted overpriced Harley hardware/gaskets, and you'll have everything new & upgraded, from tank to manifold. Oh, and one more thing, when/if you pull the hoses off the intake manifold, there are 4 more o-rings:D

From the fourth picture it shows an O-ring on the inside of the tank fitting . Did you replace it? It appears to have a flat spot or some deformation on it, or maybe it's just the photo. Like Glider said also make sure you have it sqaurely and fully engaged.

I just went through this with my 'fXDLI. I agree with TQuentin1. I first replaced the fuel line and it still leaked. Finally replaced the tank connector, which is a chore. Take off the tank bib and the cover, disconnect the fuel line from the fuel pump and remove the fitting and line. Took me about 2 hours and $100.

I have the same problem and it looks like a lot of people have these fuel leaks. I reported this problem to the Consumer Products Safety Commision this morning (it was pretty easy). I think that everyone should do the same. This is a safety thing but H-D won't do anything about it until someone forces them to.

And it will happen, H D was sued over faulty gas caps back in the early 80s, hope it does not take a bad fire again to correct a simple problem JMO

I got the new ck valve the part that screws into the bottom of the tank. What do i do with the hose on it . I had the old one out and replaced the o ring but it leaks worse now.
I think the balls are not holding it tight enough. I dont know where the hose connects, if i keep pulling will it come out far enough for me to disconnect it. I though about just trying to connect the old hose to the new valve but not suer it would work. looks like the hose is molded to the fitting,
Thanks for your help
Carl

i have a 1999 road king classic and have fuel leak at fiitting going into tank..it is not leaking at actual connection to tank..it leaks where line goes into that fitting..any help???

Will i gave up on getting o rings and bought a new check valve assembly part number 62189-01A $42.00 .This is the part with the female fitting. Took a while to get the top of the tank out to get to the hose. Mine was the one pointing to the back of the bike.
(2003 Nighttrain with one quick disconnect ) I bought miny hose clamp for fuel injection at PePBoys. Got it back together and no leaks. I think I messed up my gas gauge. I have the Scall caps with the leds now they will not light up.
Carl

Back