free website stats program Fuel Leak from fitting | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel Leak from fitting

I own a 2001 Road King Classic and the return quick disconnect, (aft) started leaking. I disconnected the external line at the disconnect and removed the o-ring and discovered it was galled up on the inside. I also discovered that this o-ring matches up exactly with the tranny and crankcase o-rings. (Harley part # 11105) It takes plenty of patience to re-install the o-ring in the housing but it will eventually seat in it's groove. Before I reconnected the return line to the quick disconnect, I inspected the outer surface of the male part of the connector and found raised metal and scratches just in front of the groove. I lightly polished the scratches and removed the raised metal with a fine Scotch Bright pad and re-connected the line. No more leaks or seeps! My lesson learned is to use great care when disconnecting and reconnecting these fittings. Push the chrome ring up as far as possible so the retention ball bearings retract fully, then gently remove the fuel line fitting. I feel strongly that the retention ball bearings will raise the burrs I discovered if care is not exercised when removing and installing the fittings.

oldav8r is my hero being able to fix his leak by swapping out his 0-ring... the rider who has the gas smell but cannot see it dripping out of these fittings mentioned in this thread has to have a different issue. I also agree this site rocks with all the info discussed and the friendly people on here. what a great time we are living in with technology like this to bring us all together. Merry Christmas to everyone on here who happens to read this. jeff

Thanks oldav8r. Your post belongs in the self help section. Could one of the moderators move his post there please? Merry Christmas everyone...

just to clarifiy, the o-rings inside those fittings are not the same as the 11105 drain plug orings, sometimes you can get them to seal but not always....they are a metric oring that you can get at Harbor Freight, we replace them every now and then at our shop, but normaly recomend replacing the whole unit just for ease purposes. so keep an eye on it if you got the 11105 to seal. the fitting on the right is just a return line, and also an easy way to tell if you have a magneti marrelli system or a delphi system (delphi only has one fuel line). anyways, hope that helps out some what.

Dear Sir,

I have the same problem on my 03' electra glide classic. There is only one fuel supply line fitting under the tank. Dose any one know the part number of this fuel supply line fitting?

Hill

Hill,
the local dealer parts counter will probably be able to sell you the hose with fitting and that gasket under the speedo... just let them know your model and such... our parts folks here in kansas are really nice i thought. they will also sell you the little screws holding the speedo plate to the tank.. they have some loctite on them i think.
good luck bud.
jeff

I had the same issue on my fathers 2003 ultra. i was able to find a few orings at the hardware store, close to same size. keep in mind, when installing fitting back together, gas is 'dry', and will likely cause the oring to bind, possible damaging it again. (did that twice!) Use some oil, ANY type on the oring before reinstalling. Not sure how long the hardware store oring will last, but, sealed up for now! working on getting a new set from Harley.

In the third pic, it doesn't appear to be seated level.

+1 I was thinking the same thing.

The plug is like an air hose fitting. When you lift the ring it allows several small steel balls to be pushed back by the insertion of the plug. When the grove of the plug is parallel with the balls and you drop the ring it pushes the steel balls into the groove.

It looks like all of the retaining balls are not in the ring grove. this will allow the plug to be cocked to the side like you see it.

Pull it back out. Make sure there is no trash in the fitting on the tank. Lift the ring hard and push the plug as deep into the tank fitting as possible, as straight as possible.

When the plug is most of the way in you can release the ring and the plug will snap in place when you have pushed it far enough in the balls and groove are aligned.

I dont have part number to look it up on zanoti can any body give me a lil help on this

Ill add a link in this post to a uk based hd dealer who has put all the parts llists from all hd models from 1999 onwards
find the right part of the parts list for your bike identify the numberd part in the picture scroll down the page and the picture number will be linked to the harley davidson part number and a uk price
Beware some parts may be hdi only (harley davidson international)

Harley-Davidson Parts

Brian

Back