free website stats program cleaning plastic windshield | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

cleaning plastic windshield

A word to the wise, and don't ask how I know because it hurts to remember, but, Lemon Pledge smells positively attractive to Africanized bees. Citrus trees are in bloom around here, and my scoot and me must have been some kind of disappontment to them, this past Sunday...

Enjoy,
Rich P

Ouch!!!

1:3 mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water in a spray bottle. Works on the windshield and fairing as well painted surfaces and chrome. Dissolves the little buggers in seconds and wipes off clean. Been using it for years and it hasn't hurt anything. Pledge works great too but it seems to attract dust when the bike sets in the garage. Of course, it's vivid black and dust always seems to show, so maybe it's just my imagination.

Great tip.

So I listed a can of "Lemon Pledge" onto the Wife's shopping list.

Windshield covered in bugs.

Can hardly wait to try it out.

I use rain-x once a month on the outside of my windshield ,coat it twice,let it dry,rub it off. Not only does the rain bead away but when I fill up I use the gas station squeegy to wipe nmy windshield and it doesn't scratch. In the fall I use fog-x inside the windsheild and it keeps the negative pressure from fogging it up

Many posts on gas station buckets ruining windshields, I would avoid using anything "mixed" in the bucket. I have had Harley windshields only,over the years. I have used only a wet chamois to wipe off bugs and Protect-All spray to coat/clean it when done. Protect-All is a product that I have used for years on all surfaces. It is a muti purpose conditioner, wax, UV protector etc. It is avail in aerosol or squirt bottle on line, at some dealers, and Walmart RV dept. Never use anything with amonia in it. I have cleaned with GlassPlus in a pinch. :newsmile016:

I recently found out about using Hydrogen Peroxide to clean off dried bugs. tried it for the heck of it... and wow.

This would be the stuff you buy at the drug store in the dark brown plastic bottle. Just spill some on a micro-fiber cloth, wipe it on the windshield area, and the bugs come off INSTANTLY. Also works great on the chrome backsides of mirrors, etc. Cheap too. I'm looking for a pump spray top that will fit on the brown bottle now. Apparently, the dark bottle keeps it from breaking down due to light. Same as with some beer brands. The "theory" is that the Hydrogen Peroxide attacks and breaks down proteins, which is why the bug residue comes off so quickly. Not 100% sure about the "theory", but it does work.

Then, I use Pledge. Have used Pledge (or Behold) for many years on bike windshields, Keeps 'em like brand new. I always keep a can of Pledge and a clean Micro-Fiber rag in the saddlebag.

Bob

I have tried the drier sheets.They work well and don't scratch.Really great on the car for bug removal. I found Ace -it at Biketoberfest and found it amazing for making bugs easy to remove from windshield or paint. It is very slippery and leaves a magnificent wet look shine.

Oddly - or maybe not - if you "google" "Pledge" there are a ton of articles and sites talking about how the "new" Pledge is terrible compared to the "old" Pledge. Apparently smearing or something. (Could be Cyber-Nuts too!:bigsmiley22:)

Note to the wise: be sure it is plain ol' Pledge, and not "Cleaning" or "Furniture Moisturizing" Pledge. I think this may be where the confusion starts.

Just an FYI. I personally have not seen any difference whatsoever, but that's just me. FWIW, there are a ton of similar spray wax products - Behold for one. So if for whatever reason you find the "new" Pledge not on par with the old... there are alternatives.

Bob

I called customer care at Pledge Right after the hoop-law...

The changed out the propellant to Nitrogen (going GREEN I was told)

That DID change the products ability to do its normal OLD job..Smears and does not clean OFF as it used to..........

It needs the Old Unfriendly PETROLEUM gas..

I say this to PLEDGE:lero

signed....BUBBIE

Back