free website stats program BUBBIE'S OIL PUMP Problem.... | Page 8 | Harley Davidson Forums

BUBBIE'S OIL PUMP Problem....

Re: BUBBIE'S Cam-plate update, a must read.

My bike was doing exactly that a couple of days ago Bubbie. After shutoff for a few minuets and back on the road again the oil pressure was only 25 lbs. Watching it closely it went up to 35 lbs after a couple of miles. Did it several times on a 100 mile run. I'll be reading what happens to your bike after you get the new cam plate in to see if that fixes the it. Then I'll have to decide whether to put in a new cam plate or remove the oil pressure gauge. :s

Then I'll have to decide whether to put in a new cam plate or remove the oil pressure gauge. :s

Now there's a thought.... :bigsmiley11:

Last edited by a moderator:

The New cam plat arrived saturday Late in the day..... Why am I their Last stop :laugh

I tore right into it, removing the "nuts and bolts". They Knew what I was up to again,,, Not fighting me this time as they gave up slowly on the Last go-around..

This time It was a little more work, as the pushrods(se slender tapers) and Cams Had to totally come out..

All went as Planned and today We took out the King for a test run.. Worked and ran perfectly....

Oil pressure stayed about 40 lbs (more than before with the old cam plate) for most of the ride to ocean shores..

72* and warm for us here in w. Wa.

The test was after the first stop for nibbles and Petrol (for fin and the UK members:D)

Got back on bike and started,,,, and WHAM, instant start and oil pressure up to 40... Nice feeling to have Oil pressure after a Hot start, and IN the proper Expected amounts.

I noticed that the oil pressure was quite different (in a good way) with the new cam plate.. Higher in all riding conditions. never stayed on 40# before.. and Yes it is a New cam plate and May have the PRvalve spring tension a little higher for some reason..

Idle at normal stops and goes, not in traffic, showed right at 22 lbs... Until HOT running in traffic and then a GOOD 12# and Never lower..

Coming back thru a heavy traffic area of stop and wait , then go and stop and wait your turn,,, The parade mode came on and I was very careful to watch the oil gauge today... Never Fell below 12 lbs using the parade mode....

I think that the "A" following the HD part number means Change and I do think the machining of the PRvalve Bore is looking More like Glass then the original flat grey look the stock one i took off has.. That MAY be One good difference...
Also the new one has No bronze bushing in the crank hole... Now just using the Parent material like in the cam journals..

My bike has just turned 24,000 miles 10,000 on the new SE 255 cams. Looking at the old cam plate and the alum bearing surfaces and Feeling the Nice tight fit of the cams there , shows me No problem with the TOUGH alloy they used here.. No wear at all there.

Comments from other builders and i, when discussing the stock cam plate compared to the SE cam plate:

The Stock cam plate IS better then the SE offered by HD as the materials in the stock cam plate are by far HARDER than the softer Billet built SE cam plates. Using softer aluminum with a surface harding process that wears off soon where the oil pump gerotors rub the SE cam plate and where the cams ride in the journals..
Thinking also that on the new Stock one, it doesn't have the bronze bushing at the crank hole and is just as well... IF wear shows there over time and fixing is needed it is Not worth re-placing the bronze bushing and boring it out to specks as a new cam plate is so inexpensive, replace it instead of repairing it..

M&M Cycle sold cam plate 10$ less than HD sells it for.. HD wants 77$ plus tax...

Thanks to Mark at M&M for the cam plat and I WILL do more business with him..

I bought a set of SE255 cams and SE slender taper pushrods from M&M a while back and will order another set soon for a friend in Az.

M&M Cycle has Much better prices than HD offered.:newsmile093:

PLUS M&M Cycle is a family worked business..... Let's hear it for the "Little People":newsmile075:

glider was the first one to turn me on to M&M Cycle, the mom and pop place.:D

signed....BUBBIE

Great news, I love a happy ending. Way to hang in there. :D

Good to hear you are back in business again Bubster. Mark is a great guy to do business with for sure.

I know how much the oil pressure fluctuations were bothering you Bubbie. You did a GREAT job diagnosing and isolating the problem. You made the best choice of taking it into your own hands rather than the warranty route, which probably would have had you laid up for months, with no ultimate fix.
A GIANT porkchop to you! :bigsmiley11:

Good for you BUBBIE!! I admire your determination to work through the intermittent problem and diagnose the problem. I'm sure it was frustrating to say the least. If you would have given up and taken it to a dealer you probably wouldn't be up and running yet and your wallet would be a lot lighter. Now you can relax while you're riding knowing it was fixed right. Job well done. :worthy

Bubbie,

Excellent info., and very glad to hear you got your problem resolved.

As a note to all, remember that we don't want our idle oil pressure too high. The check valves on the piston sprayers operate at 8-12psi. So if hot idle oil pressure is above 12, then the sprayers are not cutting off. This should be a consideration when thinking about installing the Baisley spring. If idle oil pressure is already in the 7-10 range, might not want to raise it. Remember, the new pump and plate are designed for increased FLOW.

TQ

Thanks for the update Sir Bubbie. Glad you got it all straightened out. Very detailed and descriptive evaluation of your solution that should help forum members in the future.

Thanks for the translation or i widna have kent fit ye were havering aboot

Brian

Back