free website stats program BUBBIE'S OIL PUMP Problem.... | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

BUBBIE'S OIL PUMP Problem....

How does the system keep the pump primed, or prime it when it has dried? It seems to me that once pressure has been obtained, there should be oil held above the pump, in the lines to and from the filter. Is it possible, that normally, this oil can't drain past/through the pump when working right, but can drain past/through the pump if hot and there is a problem? If so, maybe the pump is not seated right or has developed such a problem. Is there a way to see what is accumulating in the sump, before starting? Even so, I have never had a problem getting oil pressure after a full drain-out, so how does the pump get primed in the case of initially dry?

I'm just thinking...

Enjoy,
Rich P

Bubbie, I've been thinking and checking in the shop manual about your problem. These things were mentioned in my manual... about low oil pressure
-Faulty low oil pressure switch
- Oil pump o-ring damaged or missing
- Bypass valve stuck in the open position
- Ball missing or leaking in cam support plate
- Worn oil pump gerotor(s)
- Restricted feed hose from oil tank
- Oil diluted with gasoline

Harry B

Bubbie, I've been thinking and checking in the shop manual about your problem. These things were mentioned in my manual... about low oil pressure

- Bypass valve stuck in the open position (working as I could see it move down to relieve the over pressure)

- Ball missing or leaking in cam support plate

Harry B

Harry B,

This is what it could be out of the ones you mentioned..

The balls were all there but Not sure IF loose and allowing air to drain back oil when shut off hot.. Started 3 times today Cold, and oil up to 45/50 lbs and I could see the pressure relief valve working to lower the pressure..

I'll probably at least replace the cam plate next tear down..:newsmile093: 78$ cheaper than my labor if I got to charge me.

Thanks

signed....BUBBIE

How does the system keep the pump primed, or prime it when it has dried? It seems to me that once pressure has been obtained, there should be oil held above the pump, in the lines to and from the filter. Is it possible, that normally, this oil can't drain past/through the pump when working right, but can drain past/through the pump if hot and there is a problem? If so, maybe the pump is not seated right or has developed such a problem. Is there a way to see what is accumulating in the sump, before starting? Even so, I have never had a problem getting oil pressure after a full drain-out, so how does the pump get primed in the case of initially dry?

I'm just thinking...

Enjoy,
Rich P

Yes, I had the cam plate off AFTER no oil pressure and it had about Normal amount 1/4 inch in the bottom...shows that the sump side is working ok....
Looked to be a lack of Normal oil in the bottom???

BUT Again after started with oil pressure up,,, the sump pull Most of the oil out to within a 1/4 - 3/8 of an inch when shut off and Hand Held Cover plate taken off to look..
That is where I am on this... Frustrating

Stumping a lot of mechanics. I have thoughts of a Loose ball allowing air into the system and Hot Oil bleeding Back thru the Entry galley, Siphoned out of the cam plate and oil pump..
The oil tank is lower than all.. Only seems to happen AFTER a shut off Hot and in just a few minutes time 5 minutes the shortest stop and No Oil pressure at start-up..

3 or 4 start ups can usually get the pressure back up... I have tried to raise the idle but Not liking the "0" oil pressure while Raised Idle speed..

Go figure??

signed....BUBBIE

Hey Bubbie I feel for you bro, I've been their once or twice, what I always do is keep telling myself it's just a machine and it CAN be fixed! Sounds like you've been checking all the right stuff, my best guess and I do mean guess is something in the cam plate, hairline crack, plunger sticking or something in one of the passages allowing air into the system. If you get a chance in the morning give me a call at my shop, I'll be there 10-2 for sure maybe we can do a little head banging and throw a few thoughts around. Keep the faith, your a good wrench.

BUBBIE'S Cam-plate update, a must read.

Just got off the phone with MM cycle, the Mom and Pop place to buy your parts....(good prices and family owned)

Mark the owner called me today to say that the NEW cam-plates from HD are on Back Order for another 10 days...

His thinking is They have changed something in that part as the number shows a different ? number or lettering so it doesn't get confused with the OLD part..

(?new updated product by the part number change)

Maybe MY oil issue isn't the only bike with a problem? My and Choppers thinking it is a Cam-Plate issue that is allowing Air into the cam-plate causing a Syphon of my oil OUT of the system, back into the oil tank after shut off when the bike is Hot.

HD is manufacturing a CHANGE in the stock cam-plate???

Mark said the part number ID'd differently than the OLD Number, to him this means that the NEW plate Has something Different or Changed from the stock one to justify CHANGE in the number/letter... But What Change???

Anybody Know or can find out Please post it here..

I can't find an "Old" numbered Cam-plate anyplace i have called here in Wa...

Is there another HD cover-up in progress???:laugh no not HD, that never happens.

thanks for any feed back....

signed....BUBBIE

Re: BUBBIE'S Cam-plate update, a must read.

A different part number could be a different source for the plate too.

Is there another HD cover-up in progress??? no not HD, that never happens.

We all know that Harley wouldn't do anything sneaky. They are a reputable company.
Ken

One thing I just found out is the problems with the anodized finish and the piston to cam-plate sticking (not nicely finished inside the cam-plate) might of lead to a Fix and also a different Manufacturer..

Good News then...

waiting for the new part.

signed....BUBBIE

Back