free website stats program Broken body and bike | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Broken body and bike

Glad to hear you are getting better. A very good friend of mine had a bad accident almost a year ago and is slowly getting back on his bike. He is doing it right, not rushing or letting peer pressure speed things up. He's been riding for a very long time so it's in his blood, just taking the time he needs.
He was in ICU for 3 weeks, freak accident. Layed his bike down on expressway, doesn't remember what happened. Witness didn't see him hit anything or anyone hit him.
So take your time you'll know when you are ready.
Take care and God Bless!

Dont rush your recovery. I wrecked my quad in december on a deer hunt. broke four ribs, collapsed lung, and broken collar bone. went to work on light duty two weeks later and hurt the ribs again. not worth the pain. even 3 months later certain things aggrevate it. just take your time and be glad you are alive. hope you heal well friend.

Gods speed on your total recovery, you will re live this many times like watching a train wreck in slow motion, IMO it is the brains safety valve, you will know when it is time to get back on that horse, and I am sure you will

Gator...don't beat yourself up. Save your energy for a full and speedy recovery. Then work on PT to slowly get your strength up. Hardware is fairly easy to replace, the human body is not as resilient...take care!:s

Hi All,

I feel very lucky to be able to write this. Bad accident Wed March 2 turning right at a traffic light controlled intersection, car in parking lot pulled across the turn lane as I was turning, slam, no time to put her down, hit at about 20mph, bounced off the car and into the street. Never lost conciousness, 7 fractured ribs, fractured sternum, punctured lung. 5 days in ICU, was released this past Wed. Intial bike estimate $5500, driver is insured but contacted my attorney in case things don't work out. Had on my leathers and helmet, probably what helped save my life.
This is a difficult write because I keep reliving the accident in my mind and wondering if I should have done something differently, oh, the driver told the police "I saw him but thought I could make it"
I will welcome any feedback that will help me deal with "getting back in the saddle" Thanks All

gator
Don't talk to anyone about the accident except for your lawyer (wife and mother excluded but still to a reasonable extent). The driver is trying to establish the fact that you were at fault partially and this can complicate the heck out of things. Glad you are OK. Don't beat yourself up about what you could have done. You had a helmet and leathers on and were obeying the law to your full capacity.
If this guy pushes the issue that "you were trying to make it" sue him and if you have a moral objection to that, donate the proceeds to a worthy cause and wash your hands of the guilt. This guy and everyone needs to be aware that there are penalties for negligence.
Again, glad your OK. Hope you heal quickly and completely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning All,

Thank you all for the get well wishes and advice on getting back in the saddle. I'm sure I will ride again, soon as the scoot is fixed. MBHD has estimated 10 wks or so, so I will have a lot of healing time. My wife and I are heading to MBHD today to check out my scoot, I have not seen it yet since the crash so this will be an eye opener I'm sure.

Joe, Mancie's sounds like a plan, love to go but I'm buying, will have a lot to celebrate, thank you my friend, I'll send you a pm when the time comes.

Again, everybody thanks for all the kind words and advice, hope to spend a lot more time with my extended family here at HDtalking

gator

Ultragood - I think the quote he made was that the driver said he (the driver of the car) thought he (the driver of the car) could "make it". I took it as driver admitting fault.

Gator - I would think that your bike fixed or replaced, all your medical bills, travel to/from medical visits, time off work, time off enjoying your free time, time not able to sleep due to pain... don't for a minute feel bad about sicking your law dog on the drivers insurance. Its what its there for, it's how the world works.

About 6 years ago I loaned one of my cars to my son. He had an at-fault collision where the other driver was hurt. She spent a day in the hospital and a couple weeks on pain meds. About 6 months later I got a letter from a lawyer suing for 1 Million. Insurance settled with them for my max. $250k. I signed an exclusion note on my insurance that the boy would not drive my cars... insurance didn't go up. Kid got his own car and own insurance. All good on my end and she got a nice retirement nest egg.

Gator,
I am glad you are posting and with a good attitude. Take the time to get your body back in shape, the bike will be there when and if. We definitely come out second best in altercations with cages. My best wishes to you for a speedy recovery.
Ishmael

Back