free website stats program Broken body and bike | Harley Davidson Forums

Broken body and bike

gator508

Experienced Member
Hi All,

I feel very lucky to be able to write this. Bad accident Wed March 2 turning right at a traffic light controlled intersection, car in parking lot pulled across the turn lane as I was turning, slam, no time to put her down, hit at about 20mph, bounced off the car and into the street. Never lost conciousness, 7 fractured ribs, fractured sternum, punctured lung. 5 days in ICU, was released this past Wed. Intial bike estimate $5500, driver is insured but contacted my attorney in case things don't work out. Had on my leathers and helmet, probably what helped save my life.
This is a difficult write because I keep reliving the accident in my mind and wondering if I should have done something differently, oh, the driver told the police "I saw him but thought I could make it"
I will welcome any feedback that will help me deal with "getting back in the saddle" Thanks All

gator

Glad you are alive and well enough to talk about it. I've only been down a few times in 42 years but without serious injuries and would attribute it to divine providence rather than any skills on my part. I am constantly looking for potential problems and have made riding safe part of what I enjoy about riding. I didn't start out that way. I hope you heal real soon - Bob

Only advice I would give is....if you're scared, stay off the bike, you'll be a danger to yourself and everyone else on the road. You can't ride safe if you're all tensed up, you'll over react. Alot of people quit riding after going down, it's up to you and we shouldn't try to coax you back. If you wanna come back, do it at your pace when you're comfortable.

Glad it didn't turn out any worse.

Take your time getting back on the bike. Absolutely no hurry. Only you will know when the time is right.

Glad to see you can post as well Gator.
Got T-Boned at an intersection 18 years ago. Other driver took off so I chased him down the street so he jumped the curb (This was in downtown Charleston SC on my KZ 900). I was trying to take off my helmet to throw it through his back window. Go back to my bike and shut it off and somebody brings me his liscense plate. Wrong plate. Not same car.
Anyway, I got hit at much lower speed and didn't have the injuries you did, but I still give a pause before I take off at a green light.
I did put on a loud air horn to make sure to be heard.
Never thought about hanging up the bike keys. Maybe take the time to heal and think about if you can live without riding. I don't think I would be as happy if I didn't ride.
Get well and heal.
John

Really glad you're o.k. and can live to tell about it. I agree with BobFLHTC. I have also had my fair share of close calls and thank the good lord for looking out after me. When somebody suddenly pulls out in front of us unexpectedly there really isn't too much that we can do to prevent it so don't be too hard on yourself as to how you could have done something different. Although 20 mph is still pretty fast when it comes to a crash it was probably that speed that prevented you from getting hurt further.
Heal well and when you are ready to hit the road ride as you always have, with the knowing that at any time in any situation some unforeseen consequence can befall us. It is in the back of the minds of all of us. I just try not too think about it.

Sorry about the accident and glad your on the mend. As to getting back on the bike, you might try taking a safety course just to get the feel of being back on two wheels. If you have already taken a course it will also refresh you on avoidence tactics. You will know if and when you want to go out in traffic again.

It is completely normal to keep reliving the event, that is how we are wired to learn. Rest up and heal. Don't rush the ribs, they will take quite some time. I hope you don't have any sneezing fits, they can make cracked ribs "interesting".

I would concur that only you will know if you are ready to ride again. Although I will say that I vividly remember the first time I began riding on the highway. I was tense and jumpy. I would be exhausted when I would come back from an early Sunday morning ride on the highway to minimize traffic. I felt like no one could see me and everyone would turn into me. I actually seriously thought that maybe riding was not for me. But, I got over my fears and began to relax and adapt. Now I am addicted to riding.

This event may have taught you to be an even better, more alert rider. I think all riders have had a "panic attack" when they were just learning to ride. We then learn to turn off the panic and replace it with a reaction that gives us the highest margin of safety.

Gator; Here's wishing you a speedy recovery. Replaying the accident and reflection about riding again is normal. You will go back and forth, but the decision will come.

Good Lord! I am sorry to hear that. Glad to hear you are on the mend. Rest, heal, and when you are ready I'll buy you some lunch at Manci's....Deal??

Back