free website stats program Broken body and bike | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Broken body and bike

Gator, sorry to hear of your misfortune. Hope you able to make a full recovery.
The only advice from me is to ride as if you are invisible at all times and take the necessary precaution to have a way out if your space is invaded. Never second guess yourself for if you have a concern about a situation more than likely your concern will be validated and the event will happen. So always go with your instinct and do not trust that the other vehicle will make the right decision.
Best of luck to you and thanks for sharing your story.

Sorry to hear about your accident Gator and hope the ribs heal real quickly. You'll know when it's time to get back on and ride and when you do I think you'll start slowly and will be overly cautious but that's OK. In time you'll be comfortable again. I have never understood why people quit riding after an accident on a bike and their friends try to talk them into quitting. Nobody quits driving a cage after an accident and their friends don't try to talk them into quitting driving, do they? What's different about a bike? I can't think of a way I would rather go than on my bike, better than dying of a heart attack at work isn't it? I'm not a religious man but I DO believe when your number is called, it's time and nothing will change that. Your number wasn't called.

Sorry to hear of your accident Gator,old hat I know,I've had 2 of those myself, I can realy sympathise with you.Fixed my bike up after,and had it stolen before I could get back on!! Talk about adding insult to injury!!Anyways,as one of your comedians catch phrase was"learning all za time"and its proven true time and again.Like been said already,expect the unexpected you'll be ok.Done waffling,best wishes for a speedy recovery,and equally speedy return to the road.Take care Jon

All this talk about ribs is making me hungry. Really, so glad to hear that you will heal up, alive is way better than dead. I can't believe all that was from a 20mph impact, it really makes you think. Who ever takes me off my bike better hope I can't get up.

So sorry to hear of your crash. We all wish you a speedy recovery. I'd bet you find, after thinking about it, you did nothing wrong. It sound like just one of those lousy situations where there was zero time to alter anything. Get back to riding only when you are really ready to do so. I believe I would spend a lot of time in parking lots to gain back confidence...then on quiet roads until I felt back to normal. There's a fine line between driving as if everyone is out to get you and that 'sense' of being wary of everyone around you and driving with that anticipation that someone is going to make a bad mistake. The first is paranoid to the point of not driving all that well and the second is just prudent.
My best to you.

I had a bad accident many years ago i dont remember anything about it had 2 months in hospital on traction the 2 months on crutches the 2 months on walking sticks took another couple of months after that to be able to walk and run without real effort
then i bought another bike and carried on being me
get well soon

Brian

Gator, glad you are still with us to post. I wish you the best on the recovery and any decisions you make as to whether or not to continue riding. I wouldn't be too hasty on that choice, but I would definitely wait until the ribs heal up before getting back on a bike. :s Best of luck my friend.

Same here, glad you are well enough to now write about it. Take your time and do what seems right. Praying for a quick recovery for you. Sounds like it was the driver just trying to rush things.

Gator, very glad to hear you are on the mend and made it through this. I know first hand what you are going through as I am now 8 months into my recovery from a similar accident. Lady ran a red light and like you, had no chance to lay it down so she just slammed right into us (my girlfriend was passenger). We flew about 50 feet from what the police report says. My girlfriend was scraped up pretty bad on her legs and damaged shoulder, I suffered (and continue to) from a shattered leg, that's SHATTERED, not broken. The lower part of my leg (below knee) is in about 15 peices. 2 surgeries later, i'm hoping to start walking again in a couple weeks! And as soon as I have that down, I'll be right back on my Deluxe! It's completely normal to run through the accident at times. The way I look at it is, I did everything right in this case, and the chances of me being hit again are no greater than they were before my accident. the chances remain the same so the only thing for me that has changed is that "it" (being hit) has actually happened. We all get on our bike knowing that "it" could happen and we have to be willing to accept the consequences of that, be it broken bones or much worse. For me when I can no longer accept those consequences, that's when I stop riding. Yes, we are lucky to be alive but in my opinion riding is also what makes us FEEL alive. All you can do now is heal up and do what's right for you when the time comes. Good luck.

Back