free website stats program andrews 26 cam in 95 build | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

andrews 26 cam in 95 build

FK is still pondering head work and compression releases have been suggested. Since he is boring cylinders and fitting new pistons, a leak down test would be a waste of time.:s

I'm not talking porting & polishing, I was talking about a valve job.
A leak down test tells more than blow by...does it not?

I have heads that have 6000 km on them off an 06 along with the jugs, crank and pistons for an 88. I got the cp pistons on line at a buy and sell $200 for both never instaled . Om going to use the same push rods that are stock . I'm taking the top off so untill I need to open the cam case again when ill cut them out and go with adjustables . At least that's what I was thinking .
Mabyb in the future ill go with a head job . But $$$$ if you know what I meen
F.K.
WAP.gif

Ill have the old heads off the old one. Then I can get the heads done at my leisure lol I picked up the old parts for $400
WAP.gif

Dolt , that's good news on the gaskets . I called them and found a dealer here in Ont . And a machinest that is going to do the bores and shave the pistons.
I called CP and they arr emailing me the amount I have to take off the pistons . To get them down to 6 cc from 9 cc . Wieght as well as how much to shave off .
Ill keep you updated .
Thanks guys . This realy is helping me through what would of been , some expencive trial and arror
FK
WAP.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not talking porting & polishing, I was talking about a valve job. A leak down test tells more than blow by...does it not?

First, I have assumed that with 50K miles on the heads, FK is, at a minimum, planning to have the heads cleaned up, valve job and new guide seals as well as boring and fitting new pistons for which reason I discounted the need for a leak down test. But I see that FK has a set of '06 heads with 6K miles so looks like he is going in that direction and whether or not a leak down test is required is a moot point.

To your question though. Yes, a leak down test will reveal the leak paths from the top end. But I suspect that if a leak down test was down on a motor with 50K miles, the path of least resistance would be by the rings and not past a valve.

I have heads that have 6000 km on them off an 06 along with the jugs, crank and pistons for an 88. I got the cp pistons on line at a buy and sell $200 for both never instaled . Om going to use the same push rods that are stock . I'm taking the top off so untill I need to open the cam case again when ill cut them out and go with adjustables . At least that's what I was thinking .
F.K.
WAP.gif

ok. didn't know you had all those parts. sounds like some good deals :a

be careful with p/r's. I think the stock cam lift is .473 and the 37's are .510.
also gasket thickness plays into the dimensional stack up.

Hey Stray Dog they say the are bolt in no need for springs at this time. But when I get the older heads done I'll put in .550 springs .
FK
WAP.gif

I was going to use cenetic or as Dolt recomended Cyco gaskets . I'm going .030 head gasket
WAP.gif

F.K.
WAP.gif

If you have a set of '06 heads, they flow much better than the early heads but I would have them cleaned up, guide seals replaced and a SERDI (multi angle" valve job done. Those are good heads and will flow almost as well as a set of BigBoyz street ported heads but you really should have some work done on them as referenced above.

If the only change in valve train stack up height is the .040" head gasket, the stock pushrods should be OK; you are setting a bit more preload on the lifter but that is fine and should make for a more quiet valve train. IIRC, the base circle for the 37 cams is the same as stock, so no issues there. Cams with higher lift have smaller base circles and stock pushrods cannot be used but IIRC, not the case with the 37 cams. Pushrods are intake and exhaust, don't mix them up. Sounds like you are getting the parts together at a reasonable cost.:s

Last year I helped a friend build a 95" with 37 cams and a set of '06 heads worked as I described above; no porting. We set static at 9.8 and with a set of Rinehart Crossbacks, that motor rolled off 102TQ/96HP. :s

Hey Stray Dog they say the are bolt in no need for springs at this time. But when I get the older heads done I'll put in .550 springs .
FK

'06 heads have the beehive springs and will accommodate lifts up to .600" with no issues. You should be using the '06 heads per my previous post. If/when you get the older heads worked, don't settle for .550" springs; use the later OEM beehives springs that will accommodate .600" lift and don't have such high seat pressures.

FK
WAP.gif

I wasn't referring to the springs, I was concerned with the push rod length in respects to the lift of dif cams. You are correct "bolt in cams" in respect to valve springs.

Dolt has you covered in the last post regarding the p/r length.

If you have a set of '06 heads, they flow much better than the early heads but I would have them cleaned up, guide seals replaced and a SERDI (multi angle" valve job done. Those are good heads and will flow almost as well as a set of BigBoyz street ported heads but you really should have some work done on them as referenced above.

If the only change in valve train stack up height is the .040" head gasket, the stock pushrods should be OK; you are setting a bit more preload on the lifter but that is fine and should make for a more quiet valve train. IIRC, the base circle for the 37 cams is the same as stock, so no issues there. Cams with higher lift have smaller base circles and stock pushrods cannot be used but IIRC, not the case with the 37 cams. Pushrods are intake and exhaust, don't mix them up. Sounds like you are getting the parts together at a reasonable cost.:s

Last year I helped a friend build a 95" with 37 cams and a set of '06 heads worked as I described above; no porting. We set static at 9.8 and with a set of Rinehart Crossbacks, that m? otor rolled off 102TQ/96HP. :s[/QUOTE
Wow . With the extra compresion will mine get close . To that . ?
WAP.gif

So I shouldn't use an 0.030 head gasket
F.k.
WAP.gif

Dolt what am I looking at for head work ?? $$
WAP.gif

So I shouldn't use an 0.030 head gasket
F.k.
WAP.gif

.040 should be OK for your squish and compression ratio, keep in mind different thicknesses add or subtract to compression and stacked height

A squish band is where a piston and head surface come in close proximity of each other at TDC. There are several types of squish bands. Some heads have an angled surface machined or cast into the inside perimeter of the head gasket surface. The piston has a matching area. In the case of a stock twin cam, the head has a bathtub shaped combustion chamber. The flat sides of the chamber extending from the head gasket surface make up the squish area. As the piston (flat top for a stock twin cam) reaches TDC, the AF mixture that was in this area gets forced out. The amount of squish effects how violently it is forced out of that area. When it is forced out of the squish area and into the combustion chamber the AF mixture creates turbulence in the combustion chamber and helps promote a more complete and quicker burn as well as reduce chances for detonation. The squish is determined by 2 things in a stock twin cam configuration, the deck height and the head gasket thickness. For example, if the stock deck height is .010" down in the hole then the piston is .010" below the head gasket surface of the cylinder. If the head gasket is stock it measures about .045". Add those 2 numbers together and you have your squish, in this case .055". Now if the deck height is set so the piston is .005" down in the hole and a .030" head gasket it used, the squish is now .035", a more desirable number. This is what dolt is talking about, I hope it helps you

Back