free website stats program andrews 26 cam in 95 build | Page 16 | Harley Davidson Forums

andrews 26 cam in 95 build

Brother Jack, Brother Jack,

If you are indicating your pinion shaft and you are at .006 Total Indicator Reading you then divide by 2 to get .003 run out per side from the axis.

BUT nobody is asking for run out.

Bottom line is if they are asking for T.I.R dimension you don't divide it by two,
TIR is TIR.

The conversation was about measuring back lash in the gears. Keeping the pinion gear stationary, put a indicator on a tooth of the cam gear, rotate the cam gear and the reading on the indicator is the back lash. Again, no dividing.

Don't want to get into a spitting match here, but facts be facts :s
I tend to get a bit TOO techy at times sorry about the confusion, I do know both ways but cannot explain it

Check runout like this. Zero the dial, rotate crank and TIR is the sum of the variance either side of zero. IAW, rotate crank 360* and if the dial moves .015" past zero one way and .015" the other, TIR is .003", comprende?

Check runout like this. Zero the dial, rotate crank and TIR is the sum of the variance either side of zero. IAW, rotate crank 360* and if the dial moves .015" past zero one way and .015" the other, TIR is .003", comprende?

Well done dolt thanks for posting that visual some times my words dont do justice:bigsmiley21:

Yep comprende lol . It only went
.003 one way the rest of the time it was zeroed or building up to .003.

F.k.
I get the back lash I will try both ways with the plasa gage and thr dial indicator .

Yep comprende lol . It only went
.003 one way the rest of the time it was zeroed or building up to .003.

F.k.
I get the back lash I will try both ways with the plasa gage and thr dial indicator .

OK, TIR is .003"; good to go for gear drive setup.:s

I see a lot of quick push rods out there come without covers . Dose this meen you can use the OEM ones that came with the bike ?

Thanks F.K.

Back