free website stats program Air cleaners | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Air cleaners

[QUOTE="Jack Klarich]Dolt, my brother Jeff and myself have chosen ways around it Boodeen too Are we breaking the law sure are we going to get caught I doubt it I for 1 will take my chances plus IMO HD cannot void a warranty because the oily mess is not getting burned in the engine JMHO

Where is this coming from? Sounds like you are taking issue with something I have posted on this subject. I have never made any negative comments regarding external venting; have been re-routing breathers forever. :confused:[/QUOTE]

Read it again, he was adding you to the list of members who vent. He should've added a kama after he named me.

In Pa. part of the emission test for autos and trucks which are the only vehicles at this point in time consists of 3 things. OBD scan to make sure vehicle is test ready and passes. Older vehicle exhaust sniffer. And last but not least is a visual inspection which if not as produced at factory can and will fail emission test. So again time will tell when motorcycles will fall into line.

Motorcycles are exempt from testing here in Colorado, If and when they ever include them i'm not worried about it.
The inspector would have to know his way around a Harley to even know it's been altered,

Here in Uk motorcycles are not subject to emission testing although almost every other vehicle is
My 92 softail has the breather in the crank case I put a wee chrome filter on the end of the tube after I cut it sporty and dyna both head breathers have by pass kits both have se air cleaner kits fitted the dyna has the mikuni bypass kit that came with the mikuni air cleaner fitted to the softail as the softail didn't need it and it was laying around the shed when I fitted the mikuni to the dyna it was shiny so I used it and as the mikuni carb I bought for the dyna was used and had previously been fitted to a sportster the bypass kit that came with the carb went on to the sportster I have been known to fiddle about with stuff to make best use of what I have but it does all work well

Brian

[QUOTE="Jack Klarich]Dolt, my brother Jeff and myself have chosen ways around it Boodeen too Are we breaking the law sure are we going to get caught I doubt it I for 1 will take my chances plus IMO HD cannot void a warranty because the oily mess is not getting burned in the engine JMHO

Where is this coming from? Sounds like you are taking issue with something I have posted on this subject. I have never made any negative comments regarding external venting; have been re-routing breathers forever. :confused:[/QUOTE]
My bad, I did not put comas in, I was referencing your posts on venting the same train of thought as Jeff and myself as well as you

As this discussion is evolving with this thread, any opinions as to why Harley is dabbling in bigger displacement engines with all the different choices from the 96" and up. Might they be playing with bigger bore EPA compliant engines so that the consumer has options instead of just stock and a CVO bike????

That is correct and that burn off will leave a carbon residue on top of the pistons which, over a few thousand miles can become an issue. See the attached photos; two sets of pistons showing how quickly carbon can build up when breathers are vented into the intake (directly into to the combustion chamber, not passing through the air filter) and how clean pistons can look after many miles when breathers are vented to the atmosphere. If the photos don't convince you to vent to the atmosphere, nothing will......:confused:View attachment 17167 View attachment 17168

Another way to vent, without a hose from a T is also illustrated; used this method on my Deuce.View attachment 17169
dolt Thanks for posting those, I do believe I will make a change to outside venting. It looks like the simplest way is to attach hoses to each breather bolt then into a tee and then down below the frame.

Here is my breather filter
Breather%20Filter.jpeg
Thanks Jack, for posting. What type of hose are you using from the breather bolts, looks like a gas line?

Last edited by a moderator:
As this discussion is evolving with this thread, any opinions as to why Harley is dabbling in bigger displacement engines with all the different choices from the 96" and up. Might they be playing with bigger bore EPA compliant engines so that the consumer has options instead of just stock and a CVO bike????

IMHO, the MoCo is going after the revenue spent in the aftermarket by those of us that believe these motorcycles should come from the factory with better heads, cams, etc. and make more TQ/HP out of the box. Two prime examples are the billet cam plates and higher capacity oil pumps introduced a few years back; took a big bite out of the gear drive aftermarket. A more recent example is this year's introduction of the "bolt in" 110" and 117" kits for the 103" and 110" motors; only way to achieve that displacement without case boring. It won't be long until the 120" motor is the "stock" motor for touring models and 110" stock for dynas and softails; one of each with the 110" motor is currently available.

Back