free website stats program Air cleaners | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Air cleaners

How does one go about that?
Why is it a bad thing?
You do not want the oil and moisture running back thru your intake and creating carbon build up, this is a bad thing and over time will cause your compression ratio to change a bit also, Jeff has posted Dolts way it is a good way, there are others, mine had a t fitting from the factory, I drilled a hole in my stock backing plate, ran the hose from the T fitting thru the hole ( nice tight fit) down between the front push rod tubes and down the frame under the floor board, I put a small engine fuel filter on the end

Many thanks for that Jack!:)

I did replace the entire intake system, I.e., new back plate (hi flow) like you have pictured, new gasket, o rings, breather bolts, air cleaner.
Just for the sake of discussion, the stock setup with stock back plate also reroutes the mist to the a/c and intake although it does go thru the a/c element. When I took it apart it was clean as a whistle, so I wonder if this is really an issue. As I understand it, the function here is really to prevent a vacuum being drawn on the heads and if the valves are timed correctly the amount going out should be very small.

Last edited:
Many thanks for that Jack!:)

I did replace the entire intake system, I.e., new back plate (hi flow) like you have pictured, new gasket, o rings, breather bolts, air cleaner.
Just for the sake of discussion, the stock setup with stock back plate also reroutes the mist to the a/c and intake although it does go thru the a/c element. When I took it apart it was clean as a whistle, so I wonder if this is really an issue. As I understand it, the function here is really to prevent a vacuum being drawn on the heads and if the valves are timed correctly the amount going out should be very small.
Russ, over time and @ high RPM there will be lots of oil and water vapor going thru your throttle plate, when I got back from my trip my small gas filter on the end of my hose was a bit milky white you know what that is RIGHT?

Russ, no need to replace the breather bolts with the barbed ones in the picture.
What I did was removed the breather bolts and drilled them out a little bit bigger and reinstalled.
Attached rubber hose to both breather bolts and ran them to a T fitting just below the air cleaner backing plate and ran a single hose from there.

I recently changed plugs, looking down the plug holes with a flashlight the top of the pistons looked nice and clean and I couldn't see any carbon buildup.

Russ, over time and @ high RPM there will be lots of oil and water vapor going thru your throttle plate, when I got back from my trip my small gas filter on the end of my hose was a bit milky white you know what that is RIGHT?
I think so, sounds like a mix of water gas and oil

Russ, no need to replace the breather bolts with the barbed ones in the picture.
What I did was removed the breather bolts and drilled them out a little bit bigger and reinstalled.
Attached rubber hose to both breather bolts and ran them to a T fitting just below the air cleaner backing plate and ran a single hose from there.

I recently changed plugs, looking down the plug holes with a flashlight the top of the pistons looked nice and clean and I couldn't see any carbon buildup.
Thanks Jack, I'm thinking your solution is best!

Last edited by a moderator:
So who has air cleaners besides DK with the Arlen Ness 10 Gauge that's has venting for both cylinders to vent external rather than recirculating it back into the engine? Post sites ect.

So who has air cleaners besides DK with the Arlen Ness 10 Gauge that's has venting for both cylinders to vent external rather than recirculating it back into the engine? Post sites ect.

Read post # 10, Screamin Eagle has a nice kit, that's what I run. The backing plate in the photo is part of the kit.

How does one go about that?
Why is it a bad thing?

Nobody ever realizes how much is vented to the intake. All it takes is to vent the breathers like the Dolt's post that Jack dug up. Then pinch off the vent pipe end. Be prepared to buy a new oil dipstick cause the resulting pressure buildup will send it on an impressive trajectory and distance. You ever see that white frothy buildup on your oil dipstick when you check the oil after short runs? When you check your oil after a long run and the white frothy substance (condensation) is gone? Guess where it went? Through the breather vent, albeit in the vapor form.

This is a picture of an older Evo back plate, Tho you can do the same to yours with a hole saw then vent the breathers like my brother Jeff and I did for cheap
130282d1280407025-high-flow-air-cleaner-cover-options-cimg3272.jpg

I want to let it vent out via each cylinder without having to modify drill cut ect, like the barrels DK offers, would be nice one for each cylinder and plug up air cleaner of choice.

Back