free website stats program Air cleaners | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Air cleaners

I want to let it vent out via each cylinder without having to modify drill cut ect, like the barrels DK offers, would be nice one for each cylinder and plug up air cleaner of choice.

Read post # 10, you don't have to use the barbed fittings as described. You can keep and use the stock air breathers. I only drilled mine out because I thought it would vent better but drill them is not necessary.

Read post # 10, you don't have to use the barbed fittings as described. You can keep and use the stock air breathers. I only drilled mine out because I thought it would vent better but drill them is not necessary.
I still am amazed HD did not go a bit bigger @ the factory, seems to me all my EVO engines had bigger diameter holes, it was a bit different set up, banjo bolt like a brake hose on a car caliper

Here is a set up, simple I believe this is how Jeff has his set up
20150218_180725-137474.jpg

e21100316.jpg

Here is what the Evo Head breathers looked like

images
This is what mine look like, I drilled the hole out a little larger and then reinstalled.
Ran a hose over each head and ran to a T, ran a single hose from T down under the right foot board.
Without drilling hole bigger this is a 10 minute job.

images
This is what mine look like, I drilled the hole out a little larger and then reinstalled.
Ran a hose over each head and ran to a T, ran a single hose from T down under the right foot board.
Without drilling hole bigger this is a 10 minute job.

Or less, I like the idea of vent to the ground.
I made a call to K&N and Vance&Hines and basically got the same reply from both about the venting thing. Accordingly, the venting gases, moisture, will be burned off in the next compression cycle. Right now I'm not going to change anything else and keep an eye on the intake.

I made a call to K&N and Vance&Hines and basically got the same reply from both about the venting thing. Accordingly, the venting gases, moisture, will be burned off in the next compression cycle. Right now I'm not going to change anything else and keep an eye on the intake.
Russ, I am going to load a picture of my set up, very similar to My brother Jeff, the clear filter @ the end of the hose will say it all IMO

That is correct and that burn off will leave a carbon residue on top of the pistons which, over a few thousand miles can become an issue. See the attached photos; two sets of pistons showing how quickly carbon can build up when breathers are vented into the intake (directly into to the combustion chamber, not passing through the air filter) and how clean pistons can look after many miles when breathers are vented to the atmosphere. If the photos don't convince you to vent to the atmosphere, nothing will......:confused:internal vent_8K.jpg external vent_27K.jpg

Another way to vent, without a hose from a T is also illustrated; used this method on my Deuce.breather vent.jpg

That is correct and that burn off will leave a carbon residue on top of the pistons which, over a few thousand miles can become an issue. See the attached photos; two sets of pistons showing how quickly carbon can build up when breathers are vented into the intake (directly into to the combustion chamber, not passing through the air filter) and how clean pistons can look after many miles when breathers are vented to the atmosphere. If the photos don't convince you to vent to the atmosphere, nothing will......:confused:View attachment 17167 View attachment 17168

Another way to vent, without a hose from a T is also illustrated; used this method on my Deuce.View attachment 17169
Russ, I am going to load a picture of my set up, very similar to My brother Jeff,

That is correct and that burn off will leave a carbon residue on top of the pistons which, over a few thousand miles can become an issue. See the attached photos; two sets of pistons showing how quickly carbon can build up when breathers are vented into the intake (directly into to the combustion chamber, not passing through the air filter) and how clean pistons can look after many miles when breathers are vented to the atmosphere. If the photos don't convince you to vent to the atmosphere, nothing will......:confused:View attachment 17167 View attachment 17168

Another way to vent, without a hose from a T is also illustrated; used this method on my Deuce.View attachment 17169
The breather set up is a kin to a car PCV system, IMO why would any one whant that garbage going back into the engine, fresh air in only JMO

Back